Clear all

New Strings on my Acoustic

9 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@guitarhack)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Hi, all. Last week I changed the strings for the first time on my Garrison acoustic. It came with D'Addario EXP 16's, so those are what I went with. I've had it for about a year, and I'm sure it was sitting at the guitar store for at least that long with the original strings on it. I absolutely loved the tone I was getting from it...until I put the new strings on it!! Does anyone else here dislike the sound of new strings on an acoustic guitar?! I've changed strings plenty of times on my electrics and always loved that new string sound, but this is the first time I've ever changed them on acoustic. For the past week I've been playing it every chance I get, rubbing my dirty hands across the strings, doing anything I can think of to get rid of that nasally sound as quickly as possible. Its finally a little better, but still...
Am I alone here? I always thought "strings are strings," but if anyone here has suggestions for new strings that DON'T sound like that, I'm all ears. Thanks. Dan.

Dan

(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I like the sound of slightly new strings on my acoustic. I play them hard for a week before I like the sound again.
too new too bright.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I'm never one to jump into a string change, but I wait the longest with my accoustic. Probably once a year.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

I'm with you, new strings just sound too brite. I've been using GHS Vintage Bronze acoustic strings for about 6 months, and they sound good to me. There's a scale on the back which reads "bright" on one side & "mellow" on the other, and these strings are rated more towards the mellow side of the scale. They last along time too. Pick up a pack & see if you like 'em. :D

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

but if anyone here has suggestions for new strings that DON'T sound like that, I'm all ears. Thanks. Dan.

Try DR Sunbeams. Very warm. I've been using Elixir Nanoweb Phosphor Bronze just because they last forever, but I may go back to these because they sound so good. Click for a review.

Also Elixir Polywebs but the slick feel isn't for everyone.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I like the bright sound of new strings, but don't change 'em till they're about half rusted off.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@guitarhack)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the feedback and string suggestions. Though my new strings have finally mellowed out a little, I'm going to keep your ideas in mind for future string changes.

Dan

ReplyQuote
(@oenyaw)
Reputable Member

If I feel I should get a new guitar, I just replace the strings. Saves me alot of money.

Brain-cleansing music for brain-numbing times in a brain dead world
http://www.oenyaw.com

ReplyQuote
(@country)

I use Dean Markley Alchemy strings, they fit the type of playing I do the most and sound perfect (IMO) for country.
I agree with you guys about new strings, I have to break them in before I like them. I also change mine once a year or as often as I break one.

ReplyQuote