Notifications
Clear all

Music moves me.

31 Posts
26 Users
0 Likes
(@azraeldrah)
Estimable Member

songs to me are a combination of two arts, poetry and music, thats why they have such a huge effect on me.

essential songs are:

This is a low - blur
Rock the hell outa you - Lordi
I wish i had an angel - Nightwish
Tainted love - Softcell
You shook me all night long - AC/DC
We will rock you + We are the champions - Queen (two of my anthems)

im sure theres more but i dont want to write a HUGE list.

This signature is a forgery.

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

I don't really have any specific songs to mention, but there are bands that really mean a lot to me. Coheed & Cambria, in my opinion, is an amazing group. Something I've noticed about them is that all their fans are rabid fans. Some people don't like them, and some people think they're okay but aren't really fans. Then there are their fans, who, when you tell them you like Coheed, lurch towards you before they stop themselves from hugging you (true story). I've never felt bad while I listened to Coheed. I feel the same way about Joe Satriani, but to a lesser degree.

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Well...
After 9/11, I was so into watching the news, I barely went out ya know? I hadn't heard any music for around two weaks after it happened. Then I was in the car, and I put on "The Stranger" (Billy Joel) it was very relieving, I guess is the word. To have music once again. You never realize how much you love something until you don't have it for a while, and then come back to it.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@karla)
Estimable Member

here's a few of my favorites... the first ones I thought of when reading this topic
runaway train - soul asylum
butterfly kisses - bob dylan
bittersweet - apocalyptica
words - the beegees
livin on a prayer - bon jovi
i'm ready - bryan adams
good riddance - green day
and ofcourse songs like we are the champions, hey jude...

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

So much about music just seems to get intertwined with your life experiences.

I don't know about the rest of you but almost every song I listen to, especially if it's an older tune brings up some type of memory of the past.

Where I was at the time? What I was doing, maybe a girl or whatever, but they all seem to bring back both good and the bad memories.

There's way to much music for me to list that has made an impression on me, it's pretty much every song that I've ever liked to hear.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Got the same thing in a way. Everytime I hear some music during something special that song gets burned in my head. And my opinion of that song depends pretty much of what was happening.

ReplyQuote
(@snarfy)
Estimable Member

And what really amazes me is that there are people out there - I've known plenty of them - who DON'T feel this way, who are indifferent to music. People who view music as just a way to drown out the silence, and to provide background noise.

I don't get it.

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

I remember buying , August and everything After, by Counbting Crows when it first came out mainly because I like the song Mr. Jones.

Anyway, I had just got divorced and was living alone in a pretty crappy apartment working two jobs to survive and I remember coming home with that CD and putting in the CD player, closed all the blinds so the room was dark and lit a couple candles and some inscence and just laid back and listened to that album all night....I fell in love with every song on that album and there aren't too many albums I like cover to cover.

I can't even describe the feelings that the music brought me it was almost surreal and even though the particular time in my life wasn't all that fun when ever I hear that album it instantly brings me back to that time, but it doesn't really bring back bad memories, it's almost as if I get memories of the music actually helping me cope at that time so my memories of it are good.

Now on the other hand a few years later shortly after a breakup with my girlfriend I heard a song by a band called Shellac, the song was "Prayer to God" and it ended up being the first song I played on guitar. Now that song epitomizes every emotion I had running through my body at the time...it was a real release to play that one.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@purple)
Reputable Member

Music is one of the most spiritual experiences, so I have to say music is my religion. Musicians are the preachers, their music is the sermon and the stage is their altar. Some songs that I couldn't live with out:

In My Time of Dying, Kashmir - Led Zeppelin (and everything else they've done)
The Funeral March - Chopin
Wish You Were Here - Pink Floyd
Unchained Melody - Righteous Brothers
Marco Polo - Loreena Mckennit
Doll Parts - Hole
Hurt - Johnny Cash version which IMHO is more "honest" than NIN's
One More Cup of Coffee - Dylan

And MANY MANY more......

