Clear all

most annoying things...

79 Posts
24 Users
0 Likes
(@ballybiker)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

six months in and this rarely happens now...i have new things to annoy me :roll:

but my pet hate was the way i'd jam the pick and it would fall in the sound hole....then the really annoying part....like the toy/game of getting the ball bearings to drop into holes.....wiggling about and shaking the guitar upside down.....GRRRRRRRRRRR!! :x :x :x

So what really winds you up?

what did the drummer get on his I.Q. test?....

Drool

http://www.myspace.com/ballybiker

(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

My biggest thing is not fitting in with the other guitarists around me. There is this unwritten list of guitarists you HAVE to like, Clapton, Hendrix, Stevie Ray Vaughn, David Gilmour, they're all on it. Unforunately, I don't like any of them, I've even been told I'm broken as a guitarist because of it. The biggest thing is when I'm with other people that play, I don't fit in. When they talk about some vibrato Clapton does on some song I've never heard of, on an album I've never heard of and I have no idea what they are talking about. I'm the only one into metal, they are into blues and R+B. It's really hard to find common ground.

ReplyQuote
(@minus_human)
Reputable Member

i get what youre saying OWA - i remember going for guitar lessons and my teacher playing me a SRV DVD and although i appreciate the guy as a great player i did'nt really care for it much.

I think there's 3 groups when it comes to playing guitar the group that use the guitar as the only tool to get their message/music/emotion accross (satriani - vai - and some u listed) the group that uses it to add to how they get their music/message/emotion accross and the group of people who's in the middle, sometimes playing in group 1 and sometimes in group 2.

I guess that's why kurt cobain was and never would have been the best guitarist around. for me he falls in group 2 and that's where i am too i guess, i never cared much for endless solos and the like.

o yeah my most annoying thing.. people who don;t stop at 4 way stops !!!!!!!! give me truck so i can ram through them from time to time that would be killer!!.
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Minus Human

And all the things you said to me
I need your arms to welcome me
But a cold stone's all I see

Let my heart go

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

I've got this one cable that's kinda falling apart. So every now and then I have to shake the cable around until it works again, that get's old real quick when trying to record something...
I think there's 3 groups when it comes to playing guitar the group that use the guitar as the only tool to get their message/music/emotion accross (satriani - vai - and some u listed) the group that uses it to add to how they get their music/message/emotion accross and the group of people who's in the middle, sometimes playing in group 1 and sometimes in group 2.

So just because you sing between your guitar solos you fall in group two? And that means you can't be 'the best'? So the best guitarist is required to have no other musical skills whatsoever? Or am I missing something?

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

You don't HAVE to like anybody's guitar work. Whoever told you you were "broken as a guitarist" because of not being a fan of certain famous players is foolish. However, there are things to appreciate, learn from and apply to your own repertoire of skills from any of them. I can appreciate that lots of players I hear enthusiastically mentioned on this board are great at what they do, even though their style of music may not be my cup of tea. I spent much of my morning boogying around with R.L. Burnside's Mississippi Hill Country Blues playing on my iPod. I don't own anything by Vai or Satriani, and likely never will. R.L. Burnside was a fantastic guitarist IMO. I wish I could get his boogie groove down!

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I've never not liked a guitarist for their technical chops. I love Dan Donegan of Disturbed. He can shred, do harmonics and two handed tapping. Stevie Ray Vaughan does a lot of crazy things. The difference between Dan and Stevie? Dan plays music I'm into, Stevie does not.

It's hard to find common ground on GN too. I see threads here about Clapton's unplugged album or Hendrix at woodstock and I'm like...........uhh.........yeah. David Gilmour's emotional solos............I've seen Morgan Lander(Kittie) cover one of his songs and solo with a slide.......is that worth something? Wayne Static (Static-X) bobs his head like Jimi did............

The closest I ever got was when someone posted Gary Moore's Over The Hills and Far Away. I have no idea who Gary Moore is, but I love the Nightwish version of the song.

