Clear all

looking for a good acoustic guitar.

17 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@classicshredder999)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

i am looking for a good or decent acoustic guitar thats hopefully not thousands of dollars but is affordable. does anyone have anay suggestions on what i should get? and to let you all know i have all electric guitars and this is going to be my first acoustic.

(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

I have a feeling that the Epiphone John Lennon Ltd. is going to be a collectible. Looks nice, good tone, and charisma.

Ibanez Smartwood is a good value out there at the moment & can save you trying hundreds of guitars for good tone! :lol:

Seagull S6 or Entourage series are excellent IMO and you could get a pickup onboard. I played all 3 yesterday, liked them.

I can testify that Jasmine is good, if you want to save $$$? I played outdoors with this 2007 - 2009, and let others use it.

After selling, I meant to use the Takamine A/E which you might like - it is a stage guitar appointed with gold & abalone. It would reflect the spotlights nicely like other 'performer' guitars, & can be had very reasonably. But I sold it to a woman.

Here's a Canadian site, you can find dozens of retailers in the US. The Cort LC500 is a no-brainer buy - I'm jealous that I only have an Earth 100 - notice how the package is a super deal. The playability and sound are like guitars costing thousands. They are the same as Tanglewood and I think of Taylor/China when I play mine. It's my new outdoor guitar.

http://www.mccshoponline.com/cgi-bin/musicstore/wwstore.cgi?order=store_title&overlord=Search+Products&store_title=Cort

If it is not convenient for you to see these and you live close to a Crafter dealer, give them a whirl - I like their stuff too.

I bought my daughter the Crafter 12, and she lets me use it now, since I sold the '62 Gibson due to the fact that Crafter had better tone. Other Crafters in stores seem to bear the same qualities, and are worth more than their price IMO. :P

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
(@classicshredder999)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

thanks for your opinion bluejay. i like all three of them but the one i love the most is the 2nd one, the black one.

ReplyQuote
(@grungesunset)
Honorable Member

I don't have a lot of experience with acoustic guitars and only own 2. I would suggestion an Ovation Celebrity Deluxe.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ovation-Celebrity-Deluxe-SS-CC48-AcousticElectric-Guitar?sku=583194

Like you, I started on an electric guitar and I found this ideal to make the transition. The body was reletively thin, the strings are heavier than an electric but on the light side for an acoustic so it wasn't that much harder to fret. The draw backs are that compared to other acoustics it doesn't sound as loud acoustically. It can be heard playing around a group of friends but I wouldn't recommend it for anything else without an amp. Also, I don't know if you plan to shop online or at a store but I would recommend against ordering online unplayed. Ovations have bowl shaped backs with varying depths. When it comes to these, most people either love how they feel or hate them. Mine is super shallow and it fits against my body. It does like to tilt up if I play when standing though.

"In what, twisted universe does mastering Eddie Van Halen's two handed arpeggio technique count as ABSOLUTELY NOTHING?!" - Dr Gregory House

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

What is affordable?

ReplyQuote
(@classicshredder999)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

affordable for me is around 600 dollars at the moment

ReplyQuote
(@classicshredder999)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

the ovation looks good in black in my opinion and it probally plays good. im might end up buying that if its only 430 dollars.

thanks grungesunset

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Cool.

You have a lot of options, there is the Seagull Maritime and Coastline series, Epiphone Masterbuilt, Taylor 110...

For just a little more money, you can get a Breedlove Retro, a keeper of a guitar.

I'm a big fan of Taylor guitars though.

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

thanks for your opinion bluejay. i like all three of them but the one i love the most is the 2nd one, the black one.

Thank you. 8)

We expect a lot of action on your question. Threads like this have brought a lot of valuable input and points of view in the past. Replies offer many choices with experience and so much out there. I expect $400 and up but try for less, often. I really get a kick if I can use a $200 guitar - that's reverse snobbery, or play a $50 beater that I recycle and fix up. :shock:

I looked up the Takamine's for you, but I know they're available because I saw them all in the store, the other day. They have blacks, with or without cutaways, electronics etc. There's a cool black model with a whole dragon on the front, lower bout - remarkable mother of pearl inlay work for under $800 but the tone was not the best. Other Taks have better tone.

http://www.takamine.com/?fa=series&sid=524

Seagulls will have better tone too, but not the look. Great guitars; faultless, ditto again to Nick on that. I just completed a purchase as you know, replacing the other Model 6's that I let go in the past, I got a 1992 this time (last year for that before S6) and have an offer in on an Entourage with onboard electronics. Also, what Nick said, there's Breedlove Retro, and also the Roots which will blow one's mind. I tried them very conveniently nearby. The Ovations are nice in black with Adamas leaf design IMO. Yamaha makes good painted guitars. And what can I say, I wanted to end up with a Taylor, to fulfill a dream and hang on to it but I looked at "everything" new & used, over 2,000 guitars this year and I played at least 250 in 5 months. I don't have to count, I only guess and found a "forever" & always Tacoma for keeps no doubt. :lol:

Like a bird on the wire,

ReplyQuote
(@classicshredder999)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

the takamine you was mentioning sounded cool probally looks awesome too with the dragon design and pearl, just wish i had 800 dollars to get something like that. and thanks bluejay and everyone else for helping me out on this question because i know absolutely nothing about acoustic guitars.

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

For my part, it was a pleasure and you're welcome again. I edited and made mention of the Breedlove traditional guitars.

Like a bird on the wire,

ReplyQuote
(@classicshredder999)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

just wish i had a guitar that plays well and looks great.

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

Pardon me, here's good looks, playability and price! I played the gloss black NDX and a few others recently. I might get it to tool around with as an A/E if my offer on the Seagull remains 'unaccepted'. Yes, I try for discounts, since I buy many?

http://www.cortguitars.com/acoustic_guitars

If I was looking (I am always looking?) I would get really, really excited about these, looks and quality, and the sound! :D

Like a bird on the wire,

ReplyQuote
(@classicshredder999)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

i absolutly love the cort evl seris it looks amazing and i need to get it, i just must!

ReplyQuote
(@classicshredder999)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

i like thier basses also (yes i play bass).

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2