Notifications
Clear all

Multi FX Pedal Recommendations

12 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@nitsua)
Topic starter  

I am a new guitar player who mostly plays around with an acoustic. However, I do have an electric guitar and I am currently looking for an effects pedal.

Initially I was going to just buy something like the Boss DS-1 or Blues Driver but then I discovered Multi FX pedals and thought that would be the way to go. Since I really don't know what I am doing it would be nice to have plenty of effects to play around with and possibly even some preset configurations. My budget is pretty much anything below $100.

I tried to look at some of the pedals recommended in the Staff Picks post but was unable to find a Korg AX10G or any of the listed Zoom products. Currently I am looking at the Krog AX5G ($70), Zoom G1x ($80), or the Zoom G1 ($60). I was just wondering if anyone had any recommendations or opinions regarding the listed choices or any other ideas.

I have been itching to buy a pedal for a while now and it's about time to finally bite the bullet and order one.

Thanks!

(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

What's your amp?

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@riff-raff)
Reputable Member

A multi effects processor is a great way to get a ton of different effects in a small package. However, it can be mind boggling. Especially for a first pedal. You will find yourself adjusting the pedal more than actual playing guitar.

I have a Digitech RP80. It sounds pretty good to my ears. My favorite thing about the pedal is all the different amps and cabinet models. I hardly use any of the effects besides reverb. I never play it through an amp though. I mostly use it for playing through headphones.

ReplyQuote
(@vanzant38)
Reputable Member

Here's a V-amp 2 from Behringer. It's a refurb for $79. Backordered: Available 08-31-2007

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Behringer-VAMP-2-Amp-Modeler?sku=480674V

My dad would always talk about retirement, and allude to the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. And I say all you've got at the end of the rainbow is death. You're riding the rainbow right now. - Mark Borchardt

ReplyQuote
(@nitsua)
Topic starter  

slejhamer: My amp is a pathetic little 10W practice amp that was bundled with my guitar. I can't even recall the name of it. Like I said, I mostly play acoustic, but if I grow fond of my electric then a good quality amp will be my next purchase.

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

the AX5G $70 has replaced the AX10G (i have one) and looks like a great little multi with an expression pedal built in.

heres a good pic

here's the linky to MFs page
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Toneworks-AX5G-Guitar-Multieffect-Pedal-?sku=160000

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

I picked up a V-AMP2 used last year on E-Bay, and it satisfies my current effects craving.

At some point, when I discover that I mostly use only certain parts of it, I'll likely get better quality dedicated pedals for just those effects that I use.
But until then, I have lots of sounds to play around with.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@nitsua)
Topic starter  

vanzant38 and kent_eh: Thanks, I'll have to look into the V-AMP2 when I get a chance.

TwistedLefty: Any complaints about the AX10G since similar problems are probably found in the AX5G?

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

vanzant38 and kent_eh: Thanks, I'll have to look into the V-AMP2 when I get a chance.

TwistedLefty: Any complaints about the AX10G since similar problems are probably found in the AX5G?

i only use it at home jamming/recording with friends so i cannot comment to its performance in a pro or gigging environment, but the only thing i would have changed is not an issue with the ax5g.

i hate the AX10Gs chrome knob selector thingys because they have white printing on them and are very hard to read in all but perfect lighting.
other than that, it's a great piece of kit (to quote our friends over the pond)

#4491....

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

I have a Zoom G2.1u and I very happy with it. It is the next step, you said you are thinking on G1 but it includes several valuable things as for example an expression pedal, a USB port and the Cubase LE software. Use the search option looking for Zoom G2 because you can find several opinions and music samples.

Nuno

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

If you're playing an acousitc through as good amp, try the Zoom 504 and 504II. Great effects.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@nitsua)
Topic starter  

I think I am going to go with the Korg AX5G. Its not that expensive, but hopefully there will be plenty of effects for me to play around with. It will also leave some money in my pocket that will be put towards a quality amp sometime in the future.

Thanks Everyone

ReplyQuote