Not saying people have to broaden their tastes or anything. We like what we like. But I had to vent my frustration.

So.......who else besides me has heard Static-X?

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

One of my biggest pet peeves is when two (or more) people will stop and stand in a doorway to conduct a conversation, and though they see you approaching from a long way off, they continue to block the door so you have to stop and say, "Excuse me, may I pass through?" and then they finally move. HELLOOOO!! :roll:

But that's not guitar-related, so instead I'll say.....I HATE when I don't have enough electrical sockets available within reach for the stuff I need to plug in. :evil:

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Margaret, just run down to the nearest friendly farm supply store and pick up a cattle prod. Problem solved.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@minus_human)
Reputable Member

I've got this one cable that's kinda falling apart. So every now and then I have to shake the cable around until it works again, that get's old real quick when trying to record something...

So just because you sing between your guitar solos you fall in group two? And that means you can't be 'the best'? So the best guitarist is required to have no other musical skills whatsoever? Or am I missing something?

yes group 3 :D

Minus Human

And all the things you said to me
I need your arms to welcome me
But a cold stone's all I see

Let my heart go

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

What really winds me up?

The plane lands, comes to a stop and morons jump up and block the gangway. They can't get out because the doors aren't open yet, and the plane isn't going to take off again until they're off and a new load of passengers are on board, but they insist on blocking the gangway. The same people do the same thing on the train in the mornings when it comes into Fenchurch Street station.

Sulk

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@ballybiker)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

it was meant to be guitar related...but what the heck.......moan away guys :lol:

what did the drummer get on his I.Q. test?....

Drool

http://www.myspace.com/ballybiker

ReplyQuote
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

20 foot guitar cables that insist on curling up into a pretzel shape.
I've bought pricey, I've bought cheap and they all do it. :evil: :evil:
Is there a fix?

Don

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Yeah - don't turn the same way all the time.

Guitar-related moans? Why classical pieces are fingered in the most unhelpful way. I'm sure it works for someone, but it sure as heck ain't easy.

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

My biggest thing is not fitting in with the other guitarists around me. There is this unwritten list of guitarists you HAVE to like, Clapton, Hendrix, Stevie Ray Vaughn, David Gilmour, they're all on it. Unforunately, I don't like any of them, I've even been told I'm broken as a guitarist because of it. The biggest thing is when I'm with other people that play, I don't fit in. When they talk about some vibrato Clapton does on some song I've never heard of, on an album I've never heard of and I have no idea what they are talking about. I'm the only one into metal, they are into blues and R+B. It's really hard to find common ground.

All I can say to that is find some musicians to play with who share your tastes in music .... if you're all singing from the same hymn sheet, so to speak, there'll be fewer arguments along the lines of what shall we play? and of course no one will tell anyone else "you're too loud" because you'll ALL be too loud.....OK, I'm just joking on the last part, but seriously, find some people to play with who do share your taste....or close to it.

And you should never forget that the Claptons, Hendrixes, Gilmours and SRV's of this world spent YEARS practising their craft - just like Dan Donegan and Morgan Lander have. It's a big world, and there's room for plenty more guitarists, whatever their taste or style.

My pet gripe? There's a lot of things I'm good at that came easily to me....but the one thing I really want to be good at takes hours and hours of practise and I'm still nowhere near the standard I'd like to be.....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

six months in and this rarely happens now...i have new things to annoy me :roll:

but my pet hate was the way i'd jam the pick and it would fall in the sound hole....then the really annoying part....like the toy/game of getting the ball bearings to drop into holes.....wiggling about and shaking the guitar upside down.....GRRRRRRRRRRR!! :x :x :x

So what really winds you up?

I rarely use a pick, and if I do, it'll be on an electric - grow some fingernails. Problem solved. Another few months and you might want to start fingerpicking anyway.....I also find I get less unwanted percussive noises strumming with my nails rather than a pick. And of course, it's be difficult to lose your finger inside an acoustic......

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 6