0 Likes
(@dagwood)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Thought this sight was interesting:

http://www.digitaldreamdoor.com/pages/music0_name.html

Here are a few of them:
AC/DC
A band member saw AC/DC on a sewing machine and figured it has something to do with power. He was right, it means 'Alternating Current / Direct Current'. The band didn't realise it was also slang for bi-sexual, which caused a few awkward moments in their early days. A silly rumour claims the acronym 'Anti-Christ Devil's Children'.

AEROSMITH
It was evidently a word Joey Kramer wrote all over his notebooks in high school. Some think they were inspired by the 1925 book 'Arrowsmith' by Sinclair Lewis.

METALLICA
Lars Ulrich was helping a friend think of a name for a metal fanzine. The magazine went with 'Metal Mania' and Lars kept Metallica, which was one of the suggestions.

MOODY BLUES
They were originally M&B 5 because they wanted to perform in a Birmingham brewery called 'Mitchell's Bottlery.' The building had a big 'MB'. It didn't work so they changed names. Duke Ellington's 'Mood Indigo' was one member's favourite song.

THREE DOG NIGHT
Inspired by an Australian Aborigine custom of sleeping with three dogs on extremely cold nights.

TROGGS
From the term 'troglodyte'.

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)