Notifications
Clear all

My first

15 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@twin-city-aggie)
Topic starter  

Another newbie thread here... I too am looking to purchase my first acoustic guitar to learn the craft. What should a novice look for in a quality guitar? Funds will be an issue so I will be starting small and growing as the funds grow. :?

Twin City Aggie newbie

(@ginger)
Reputable Member

well, I would say go and play the guitars that are in your price range and oick the one that grabs you. I bought an Indiana guitar which only cost me about 60 bucks and it had a great sound. I also traded in a guitar sso I can't remember the actual price but i think around a 100. You could also look at a Jasmine takimine which is around a 100 also. a good guitar for practice. I also own one of them. but again, I would say go to your guitar store and play with the ones that are in your price range and then pick the one that feels the best to you. Most guitar stores offer lay away plans as well so you might can reach slightly out of your budget if your willing to wait and work a couple of months for it.

good luck :)

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

I would suggest the Art & Lutherie Wild Cherry. Canadian made, so you can be sure about the quality. It has a nice finish, which is important in a guitar. Many entry level guitars have thick coats of finish, they look very plastic like, and shiny. That takes away from the sound quite a bit, and is something to stay away from. The A&L is solid, sounds good, feels good, looks good, and a good price to boot. It's worth looking at.

http://www.artandlutherieguitars.com/wildcherry.htm

Paul

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@ginger)
Reputable Member

Those are some nice looking acoustics. I wish I had me one. what are the price ranges on those Off He Goes? I'm gonna see if I can go find one and play it just get an ideal. I do agree about the tone. But i think that a person should go play a guitar before buying it to get the tone the want and like. I once made a mistake by buying a guitar on-line just cause it looked good to me. I ended up trading it and regreted buying it. Now I'm not bashing your guitar selection. I'm sure it is a really fine one and I'm gonna go see if I can find one to play and who knows...I just might end up buying me one, lol

Twin City Aggie, It may helps us if you give us a ballpark ideal of what your looking to spend and maybe even the style of music you play. Then we can maybe offer you some suggestions of guitars for you to go and try out in those ranges. I'm sure Off He Goes is recommending an excellant guitar cause he has always had really good suggestions here as well as ideals, posts etc. So if that guitar is in your price range you will want to go check it out. I'm going too. just cause I'm crazy about guitars and I'm always getting new ones from time to time. good luck.
:D

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

Ginger, I think they got for like $200 USD maybe. I believe I payed around $350 or so Canadian for mine 4 years ago.

I do agree with what you said though, Twin City Aggie should definitely try out the guitars first before buying them. Maybe bring a friend who plays, or ask the sales person at the store to play them also.

Paul

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Check this article:

The Rites of Spring (Choosing A New Guitar).

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@twin-city-aggie)
Topic starter  

Thanks family :) . My price range for now is +/-$200-250. You guys are really great. I don't necessarily have a style, however a couple artist I enjoy listening to are Corinne Bailey Rae (Brittish) and India Irie.

Twin City Aggie newbie

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

See my post below called Cheap Acoustic. Other than that, Art and Lutherie has a reputation for pretty good guitars, not too expensive so that may be a good idea.

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

The A&L is solid, sounds good, feels good, looks good, and a good price to boot. It's worth looking at.

Paul, are you sure that A&L are solids? I think this is the difference between the A&L and Seagull brands (both Godin). Not all A&L guitars are solid, I guess the more expensives, probably the "Cedar & Spruce" model.

http://www.artandlutherieguitars.com/details.htm

Nevertheless, A&L are GREAT guitars! :D

ReplyQuote
(@redpoint)
Reputable Member

Take a look at Walden Guitars, either the D550 or the G570. They're solid topped guitars that are very nice. Gryphon Stringed Instruments stocks them, so they can't be that bad! I had a chance to play some the other day and they're really nice guitars.

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

The A&L is solid, sounds good, feels good, looks good, and a good price to boot. It's worth looking at.

Paul, are you sure that A&L are solids? I think this is the difference between the A&L and Seagull brands (both Godin). Not all A&L guitars are solid, I guess the more expensives, probably the "Cedar & Spruce" model.

http://www.artandlutherieguitars.com/details.htm

Nevertheless, A&L are GREAT guitars! :D

Yeah, I should have phrased that differently. I meant solid as in good consturction. Not solid top. All parts of the guitar are sturdy, and if feels like a well built guitar.

You're right though, they do have some solid tops, but not the Wild Cherry.

Paul

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

Take a look at Walden Guitars, either the D550 or the G570. They're solid topped guitars that are very nice. Gryphon Stringed Instruments stocks them, so they can't be that bad! I had a chance to play some the other day and they're really nice guitars.

I'll second that. Walden make some nice guitars. I can't remember the models I've played, but they were around $350-450 CAN, so they are probably in your price range. Great guitars, you should try and check them out too.

Paul

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Yeah, I should have phrased that differently. I meant solid as in good consturction. Not solid top. All parts of the guitar are sturdy, and if feels like a well built guitar.
Paul

Ah! Ok! :) Probably I associated the word or concept "solid" to the guitar top :)

I agree, they are very solid. When I was looking for a guitar I was playing several acoustics and electrics. I can remember the A&L neck perfectly, I like very much! It's a great guitar. The salesman also showed me a Seagull and they are different but, probably, the A&L was the second best guitar that day.

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

http://www.umgf.com/

I've poted a link to the Unofficial Martin Guitar Forums where someone has a Walden guitar for sale. I know nothing about this guitar or Walden guitars or the seller. I saw this and thought you may be interested. Scroll down and go to the Buy and sell section.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Thanks family :) . My price range for now is +/-$200-250. You guys are really great. I don't necessarily have a style, however a couple artist I enjoy listening to are Corinne Bailey Rae (Brittish) and India Irie.

Just remember to budget for all the other stuff you'll want. Straps, picks, instructional materials, the India Arie songbook etc.

Best advice just hold the different makes in your price range. One will look and feel right to you. Don't get caught up in the brand name game because in the end the brandat that price range will not impress anyone

ReplyQuote