Clear all

My very first guitar -- need some help

22 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@mark07)
Topic starter  

Hello everyone.

I am currently in the market to purchase my very first guitar (electric). I am looking at the Fender Standard Stratocasters but am having trouble understanding the differences between the two entry level ones.

Fender Standard Stratocaster Electric Guitar
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-Standard-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar-105156996-i1431991.gc

Fender Standard Stratocaster HSS Electric Guitar
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-Standard-Stratocaster-HSS-Electric-Guitar-105156673-i1431994.gc

The sound I am looking for is along the lines of the following - something rock, bluesy, and soulful sounding:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSptDPKeuCI&feature=channel_page

Are either of those entry level Fenders able to produce a similar sound & tone to what Andy Timmons is playing in the video?

Thanks so much in advance for any help & insight.

(@bloos66)
Reputable Member

Hi Mark07,

welcome to GN, and great to hear you've decided to start playing the guitar. I'm a beginner myself, struggling to get to terms with all the technology etc, and given that most of the US is asleep right now, I'll offer my humble opinions.

Firstly, trying to emulate a certain sound is frought with danger. If I look at the video, Andy Timmons doesn't play a 'standard' strat, it's not even a Fender according to the headstock. He plays with the neck pickup (could be a Seymour Duncan HotRails), the the bridge pickup is a humbucker. The sound suggests he's using a very good tube amp with a bit of reverb, and most likely a pedal as well.

So, whatever guitar you buy, it's unlikely you'll sound like this, certainly not initially. Apart from the guitar, you'll need the 'right' pedals and amplifier.

As for your guitars, they are fine guitars for a beginner. Both made in Mexico and not quite the same standard as the American models, but I suggest that they will be decent instruments for learning. The main difference between the standard and HSS models is that the HSS has a humbucker pickup in the neck position. Humbuckers give you a bigger sound, fuller and more powerful, and great for distortion -this is a very simple and basic explanation :-) Buying the HSS model will give you more tonal flexibility, different sounds to play around and experiment with. Otherwise they are the same.

Have a look at the Harmony Central reviews for the Standard Strat - http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar/product/Fender/Standard+Stratocaster/10/1 and then for the HSS - http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar/product/Fender/Standard+Strat+HSS/10/1

Don't always believe what you read....

ReplyQuote
(@mark07)
Topic starter  

Thank you very much for your help. I would be able to get the HSS strat for $385 from Guitar Center -- would you happen to know if this is a decent price? They have it listed for $549.99 but I had it price matched from Sweetwater. I haven't been looking around in actual retail stores so I am not sure on prices besides from what is online.

I was actually reading a review on that Harmony Central link that you posted and a guy supposedly got the HSS guitar for $323. Do you think it might be possible to get that price anywhere? I don't feel confident to haggle with sales reps since my knowledge is extremely limited.

Thanks again.

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Welcome to GN Mark!

The reviews and YouTube videos are good but usually all of us love our guitars so probably you will see lots of 10's on the reviews. The audio on the videos is not the best and your own speakers, sound card, etc. are also contributing to the final sound. Also, the amp, effects, strings, picks are important but the most important part is always the fingers.

Once you have selected some guitars, try to go to a store and play them. Play the guitars that you have selected and also the others. Perhaps you will find them some easier than others, or you will prefer a tone. Play them. And feel them, too.

Good luck and happy shopping! It is always fun!

ReplyQuote
(@bloos66)
Reputable Member

I would be able to get the HSS strat for $385 from Guitar Center -- would you happen to know if this is a decent price?

Hi Mark,
I live in Australia and not in a position to comment on the US prices. I do know though that Fender have just recently significantly increased their prices - even here in Oz - so take this into consideration.

Seeing that you're after a Strat - excellent choice BTW - here are 3 forums that you may want to have a look at for some more and specific info.

http://www.fender.com/community/forums/viewforum.php?f=6
http://www.strat-talk.com/forum/stratocaster-discussion-forum/
http://www.tdpri.com/forum/stratocaster-discussion-forum/

I'd say that all/most of your Strat-specific questions would have already been asked and answered, and if not, you're bound to get some high quality information.

BTW - what amplifier are you going to play your HSS through?

ReplyQuote
(@mark07)
Topic starter  

First off I just want to thank you guys for the welcomes as well the helpful information.

Bloos, That was probably going to be my next question (about the amp). I didn't want to spend much since I've never played and I don't really need an amp that is going to blow the windows out either. I was reading up on the Line 6 Spider III 15W. I saw it at a couple places online for $99.99. That is probably my price limit right now for amps. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

I was reading up on the Line 6 Spider III 15W. I saw it at a couple places online for $99.99. That is probably my price limit right now for amps. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You cannot go wrong with Line 6 equipment.

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@mark07)
Topic starter  

Now I have been reading that line 6 spider amps give off more of a metal sound which isn't what I am looking for. Is this true?

ReplyQuote
(@bloos66)
Reputable Member

Hi Mark,

I have no experience with Line6 amps, and reading through the website, I looks like you are right. The Spider III is advertised as a high-gain amp which means lots of distortion, and the 4 amp settings/models are Clean, Crunch, Metal and Insane. If you like blues, soul etc, then perhaps this isn't the right amp for you. If you were able to spend a bit more money, the Spider Jam is a lot more flexible and has Twang and Blues sounds as well.

I have a Roland Cube 30X which is a great practice amp. It also has a couple of amp models, and some are fairly good emulations of Fender and Vox sounds, I can get some nice blues tones out of it. Nothing like a Tweed tube amp of course, but close enough, especially considering the cost. The Cube also comes in smaller version, and the 30X, if you have the money, is a really good amp. Easy to carry around as well, and loud enough for home and jamming with friends.

Peavey amps are fairly well regarded as well. The Vypyr series has 15W and 30W models, both with 24 amp models, clean and crunch channels, lots of built-in effects.

The good thing about these practice amps is that they also have (generally) a headphone output and an Aux/Mp3 input, which is great for practicing/learning and playing when your family or neighbours are nearby.

ReplyQuote
(@maisie)
Eminent Member

Hey Mark,
To be perfectly honest, I saw the stratcaster in the shop yesterday when I went to get my acoustic and the man said it was around £150 which, if your american it would double the price range round about.

ReplyQuote
(@mark07)
Topic starter  

I went ahead and purchased the Candy Apple HSS strat along with the Peavey Vypyr 15 amp (searched youtube for a comparison between this & the line 6 & liked the sound on the peavey a lot better) & a bunch of other accessories/necessities. I am really excited to play. Thanks guys for the help

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Congratulations Mark!

Send us some pictures if possible (it is usual at Guitar Noise).

Enjoy!

ReplyQuote
(@bloos66)
Reputable Member

Hi Mark, that's great, well done - enjoy your new gear and let us know how it's going :-)

ReplyQuote
(@akflyingv)
Honorable Member

Congrats on the guitar!

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

For me, not that good of a guitarist, I most certain don't like using an amp as then everyone gets to hear how crappy I am. I opted to go the PC route and bought a Vamp2 amp modeller that interfaces into my computer via the sound card.

I'm a happy camper with many amp sounds and the ability to play with just headphones on leaves out any intimidation factor from any unwanted ears!

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2