Clear all

John Petrucci

8 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@jeffster1)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

One of my favourite guitarists. I've recently noticed something pretty subtle about his playing. He has amazing control of pinch harmonics. A lot of notes are "partially" harmonics, and others full out... Really pretty amazing.

What does guitarnoise think of him?

in b4 shredding sucks, no feeling etc etc.

(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

After joining Guitarnoise a few years back, Petrucci's was a name I kept coming across all over the forums - usually something along the lines of "If you want to hear how it should REALLY be done, then listen to Petrucci's playing on (insert song here.)

Amazing that I'd never heard the name before - and he's now one of my favourite guitarists. Usually the one I look up when I can't figure out what I'm in the mood for listening to....he's got something for every mood.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

Have seen him live many times. With DT and on the G3 tour. As far as I'm concerned, he's one of the best guitarists I've ever seen/heard. The guy is an excellent composer and lyricist as well. If I had to pick one person above all as my fav, I think it would have to be JP.

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

Amazing guitar player, composer and writer. He can shred, but is extremely tasteful and rarely descends into "guitar wankery".

Bass player for Undercover

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

I am a fan, though he's not my favorite. I shred land I prefer Satch's approach to melody and Gilbert's approach to fun. In prog land of course there's King Lerxst. For modern metal, I suppose JP's the dude ... Also gotta give him points for positive spirituality, which comes through in DT's music.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

... For modern metal, I suppose JP's the dude ... Also gotta give him points for positive spirituality, which comes through in DT's music.

Really? You see him more as a metal guitarist? I never would put him in in that category. Better said, I never think of him that way. DT does play metal, more prog metal than anything but I never tend to think of their music as metal. To me, metal is Pantera or bands like that. But my point is, I always think of Dream Theater as a prog band only. And as you said, they do have some pretty deep content to their songs. Something that I never really contributed to a metal band.

I just thought how wonderful it would be if JP and your man Lerxst collaborated. I think the music world would melt. :lol:

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Really? You see him more as a metal guitarist?

Prog-metal, definitely. You're right, "modern metal" as I said it could be taken the wrong way. I just meant not old-school Sabbathy metal. But some DT stuff gets reasonably heavy ... 8)

I coulda said he's my favorite Christian Metal guitarist, but don't want to offend Portnoy and Rudess. :lol:

I just thought how wonderful it would be if JP and your man Lerxst collaborated. I think the music world would melt. :lol:

It could happen, but would probably be something oddball like Liquid Tension Experiment. That's a cool JP project, btw. 8)

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

They do get heavy, no doubt. The Liquid Tension albums are great. I could see Lifeson and him getting together. I think it would be (or hope it would be) not such a heavy sound. Having Lifeson's sensibilities would be a good layer to work through.

ReplyQuote