Clear all

Neil Young on Conan O'Brien

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@slydog)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Anybody see Neil Young on the Conan O'Brien show this week? (sorry to all those who might not have access to the show overseas). Apparently he's been on every night this week, but last night (Thursday) was the first one I saw. He did a song with Emmylou Harris from his new album called "This Old Guitar" (playing a 1940's Martin once owned by Hank Williams), then played "The Needle and the Damage Done", which was great as usual.

In between he sat down with Conan, who apparently keeps a bunch of guitars in his dressing room. Conan was complaining that they were all out of tune and Neil said he had tuned them to "D modal". When Conan said they were unplayable, Neil replied, "Yeah, but it makes Cinnamon Girl real easy to play."

During "Damage" he wore a T-shirt that read "Just because you know a bunch of chords and can play fast, that doesn't make you an expert." That made me feel better because neither applies to me.

Anyway, I'd be curious to hear what else he played from anyone who might have seen him earlier in the week.

Blame it on the lies that killed us, blame it on the truth that ran us down.

(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I missed the shows, wished I would have known but then I am one of those who doesn't watch that much of the tube anyway but I would have obviously made and exception. while I just wrote that comment I thought, wouldn't it be something if they did a reality show on Neil and some of the other greats? I'd watch those :lol: I think I'll borrow what he had on his T-shirt, thanks, later... :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Wished I had seen those shows, I am a big Neil Young fan.

I like Neil's attitude too. He plays guitar for the joy of music, not to impress people with his skills. Neil is actually a much better musician than he will admit.

I read an interview once. Neil said he doesn't even know any scales. He said the real notes he is after don't exist anyway.

Gotta love Neil. Go Mr. Soul. 8)

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@purple)
Reputable Member

I think I am stupid - what is D modal? I know what modes are and I know what the key of D is but... did I miss the joke?

It's not easy being green.... good thing I'm purple.

ReplyQuote
(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member

THis is D modal tuning:

D A D DA D

Immature? Of course I'm immature Einstein, I'm 50 and in a Rock and ROll band.

New Band site http://www.myspace.com/guidedbymonkeys

ReplyQuote
(@slydog)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

"THis is D modal tuning:

D A D DA D"

I'm trying to figure out what tuning he was using or key he was playing The Needle And the Damage Done in, because the bass line during the intro was played on the low E string instead of the A string as David taught and so many tabs show. The show did a very good job of showing his fretting and strumming during much of the song. That seems all too rare when musicians are playing on TV.

By the way, Jonathon Demme has apparently made a live concert film entitled Heart of Gold that was filmed at the Ryman Theater in Nashville. Neil said it should be out in February. Conan joked, "Good, so you'll come back for a month then, won't you." Neil laughed and jokingly said, "Oh, yeah," then pretended to lift a bottle to his mouth. If that's what it takes, I suggest we ship him a case of whatever he wants. 8)

Blame it on the lies that killed us, blame it on the truth that ran us down.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

One of the best shows I ever saw was him and Booker T & the MG's. It was about a 2 1/2 hour jam.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote