Notifications
Clear all

I've changed my mind about volume and tone controls

26 Posts
16 Users
0 Likes
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

different guitars with different pup arrangements benefit from different arrangements. most useful I've come across on a Strat-type is one volume, one treble cut and one bass cut. found on G&L and later Reverends. My T5 also has similar, but the bass and treble offer boost in addition to cut.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

One volume, one tone - I'm so used to my Tele now, anything else would seem almost unnatural. Although, having said that - when my Squire Custom Tele was my workhorse guitar, I liked the two volume & two tone controls on that - but that's got two humbuckers, and I used to switch between the bridge for rhythm and the neck for lead. The one thing I never liked on the Squier Tele was the placement of the p/u selector switch; all too easy to hit it mid-strum and knock it onto the neck p/u!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

One volume, one tone - I'm so used to my Tele now, anything else would seem almost unnatural. Although, having said that - when my Squire Custom Tele was my workhorse guitar, I liked the two volume & two tone controls on that - but that's got two humbuckers, and I used to switch between the bridge for rhythm and the neck for lead. The one thing I never liked on the Squier Tele was the placement of the p/u selector switch; all too easy to hit it mid-strum and knock it onto the neck p/u!

Vic

tried and true solutions:

1. bend the switch level down toward the floor. might want to remove the knob and do this carefully with two pliers (at least one a needlenose.)

2. starting with original Tele setup, neck direction to tail direction of PUP Switch, Volume, Tone: a) remove switch knob. remove control plate from Tele. remove two screws that hold the switch onto the control plate. remove switch, flip switch 180 degrees, then reinstall on plate. reinstall screws and knob. b) (optional) pull tone and volume knobs. remove tone and volume pots and then reinstall pots on the plate SWAPPING positions, so tone is closest to switch. reinstall tone and volume knobs. c) reinstall control plate on the Tele, but flipped 180 degrees. if you chose to perform step 2b, this new arrangement has from neck direction to tail direction: Volume, Tone, PUP Switch.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@notes_norton)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

different guitars with different pup arrangements benefit from different arrangements. most useful I've come across on a Strat-type is one volume, one treble cut and one bass cut. found on G&L and later Reverends. <..>.

I've never heard of that, but it sounds very good to me. Sounds like the tone can be more flexible with a bass and treble cut than just the treble cut.

If you cut both the lows and the highs is there a midrange band that is emphasized?

Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com Add-on Styles for Band-in-a-Box and Microsoft SongSmith

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

yes it does, but many wouldn't recognized it as a virtual midrange boost. often, we associate bass with midrange ... due to the proliferation of treble-cut tone controls. in combo with the right pups, a bit of bass roll-off creates some nice tight "vintage" tones -- more attack, less boom.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@notes_norton)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Thanks!

I like that. I've often been disappointed with the high cut action of the tone control. Bringing out the mids, often brings out the mud as well.

Next time I mod a guitar, that is exactly what I am going to try. I'm sure I can find the schematic diagram somewhere on the web.

Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com Add-on Styles for Band-in-a-Box and Microsoft SongSmith

ReplyQuote
 Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member

I chose "gobs." I really don't have the coordination to change knobs around when playing! So I enjoy the tone possibilities in having a lot of controls, but don't make any use of the simplicity to change while playing.

(If I want to change sounds, I can sometimes manage to step on a pedal without losing the beat, but not always!)

Best,
Ande

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Greg, thanks for the advice, but the p/u switch on the Custom Tele is in a completely different position to the standard Tele, as you might be able to see from this photo. Kind of in the same position as an LP - which is one possible reason I've never been so keen on LP's.

However, turning it round 180 degrees would certainly work - I only ever seem to hit it strumming upwards, so if the selector was in that position already, it wouldn't matter! I only tend to use the Squier these days in open G for slide, so it doesn't seem to happen anymore.

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@notes_norton)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I chose "gobs." I really don't have the coordination to change knobs around when playing! So I enjoy the tone possibilities in having a lot of controls, but don't make any use of the simplicity to change while playing.

(If I want to change sounds, I can sometimes manage to step on a pedal without losing the beat, but not always!)

Best,
Ande

I like the looks of guitars with lots of knobs and switches on them. Like those retro things on the Eastwood guitar page

They are so ugly they are actually attractive (like a bull dog)

But I don't think in this point in my guitar playing career, I'd be able to get to those knobs and back quickly enough.

Of course, I could install a master vol, master tone and then use the others whenever I have the time.

Oh-oh, I'm getting GAS again

Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Greg, thanks for the advice, but the p/u switch on the Custom Tele is in a completely different position to the standard Tele, as you might be able to see from this photo. Kind of in the same position as an LP - which is one possible reason I've never been so keen on LP's.

However, turning it round 180 degrees would certainly work - I only ever seem to hit it strumming upwards, so if the selector was in that position already, it wouldn't matter! I only tend to use the Squier these days in open G for slide, so it doesn't seem to happen anymore.

Vic

as I was writing it, I thought about that ... as well as the thinline, but couldn't recall ever seeing a pic of any but your orig Squier Tele. so that's the custom, eh? for some reason, I thought it was white or cream.

rotating the switch just enough so the direction of the switching motion is perpendicular to your strum might be optimal.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

You could swivel the switch through 90°, so that the travel is forward/backward, rather than up/down.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2