It's not easy being green.... good thing I'm purple.

ReplyQuote
(@cabreraluvr7)
Estimable Member

This is a very interesting topic. I agree music is one of the most important things in my life. I love guitar and listening to music but my true passion is performing on stage. Not like in a band. I'm in a show that my town puts on every year for the public schools. It's called E.O.E.(Evening Of Entertainment) I can truely say I get a high from it. It's kinda like browdway. I know abunch of guitar ppl dont want to hear about it but thats what I LOVE. The singing,the coreography(dont no how to spell that), everything about it just makes me all happy inside. (if u know what I mean). I know some old songs by big bands but I'm certaintly no expert. One of the songs today that I really feel (yes I know it seems like an....obsession but I'm really moved by this person) is Blind Sight by Ryan Cabrera. Unless ur like a 15 year old girl I bet You havnt heard it. But it talks about life and not living it to its fullest. It's really inspiring to me. Somebody said a song that moves them is Broken by Seether..I definatly agree w/that. Music=Life

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

Hey cabreraluvr7, what's your sig? All I can think of that's happening on Sept. 20th is the release of Coheed's new album, and while that's pretty significant, I don't think it's what you're referring to.

ReplyQuote
(@cabreraluvr7)
Estimable Member

HaHa..Paul donnelly~Sept. 20 is when ryan cabrera (the guy in the sig) is releasing his new album "You Stand Watching".Most of the people on here dont even know who the heck he is. But its all cool.

ReplyQuote
 klim
(@klim)
Reputable Member

Even though I didn't play an instrument until lately, music shaped my life as it is now.

I can remember being seven years old, when my mother bought us a transitor radio. I was so dumbfounded by radio and music, I couldn't figure out how the bands could play their songs at different stations at the same time.

It wasn't until my mother then bought a reel to reel deck for recording that I learned more about the process of recording. So I learned to record music from the radio and TV.

At first, music was just something to listen and sing too. Then I became interested in the lives of the musicians, especially the Beatles. What were their influences, what made them excited, etc...

This curiosity led me down a path, called research. What became before Rock and Roll? It wasn't until ten years later that I discovered the Blues and Jazz. To this day, I thank music for sparking this thing called curiosity in me.

Without a doubt, the following few moments of time are frozen in my head. I remember where I was, who I was talking too and how these moments in rock and roll history changed my life afterwards.

1. My first learning of the breakup of the Beatles, I was ten or eleven years old, when it was happening. I just refused to believe it, I couldn't accept the fact that the greatest band in the world was breaking up. In fact I called my nieghbour a lier, until he showed me the newspaper article.

2. The death of Elvis Presley.

3. The death of John Bohnam.

4. And lastly the death of John Lennon.

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

OH Gee guys.. Now I'm so Inclined to make my own list yet I hesitate to expose my musical taste(s) to the world in that some might Scoff. But what ever... its supposed to be a personal thing anyways right?

Besides this is a worthy enough post for my #100.

Music that has moved me the most I'll just name the Bands and perhaps the albums are in not particular order.

Pink Floyd -Lapse of Reason, Wall, Dark side
Led Zepplin.. anything by them
The Cure- Most all of their music
D-Mode- Alot of their music
The Smiths
Heart
Soft Cell
New Order
Suicidal Tendencies
Older OffSpring
Al Stewart
SuperTramp
Fleetwood Mac
Steely Dan
Doobie Bros
The Who
English Beat

I know there's more, but thats my list off the top of my head

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@gordon)

One song stands way out from all the others to me even though there is a alote of songs that mean something to me.

Led zeppelin - No quarter [ from the song remains the same ]

That was the first led zeppelin song I ever heard and to this day I think it is way better than the rest. It really makes me feel... Ohh I dont know what it makes me feel but it speaks to me more than any other song.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3