Clear all

My First Amp Advice

37 Posts
17 Users
0 Likes
(@triple_c)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I am having trouble deciding on what amp I should get.
I've been playing for nearly a year on a classical guitar and finally,
last month I got a Squier 51. I love it.
At the moment I am playing on my brother's bass amp,
but he is not too happy about it. (typical teenage sibling relationship)
Ok, so what I have narrowed it down to is the Line 6 Spider III 15W,
plenty of effects and quite cheap.
And the Roland Cube 15x, not as many effects (what every teenage
boy likes) but considerably cheaper.
I'm thinking I'd like the Line 6 one more because
it would keep me occupied for longer.

Thanks for any advice :D

Triple_C

(@voidious)
Estimable Member

I just got that Spider as a practice amp, myself. I'm happy with it, but I wasn't really looking for much. I've not really tried cranking the volume or exploring the effects too much, but the distortion and reverb seem decent enough when I do want to use them.

My only annoyance is that as far as I can tell, to get a vanilla "clean" tone (no effects at all) I have to hit the "clean" preset and then move both the effect dials up and down to actually reset them to "off". (Maybe I'm missing something, I've literally had it like 4 days.)

I do wonder if I would've gotten a better clean tone from another similarly priced amp without all the effects; maybe someone else can comment on that.

-- Voidious

ReplyQuote
(@triple_c)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Well that's pretty good if it's your only annoyance.
Tell me, how many inputs are there?

Triple_C

ReplyQuote
(@voidious)
Estimable Member

One input for guitar, another input labeled as being for like a CD player or drum machine to play along with, and one output for headphones.

-- Voidious

ReplyQuote
(@ejwebb)
Trusted Member

You might check into the Vox AD15VT as well - lots of effects and a real tube...

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

I have a Roland Cube 15 and it is a dynamic amp. Excellent effects quality and it is LOUD. It is small, so you might be limited in terms of really cranking it, but it is portable and built like a tank. Highly recommended.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

Let me also point out that effects are a dime-a-dozen. If you have a budget of $300 you could probably get a very nice amplifier with relatively few effects but sounds great, and then spring $50 - 100 for a multi-effects processor. I think you'll get more mileage out of that package than trying to find an amp that does it all.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@triple_c)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

You might check into the Vox AD15VT as well - lots of effects and a real tube...
That looks like a brilliant little box, only £8 more than the line 6. Thanks! :D
Now I think perhaps it is between the vox and the line 6.

Triple_C

ReplyQuote
(@daniel-lioneye)
Reputable Member

Let me also point out that effects are a dime-a-dozen. If you have a budget of $300 you could probably get a very nice amplifier with relatively few effects but sounds great, and then spring $50 - 100 for a multi-effects processor. I think you'll get more mileage out of that package than trying to find an amp that does it all.

I agree with you 100%. Find an amp with a great clean setting, then buy effects.

Guitars: Electric: Jackson DX10D, J. Reynolds Fat Strat copy
Acoustic: New York and a Jasmine.
Amps: Austin 15 watt, Fender Deluxe 112, Fender Champion 600 5w, 0ld 1970's Sears 500g.
Effects: Digitech Whammy, Big Muff Pi USA, MXR, Washburn Distortion.

ReplyQuote
(@triple_c)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I have a Roland Cube 15 and it is a dynamic amp. Excellent effects quality and it is LOUD. It is small, so you might be limited in terms of really cranking it, but it is portable and built like a tank. Highly recommended.

Don't worry I reside in a bedroom about one bed-length long, and slightly less wide.

Now, with that recommendation it's between;
Vox AD15VT, Line 6 Spider 3 15, Roland Cube 15/15X

EDIT: These are all brilliant replies, coming in so quickly, too.
Thanks everyone :D

EDIT (Again): Let me also point out that effects are a dime-a-dozen. If you have a budget of $300 you could probably get a very nice amplifier with relatively few effects but sounds great, and then spring $50 - 100 for a multi-effects processor. I think you'll get more mileage out of that package than trying to find an amp that does it all.
Yeah, but even though it's only 50-100 dollars (which SHOULD be 25-100 pounds), but everything is so cheap in America.

Triple_C

ReplyQuote
 vink
(@vink)
Prominent Member

The Roland cube and the VoX ADVT series are both excellent starter amps .. the 30W versions are heavier and more expensive, but have larger speakers and are probably good enough for small gigs. I think you will be happy with either one.

--vink
"Life is either an adventure or nothing" -- Helen Keller

ReplyQuote
(@triple_c)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

After looking around, the Vox seems the best.

But I believe you have to really look after tube-amps.

So can someone give me a brief summary of tube-amps.
(I've wiki'd it, but not giving much info)

Triple_C

ReplyQuote
(@kevinbatchelor77)
Trusted Member

Fender makes some nice reasonably priced tube amps that you may want to look at.

Blues JR.
Hot Rod Deluxe

Peavey also has a few that aren't priced bad.
Classic 30
Delta Blues

I have played through these and they sound great. I like the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe best.

Just a thought you might want to take a look at them.

ReplyQuote
(@triple_c)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I dunno about getting a valve amp.
They're pretty hight maintenance I think.
(I'm just a very lazy person)

I just have few questions:
Do I have to replace tubes each year, if so is this difficult or expensive?
How long do they take to warm up? (I may be imagining this but I think
I heard they need to warm up)

Triple_C

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

The thing about tube amps is that they are generally quite loud, especially if you use them the way alot of players do and that is using them at low volumes for clean sounds and crank it for overdrive. As well they generally cost more (but not always, the Epiphone Valve Junior, which I can't wait to play when I get it, is fairly cheap) and more maintenance. I don't know if I would recommend it to an electric guitar player who is just starting.

On the other hand a modeling amplifier has more flexibility (and the Vox amp has a tube-like sound, apparently) and for a new player it allows you to try out alot of effects and amp types. Anyways, it's your choice: If you go out and try modeling amps and hate them all but absolutely love a tube amp you try then logically the tube amp would be the way to go.

As for tubes, it is usaully a preference: some people change them annually but I've heard that if you take care of the amp (warm the amp up correctly, don't crank it ALL the time, etc.) then they can last for a long time. I don't know about replacing the tubes because i don't own one yet but I doubt it's hard. As for warming up the amp, i believe it's just a couple minutes.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3