Notifications
Clear all

New Tool CD

80 Posts
23 Users
0 Likes
(@duffmaster)
Noble Member

On U2, did you read the guitar world in which they interviewed edge?

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
It's almost always lyrics...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...
Lets just save YOU from the pain, ok?

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

yes...i own pretty much every magazine from the pasy few years with U2 related covers...nice interview...Edge mentions pushing the envelope with the Popmart tour and their "concept tours." I think that goes with what wes was saying...they had a succesful tour and followed it with a tour and albums of a similar idea. and people got sick of it.

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
(@duffmaster)
Noble Member

I enjoyed the interview as well. I havn't really payed much attention to U2, for reasons I don't really know. But that interview inspired me to go and watch some of thier videos on yahoo launch.

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
It's almost always lyrics...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...
Lets just save YOU from the pain, ok?

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Yeah, I just can't listen to the same sound all the time. Maybe I am spoiled. My favorite band when I was a teen was the Beatles. The Beatles played everything. Of course they always sounded like the Beatles, it was always fun picking out who sang the song. But the style of music was different from song to song. They could play a pretty song like She's Leaving Home, then crank out Helter Skelter. You never knew what you were going to hear next.

I can tell you exactly what I am going to hear on EVERY Tool song. And you know it's true.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@fleaaaaaa)
Prominent Member

Okay but thats my point, unless you're just going to listen to one band (The Beatles) then most bands out there do stick to a similar sound throughout their career. I'd argue that queen did, the Rolling Stones had two sounds, Pink Floyd had a certain sound and similar themes on maybe albums.

together we stand, divided we fall..........

ReplyQuote
(@scrogdog)
Estimable Member

I heartily disagree!

You think Fat Bottomed Girls sounds similar to Killer Queen? :)

Bands have signature sounds. You always know Brian May when you hear him. You always know Rush when you hear them. You always know Ozzy when he sings. That does NOT mean that all of thier songs sound the same.

Your point is even less valid, in my humble opinion, with regards to Pink Floyd. Floyd evolved throughout their career. Listen to Relics. Then try Meddle. Then listen to The Wall. You think all of that sounds alike?

What Wes is saying, and I am afraid I am going to have to agree, is that Tool DOES sound more or less the same all of the time. It is not just a style thing, their actual songwriting is always the same.

Before you jump down my throat, I liked Tool when they first came out. I agree they are talented. And you know, I went to see them in concert with my brother and left there thinking that I had not been assualted with such an onslaught of music in a long time. That said, they need to change it up now and then. :) I find the new album to be agonizing.

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Have to agree with Scrog here. I like Toll although I prefered A perfect Circle, but their music is a bit boring is that each song is written and performed in the same style...it's more than having a distinctive sound.

After you've listened to a band for awhile you can always in an instant pick them out when you here a song of there's, but what Tool's got going on is more than that, it's their song structure or something but it's more than a distinctive sound.

Obviously you can pick a Tool song in a second once you here it then you realize it sounds exactly like the oterh 20 you know.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Yes, that is what I don't like about Tool (and Staind). If you were to take a short clip out of most of their songs and play it, I think most would have great difficulty identifying the song, because they all sound almost exactly alike.

Every band has their own sound, this goes far beyond that. Tool plays the same exact riffs over and over and over.

And over.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

Nickelback is EXTREMELY guilty of this.

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

There was two songs I remember that if you played them together that they would match up perfectly in chord progressions and and rhythms and everything.

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@ginger)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Well. I am a fairly big Alice In Chains fan. And when Layne Staley recorded with Mad Season, (Members from Screaming trees and Pearl Jam) And when I furst heard "I Don't Know Anything" on the radio. I thought it was a new release of AIC. (radio stations are getting famous for not anouncing the music they play). Because of the vocals, I thought it was AIC at first. I thought that maybe they had experience yet another new sound, like they had done with Jar Of Flies.

ReplyQuote
(@biker_jim_uk)
Honorable Member

There was two songs I remember that if you played them together that they would match up perfectly in chord progressions and and rhythms and everything.
This one?
http://www.riserock.com/xmas/nickelbacksucks.mp3

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

SRV did it with Pride and Joy and Cold Shot.

Not a big deal as long as you don't over do it.

Wes,

You said you liked the Beatles for there diversity. Not everyone is like that, just look at what happened to Metallica.

I do see your point but, when you go too far outside it's either “love it or leave it” and I don't think most bands want to risk being the later.

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

This one?
http://www.riserock.com/xmas/nickelbacksucks.mp3

Yeah

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@fleaaaaaa)
Prominent Member

SRV did it with Pride and Joy and Cold Shot.

Not a big deal as long as you don't over do it.

Wes,

You said you liked the Beatles for there diversity. Not everyone is like that, just look at what happened to Metallica.

I do see your point but, when you go too far outside it's either “love it or leave it” and I don't think most bands want to risk being the later.

Yes, exactly take Metallicas first couple of albums, the band changed from kill em all to Ride the lightning but then no significant change happened until at least the Black self titled disc. Maybe the queen thing was a bad example, but I think a lot of Metal bands tend to be limited in what they can do. Unfortunately Tool are no exception to the rule but they are a damn good band which is why I listen to them. What about Chuck Berry? You can't deny that he repeated licks, riffs, ideas just look at No Particular Place and School Day does that make him a poor artist?

together we stand, divided we fall..........

ReplyQuote
Page 4 / 6