Clear all

Need help quickly

14 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@iwillbefamouswatchme)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I'm buying my first electric guitar tomorrow and I'm having trouble deciding between the new american standard stratocaster o the classic sg with p-90 pickups. I love the feel of the strat and the clean sounds but from what I have read it can't handle distortion to save it's life, which is important to me. I love bands like 3 days grace, tool, trapt, foo fighters, as well as classic rock so distortions very important to me. can i fix the fender distortion problem with a good distortion pedal or will I be better of with the gibson? thanks a ton to anyone who helps, sorry i seem a little paranoid but when you spend around a grand getting a nice guitar, you want the right one for you.

(@clau20)
Reputable Member

I can't tell you which one to choose, but I can tell you to take your time with such a big purchase.

Why do you want to buy it tommorow?

You can try both, wait and think about it again... Try again, and then decide. :wink:

" First time I heard the music
I thought it was my own
I could feel it in my heartbeat
I could feel it in my bones
... Blame it on the love of Rock'n'Roll! "

ReplyQuote
(@iwillbefamouswatchme)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

haha not exactly. I've tried each around 10 times and like em both. Only reason i halvn't bought one yet is my worry about distortion. so around 2 weeks ago i told my self on the 11th i'd make up my mind and go for it. I now there both great so i was hoping someone could help me with the fender distortion problem.

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Go with an Ibanez. Middle of both worlds.

Oh my, it just so happens I have one for sale in the swap meet.

Perfect!!!

I can overnight it to you if needed.

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Sounds as if you are a candidate for a Fat Strat ('bucker in bridge position). Unfortunately, I don't see that available in the American Standard. In any case, Strats are very versatile. If you want to crank up for more dirt and distortion, I suggest you look to supplement a "regular" single coil Strat with a distortion/overdrive EFX unit.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

as an owner of a US Std Strat and knowing a whole bunch of ppl who own various fender strats, I've never found the ditortion problem you cite as being a problem. if you want a good distortion pedal to go with it, there's a recent thread on here where ppl have suggested vaarious boxes. also, if you're into classic rock, then hendrix, pete townsend, dave gilmour, the guitarists in black sabbath and deep purple (yup, I know, my bad for not recalling their names, lol), jeff beck, eric clapton and a whole bunch of other people have created such music with a strat.

but,as noted above, don't buy either one until you're personally sure its the right guitar for you. i don't own a P90 equipped guitar, so can't really comment on those from a working-tool point of view. but I waited around 6-8 months before buying my strat, until I was sure that not only did I want a strat, but I wanted that particular one. I haunted music shops for the best part of a year before I chose, though.

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@iwillbefamouswatchme)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

no the classic rocks not my problem its that kinda heavy hard rock style that i love so much. I've done all my research, been to over 20 music stores, and researched for months and its down to the strat or the sg. just becuase of the lack of a humbucker im no sure it can get that dark epic tone, but i really hope so becuase i love strats. even with a humbucker there built at differn't scales to i just don't know. very lost.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

I really doubt the scale length is a problem. In any case, there is so much reworking of tone that can be done with EQ and other EFX, I doubt you will have difficulty crafting such with a Strat. Buy a guitar you really enjoy playing. You will learn to make it work.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@iwillbefamouswatchme)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

thanks man thats exactly what i needed to hear. I'm going with the candy cola strat. I'm siked now haha.

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

thanks man thats exactly what i needed to hear. I'm going with the candy cola strat. I'm siked now haha.

What is a candy cola strat ?

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Although persoanlly I'd favor the SG ...... you can buy a single coil sized humbucker for your Strat if distortion is an issue. Thats what I did for my MIM Strat and it sounds awsome. I bought the Seymour Duncan Strat Hot Rail but Dimarzio makes one as well.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
 lars
(@lars)
Noble Member

My 2 cents?
I really do have problems imaginening that the guitar is really the limiting factor until you've reached a level far beyond where my 20 years of playing has brought me - of course you'll want a guitar you enjoy playing and all that - but sound-wise - nah - but then again I'm not going to be famous either ;-)

lars

Edit - +1 for fat strat - very versatile

...only thing I know how to do is to keep on keepin' on...

LARS kolberg http://www.facebook.com/sangerersomfolk

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

not sure what his setup required, but i believe Clapton used a Strat at the Cream reunion concert and had no distortion problems.
i think your concerns about this are somewhat unfounded, however an SG with P-90s will give plenty of distortion if coaxed properly.
i agree with the others, try them with different setups, pedals, etc to find what you want. this is an important purchase, a store that won't bend over backwards to explore your tonal search doesn't want your business IMO.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
 Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member

I've got a cheap stratocopy with three singles- distorts plenty. And I mean PLENTY. Isn't Malmsteen a single coil strat guy?

You may not get the really rich thick sounds from the strat that you would from the SG, but then again, you may. My experience is that for most people, distortion turns out to be a matter of amp and effects as much as the guitar itself. (I don't suppose this is always the case, but it take better equipment than I can afford and better skills than I have for it to be otherwise.) If you want seriously dirty sound, buy a pedal. Get the guitar that you love having in your hands...

Best,
Ande

ReplyQuote