Clear all

New to forums/New to Guitars-Seeking Advice

23 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@pillowpantss)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the input again, ye so excited just gotta wait for them to get a restock on the guitar.

ReplyQuote
(@pillowpantss)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Okay guys got my final selection and it will be, these 2:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Acoustic-Player-Pack-with-Gig-Bag?sku=512453

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Les-Paul100-HiPerformance-Pack-with-Valve-Junior-Amp?sku=514492

I have decided to stick with starter packs due to me being a beginer and will upgrade later. I also have gotten a little extra cash together and decided to get an acoustic with my electric guitar. I just have one question. When I order these should i get extra picks? If so which kind of picks for each should I use? Another concern is maybe also getting strings for both as well, maybe more so because the strings that come on it are not as good as strings I could get, which I am def 100% willing to throw down on better strings even on the start. That about wraps it up on what Im getting, also gunna check out a metallica book and a guitar stand for the acoustic. So with that said is there any more suggestions on what to get, or do. Thanks again-You guys have been very helpful and glad I found these forums =D-PIllow aka Jeff

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

Excellent Choices both of them.

Strings, yes get some strings. For me, I don't change the strings that often on my electrics as I do on my acoustics.
As far as what to get, Electric...try some D'Addaraio .10's, or Ernie Balls .10's and get a set or two. Acoustics I always string up 'lights', not xtra lights but 'lights'.... I also generally use D'Add too, but I like to buy 10 packs when I can.

One thing I would suggest, when your guitars arrive, take them in to a local store/shop and have a 'set-up' done on each of them. It should only cost $20-40 each but it is well worth it, heck its almost necessary to have this done, especially with a budget guitar. That's the only problem ordering online, you can't negotiate with the shop for a free or discounted set-up.

When you first get your guitars, tune them up. Then strum on them, softly then harder..after a few minutes, check the tuning. If its out of tune (they'll probably go 'flat'), you know the factory didn't 'stretch' the strings much, (almost a required step when changing strings) most factories don't. What I do is: Lay the guitar flat, either on my lap or a in their case, whatever, then on each string, fret the first fret with my left hand, then with my right I'll pinch the string at the 12th fret and give it a little tug, "OUT" away from the fret board....be careful with the high e, (the little string), don't tug too hard. Repeat a few times, then tune, it should stay in tune.

I had to do this with both of 'online' purchased guitars... my Epi Masterbuilt acoustic and my Squier'51....and yes new strings need a little 'stretching' to stay in tune.

Also, when you get playing and switching between both guitars, you may feel that your acoustic is more 'stiff' to play....and that is because, well it is. It'll seem 'harder' to play at first -vs- your electric. I remember when I was relatively new, I didn't play on my acoustic for months because of that very reason.

Reason is, electrics usually have a smaller scale length and because of the nature of the beast, the string tension is much less than on an acoustic. You'll see that its easier to bend the strings on an electric -vs- an acoustic. My point is, don't neglect one for the other. Try and practice with them both equally.

Dude, I'm stoked for you, you have two great "GITS" picked out there. That LP/VJ package is awesome. I might just get one if I can find an LP in Blue or White, then slap some soapbars in her and go! When you get yours, don't be afraid to twist those knobs and find the setting(s) you like. Be on the look out for stomp-box too...even if its a Danelectro Daddy-O kind. You'll be in distorted heaven :)

G-luck and show us some pics when they come in eh?
Cheers,
Darren

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@pillowpantss)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Will do, and what did you mean by set-up?

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

A Setup.

Means having the hight of the strings or 'action' adjusted to taste. They'll adjust the bridge and/or neck to get it just right.
Balancing the pickups. Make sure all the knobs/switches work...etc. A good tech will look at fret level, fret crown and polish, any sharp fret ends. Usually they'll change the strings and condition the fret board it depends...

Do a search and you'll see.

Most low-end guitars will need a proper set up. Its vital for good playability but if you don't know what your doing you need to take it to a tech.

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

I wouldn't try restringing the guitars until I've fiddled about and learned a thing or two, or got some satisfaction out of playing them. I recently had to relearn how to string classical guitars, and recalled how much of a pain learning to string a guitar properly can be. the frustration really isn't worth it, IMO. just use the shop strings and restring them once they feel a little worn or they snap.

as for picks, get about 10-20 depending on your budget, all different thicknesses (or a couple of each thickness). ask 10 guitarists to name the best strings/picks/etc and you'll get 20 different responses. at the end of the day, the best ones are whatever work for you. and with picks, that can change like the weather. so get a bunch of different sized ones, and as you play more and more you'll start to settle on your ideal pick-type.

hth

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@mahal)
Estimable Member

:D
The starter packs should have a selection of picks to get you started. Have you played an instrument before? How is your ear. A tuner may be the place for the extra cash.

ReplyQuote
(@pillowpantss)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

DOH! Looks like every store is discounting the les paul packages.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Les-Paul100-HiPerformance-Pack-with-Valve-Junior-Amp?sku=514492

Very disapointed, was really looking forward to enjoying a les paul! Guess im going with this one now.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-SG310-HiPerformance-Electric-Guitar-Pack-with-Valve-Junior-Amp?sku=514491

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2