Notifications
Clear all

Mic Advice??

34 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Ummmmmm .... It says it requires phantom power. Don't think your keyboard amp has phantom power ... does it? :? Maybe it does .. ummm

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Yup. Got's phantom power on all four channels. The guy said it was battery too, but I didn't investigate yet. Most certainly will.

I got it home, got my stand set up and discovered that neither the mic nor the stand comes with any sort of clip. DOH! Oh well. For the time being, I arranged a fastening using a few of those cable velcro straps. Anyhow, I plug 'er in, check volume and it works just like advertised. I gave it a few tests and got it where I thought I'd like it. I got my V-amp attached to it on another channel. Guiatr plugged in and strummed away. Yup, it worked. Vocals and guitar getting along just fine.

So my son all of a sudden makes an appearance out of his room. He walks over, checks it out, gives me the thumbs up and walks over to the drum set. Wasting no time at all, he finds a groove on the electric drums to match what I was doing as a test. I broke right into the easy classic, "Knocking On Heaven's Door" with him on drums and me singing into the mic and my guitar into another channel. The amp did really well pumping out three channels and we had a blast. Worth every cent I spent today.

Then I had to change settings on my VAMP and practice some Metallica licks I learned. We jammed to that type of thing for about 30 minutes. Gobs of fun. Glad I had my best ear plug in. :)

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Cool!

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Glad to hear about the phantom power. You had me worried for a bit there Roy. Glad it is working out. Most cool!

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I dodged a bullet I didn't even know about. I assumed all were phantom power until today.

So, if I go into a place and buy a stand, cable and mic and neither piece came with a clip, wouldn't you think it would have been suggested to me? Another trip across town. Kind of frustrating.

I just hope that I didn't goof by accepting the $250 mic for $100 instead of the $100 mic I went in for. Same brand and looked similar. The guy told me it's much cleaner or clearer or something along those lines. Regrdless, A bargain is not good if it does not do what you want.

I think it's OK. sounds fine. VERY specific vocal range. I was impressed. My USB mic can pick up anything in the room. This thing is so particular about where you sing and in what direction. I now know why it looks like singers have the mics right at their lips.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@diceman)
Reputable Member

It sounds like you got a heck of a deal . The only thing I would caution you about is getting too much moisture on the microphone element . Condenser microphones are sensitive to moisture and most manuals will tell you to use a wind screen or a pop filter to prevent damage from the moisture expelled in one's breath . Take care of it and I'm sure it will give you many years of reliable service .

If I claim to be a wise man , it surely means that I don't know .

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

Hokey Dokey. I got the http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Shure-Beta-87A-Supercardioid-Condenser-Mic?sku=270168 for the same price. It's supposed to be better and is certainly priced as if it were. Hopefully it was a good decision. Thoughts?

Whoa! That's a major score, Roy!

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Kewl. That's great. I wanted to hear that it was a good score or at least on par with what I was after. 8)

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

I dodged a bullet I didn't even know about. I assumed all were phantom power until today.

So, if I go into a place and buy a stand, cable and mic and neither piece came with a clip, wouldn't you think it would have been suggested to me? Another trip across town. Kind of frustrating.

for some reason, I keep thinking Shure always supplies a box/bag and a clip with its mics. but even if true, the deal you got would be worth a missing clip.
I just hope that I didn't goof by accepting the $250 mic for $100 instead of the $100 mic I went in for. Same brand and looked similar. The guy told me it's much cleaner or clearer or something along those lines. Regrdless, A bargain is not good if it does not do what you want.

condenser mics are usually more revealing than dynamics, having wider, flatter frequency responses, most notably at highs, where details pop. as a result, many vocalists find them more "critical ", which is both good and bad. if you have a good voice with interesting nuances, this is almost always a plus. if you need to hide those "nuances" and beef up your vocal tone -- well, a '58 usually does a good job of that. the condenser will probably make a much better instrument mic -- detail, flatness, etc.
I think it's OK. sounds fine. VERY specific vocal range. I was impressed. My USB mic can pick up anything in the room. This thing is so particular about where you sing and in what direction. I now know why it looks like singers have the mics right at their lips.

that's the super part of the supercardioid. the sensitivity on the main axis (in front) is highly exaggerated, so the sweet spot over a very narrow angle. some singers have found the easiest way to nail the sweet spot and stay on it is to touch or nearly touch the mic -- but got to be careful of contact noise and spit. supercardioids are even better at resisting feedback than others: the minimum "safe" pointing angle toward PA monitors or mains is smaller than for a cardioid, making supers a bit easier for high volume (really end-to-end gain) and/or tight stage use.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

It's got a bag, but no clip. Perhaps it was nicked for in store (studio or stage) use or something.

Someone mentioned a pop screen for protection. Sounds like a good application based on your description. Cheap enough, so why not.

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

that's the super part of the supercardioid. the sensitivity on the main axis (in front) is highly exaggerated, so the sweet spot over a very narrow angle. some singers have found the easiest way to nail the sweet spot and stay on it is to touch or nearly touch the mic -- but got to be careful of contact noise and spit.
Bugs me to see singers hold a mic vertically in front of them like an ice cream cone.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

that's the super part of the supercardioid. the sensitivity on the main axis (in front) is highly exaggerated, so the sweet spot over a very narrow angle. some singers have found the easiest way to nail the sweet spot and stay on it is to touch or nearly touch the mic -- but got to be careful of contact noise and spit.
Bugs me to see singers hold a mic vertically in front of them like an ice cream cone.

well, that wouldn't work well with a supercarioid -- poor off-axis response.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Would be kinda like pointing your PA speakers away from the audience.

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

for some reason, I keep thinking Shure always supplies a box/bag and a clip with its mics. but even if true, the deal you got would be worth a missing clip.

they do. still a great bargain tho! congrats Roy.

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I think all's I need is some sort of cheap clip, like this? http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/ProLine-Rubber-Microphone-Clip?sku=279102 I should find out tomorrow what he has.
Would be kinda like pointing your PA speakers away from the audience.
That just goes to show you why I bought this stuff a month or two earlier than I needed it. I wanted to A: get used tp hearing my voice amped, and 2, get used to the nuances of using a mic. I think that having clearly defined points for different results is a great thing. I'm sure it assists my learning the mic process.
but got to be careful of contact noise and spit.
Am I correct in assuming that one of those pop filters will assist? Something like this: http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Musicians-Gear-Double-Pop-Filter-?sku=483280

I just reminded myself of the makeshirt pop guard I made for my Blue Snowball USB mic. I had it wrapped in a cloth napkin type material when doing "I Walk The Line" for dogbite.

Roy

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3