Clear all

MSRP vs. Retail

14 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Just a question about the pricing in retail and online outlets.

I keep seeing in alot of online outlets, and in big box stores something like MRSP: $785 Our Price: $549 (As in the Ibanez Classical I own)

Of course every guitar site has this guitar for the price of $549, so it's not exactly "Their Price" I was just wondering what the difference is in MSRP and the "Retail Price" if no retail outlet will sell it for MSRP?

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

The MSRP, or Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price, is the price that the manufacturer thinks their product should sell for, (in theory anyways). If you ask me, I think the "retail" price is the MSRP, (since all of the retailers sell it for that same price), and the MSRP listed is just there so that you think you're getting a good deal. All part of the sales game. :wink:

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

The reason I asked is because I went to Sam Ash and bought a Guitar Research Hollow Body and it came with a hard shell case, the problem was, they couldn't find the case, and said that I was getting over 50% off so they wouldn't give me one.

I brought up that it was a bunch of crap and would contact the BBB, and the corporate offices because EVERY store sells it for that, they weren't special so they found a beater hard shell and gave it to me. I still may contact the corporate office, or just go ahead and return it. But it is a great guitar, so I don't know.

The guitar I bought after my trade-in and 20% off coupon was $240, the sticker was $399, and the MSRP was $999

It was the Guitar Research JX17S Hollow Body Eddie Durham 100th Anniversary Guitar.

ReplyQuote
(@bmancv-60)
Estimable Member

The reason I asked is because I went to Sam Ash and bought a Guitar Research Hollow Body and it came with a hard shell case, the problem was, they couldn't find the case, and said that I was getting over 50% off so they wouldn't give me one.

I brought up that it was a bunch of crap and would contact the BBB, and the corporate offices because EVERY store sells it for that, they weren't special so they found a beater hard shell and gave it to me. I still may contact the corporate office, or just go ahead and return it. But it is a great guitar, so I don't know.

The guitar I bought after my trade-in and 20% off coupon was $240, the sticker was $399, and the MSRP was $999

It was the Guitar Research JX17S Hollow Body Eddie Durham 100th Anniversary Guitar.

I would make the contacts - if it was supposed to come with a case then they should have ordered one if they couldn't "find" it. There is no reason you should have to settle for a beater unless it was a loaner until the new one came in.

If you couldn't tell, I'm sick of taking crap from retail stores and take them to task if warranted. I understand if someone is trying to get over on them, but the time for gouging is over. Leaving the soapbox now... :lol:

"...I don't know - but whasomever I do, its gots ta be FUNKY!"

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

It's all BS. The make up whatever price they want. MSRP is just a pie in the sky number and no one should ever pay that

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

the only benchmark price that matters is what the store actually paid (bulk or wholesale) for the item -- and they are unlikely to tell you that for obvious reasons. the internet seems to have become the great price equalizer for commodity items. but this is clear from numerous purchases I been able to make from my local store at "below online prices": the online price is not the best one can get for 'regular' pricing. I can usually get 10% off online cost just by asking "what can you do on the price." this is not GC or SA, but a regionally known, family-owned store that does a lot of biz.

here's the wikipedia entry on MSRP -- moderately interesting: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suggested_retail_price

Guitar Research is a budget priced, and probably a very high margin (profit) brand. not even sure what MSRP means for such a brand, but you should have no problem getting a killer deal on GR stuff, as it is always being blown out.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I found that I actually got a great deal on the Guitar Research Guitar (or Schecter, whichever you prefer, I don't know the difference but thought they were the same company)

I took it to a Luthier to get it setup today and he said something about the guitar being about $1100 a few years ago since it was a limited edition (which is why they couldn't order the case.) Made me feel a bit better about the guitar, or at least the price I paid for it.

As far as the case goes, I contacted the corporate office and they told me that it was the stores discretion on the case if they didn't have it, and that I didn't have to buy it if it didn't come with everything the tag said. I thought that was poor customer services, but the case they gave me does the job, it's not like I'm on the road touring or anything :lol:
It's all BS. The make up whatever price they want. MSRP is just a pie in the sky number and no one should ever pay that
I agree, but even the manufacturer of guitars puts the MSRP Price on their website, so if you order it through them then do you pay 30-40% more straight from the manufacturer?

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

I agree, but even the manufacturer of guitars puts the MSRP Price on their website, so if you order it through them then do you pay 30-40% more straight from the manufacturer?

i agree as well but forewarned is forearmed as they say.
most manufacturers do not sell directly, so you have to go through distributors.
MSRP as stated before, is usually only pertinent to us (consumers) as it separates the various levels of products by a ceiling price (IMO) at least that's how I've kinda used it. otherwise it's pretty useless.
sounds like you made out pretty well.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@bmancv-60)
Estimable Member

I took it to a Luthier to get it setup today and he said something about the guitar being about $1100 a few years ago since it was a limited edition (which is why they couldn't order the case.) Made me feel a bit better about the guitar, or at least the price I paid for it.

As far as the case goes, I contacted the corporate office and they told me that it was the stores discretion on the case if they didn't have it, and that I didn't have to buy it if it didn't come with everything the tag said. I thought that was poor customer services, but the case they gave me does the job, it's not like I'm on the road touring or anything :lol:

My point exactly - "go someplace else if you don't like it" attitude! :evil: Wonder how long that would last if enough people did what they suggest. I would have walked away for you if you hadn't got such a good deal on the guitar! :lol:

Congrats!

"...I don't know - but whasomever I do, its gots ta be FUNKY!"

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

I found that I actually got a great deal on the Guitar Research Guitar (or Schecter, whichever you prefer, I don't know the difference but thought they were the same company)

companies use different brand names to separate their products into tiers. it seems not every guitar Schecter Guitar Research produces is a called a "Schecter." yours may be, but there have been a number of what appear to be special runs for big market stores. and then of course there is Daisy Rock -- def a special market guitar.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

companies use different brand names to separate their products into tiers. it seems not every guitar Schecter Guitar Research produces is a called a "Schecter."

Right, it's like the Gibson -- Epiphone, or Fender -- Squire thing.

This doesn't say Schecter anywhere on the guitar, but when I googled the Guitar Research name and that's the site that came up.

I don't really know what this guitar is made of, but I think alot of the price is the fact that it was Limited Edition, I can't seem to really find anything on the internet about it, eBay for about $700-750 is the only thing that I've found.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

no matter what it is or what it cost, may you produce a lot of good music with it.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

As far as the case goes, I contacted the corporate office and they told me that it was the stores discretion on the case if they didn't have it, and that I didn't have to buy it if it didn't come with everything the tag said. I thought that was poor customer services..............

I would write to the company and say that you understand their position and they will, therefore, have no problem if you inform the BBB of it. They will also, you're sure, understand if you make your feelings on the matter known to the BBB. Nor will they, of course, mind if you let the guitar playing community know of their position on this matter.

Don't get nasty, don't threaten, just let them know your position - politely. They'll love that. 8)

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

So I contacted the BBB today and then informed Sam Ash corporate of what I did and why.....we'll see what happens, mostly nothing, from what I understand if you order something online from them you get the same kind of service if something goes wrong. They seem to think that their prices are special even if it's the same price as everywhere else.

At least the guitar plays great and sounds incredible!

ReplyQuote