Clear all

John Mayer

13 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@simonhome-co-uk)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Ok so I've been playing for about 45 years now and I've only just checked Mayer's playing out...wow. How the hell did this guy slip under my radar? :shock:
First watched this vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umk2iDvO0dU ...Influences are quite obvious huh?

Id only really heard some more of commercial tunes so didn't pay him any heed. So now I was wondering - What are a couple of his more impressive songs from a guitar point of view? I've like to check some of em out.

cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

I can't tell you any of his songs but I had a similar impression of him about a year or so ago. I had heard some of his commercial stuff and caught him briefly on a few shows but didn't pay much attention.

About a year ago I saw him a couple times on TV really getting down on his guitar and he is a really good player. I think it was when he was doing that trio stuff.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@urbancowgirl)
Reputable Member

I saw him on TV on the Crossroads Guitar Festival a while back. He is a good guitar player, I will give him that. I've never been all that impressed with his songs that I have heard on the radio so I was kind of surprised to see him there.

All my life I wanted to be somebody. Now I see I should have been more specific.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Yes, John Mayer plays guitar quite well. His pop tunes are .... well pop tunes. They make him a lot more money than would only playing very good covers of blues tunes.

(Is he now also a GN moderator?)

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I don't care for his playing. it has gotten better in the last year. his own songs don't do a thing for me. when I see him on stage with the likes of Clapton, Cray and company he pales . I am surprised those guys have him up there. he makes weird guitar faces and his voice grates on my ears. I am reminded of Johnny Lang. he was tapped as the blues uber child and played on stage with Clapton etc. he finally dropped out, because he didn't relate to the blues.
I was waiting for the same fate for Mayer. it hasn't happened and he is surprising me. as I said, he is getting better. however, he does not bring anything new to that scene. not like young Derek Trucks.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@timezone)
Estimable Member

I don't like John Mayer's solo stuff very much either. (Your Body is a Wonderland, ugh. Got waay too much airplay.) But when he started doing his trio thing I liked him much better. I sort of get the sense that blues is what he really likes, but the pop songs pay the rent better. Is he really shaking things up in the guitar world? No, not really, but he's a pretty darn good player, all the same. His songwriting doesn't do a whole lot for me either, I think my favourite things I've heard out of him are Hendrix covers. So, a couple links:
wait until tomorrow
bold as love

TZ

ReplyQuote
(@ksac32)
Reputable Member

He is a good player-I really like the continuum cd and the Trio cd.
my favorite is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmpShCULwXk&feature=related
I just love this song. :D

http://www.soundclick.com/kensacco
http://www.soundclick.com/thetools

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I don't care for his playing. it has gotten better in the last year. his own songs don't do a thing for me. when I see him on stage with the likes of Clapton, Cray and company he pales . I am surprised those guys have him up there. he makes weird guitar faces and his voice grates on my ears. I am reminded of Johnny Lang. he was tapped as the blues uber child and played on stage with Clapton etc. he finally dropped out, because he didn't relate to the blues.
I was waiting for the same fate for Mayer. it hasn't happened and he is surprising me. as I said, he is getting better. however, he does not bring anything new to that scene. not like young Derek Trucks.

seconded

ReplyQuote
(@ness-k)
Estimable Member

I think John Mayer's song writing tastes overshadow the excellent guitatist he really is. For, John Mayer songs are hit and miss, but there is no doubt in my mind that he is a great guitar player. And oh by the way, the first album I ever bought was Room for Squares, mostly because of No Such Thing, but it's a good album, and I don't regret it.

"The Beauty of Music is my Sanity. Without it, I would simply lose my gravity, and blow away with the breeze." - Ness K(Aka Matt Harris)

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Only thing I've ever heard from him is the "Your Body Is A Wonderland" video, which I found highly amusing. One of these days I'll click on one of those video links.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

No Such Thing was the first JM tune I heard. It's certainly better than the average teenie pop.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

I enjoy his stuff. No doubt the kid has talent. When I first heard, "Your Body..." I was turned off by it but did not dismiss him as an artist. Glad I didn't. I really liked much of what came afterwards.

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

i have very rarely listened to pop music in quite a while, so when he first appeared on my radar i thought his style and playing were really quite good and i liked his stuff.
i understand that the pop image thing, and the teeny infatuation can pidgeon hole a lot of similar artists but i've always felt he was going to be a step above all of that, and imo he has not disappointed.

some say he tries to sound like this or that artist, or compare him to other singer songwriters that have a similar style, but i think he's earned his place and hope that he continues making good music.
i know i'll be listening. 8)

#4491....

ReplyQuote