original vs remake or copy

7 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@coleclark)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

this is a philisophical thought....

i just finished reading a review on an ibanez model i have myself...and there was a comment that read 'yet another guitar that ibanez copied' ... now ... admittedly this is true...although ibanez do have there own styles to.

i bought an ibaniez ARC because i wanted a les paul and the ibanez outplayed all the les pauls i tried (in sound AND cost)

so........what experiences have people had with ibanez?

Are you 'old school' in that you would buy the original make and model of a guitar rather than a 'copy' despite quality differences?

warning: this is not to become a slag fest of guitar brands...play nice children :roll:

(@bgdaddy316)
Reputable Member

I have a Brownsville LP copy that I love. I've upgraded the pickups, but aside from that, I am very happy with it. I am, from time to time, wishing it was an Epi or Gibson, but I do like the guitar as it is.

Of course, if I had no budget limitations, I would only buy the real deal.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Back in 2005, I really, really, REALLY wanted a Telecaster - I'd just been to watch Status Quo for the umpteenth time. So armed with a pocketful of money, I went out to buy a Tele. And came home with a Squier Custom Tele. At the time, it just felt better in my hands than the other guitars I tried that day.

Since then, I've got a Fender (MIM) Tele, which is superior in a lot of ways to the Squier - which is now set up for slide and kept in open G tuning. But that Squier was my #1 go-to guitar for a couple of years.....

I like to think I'm a better guitarist now than I was back then, and I can handle a better guitar - but I think it's true to say, you don't pick the guitar, the guitar picks YOU. Maybe back then I wasn't ready for a real Tele - but the Squier was a bloody good substitute for a couple of years, and will always have a home with me.

At the end of the day, what feels good in your hands is more important than what's written on the headstock. You're going to learn more - and play more! - with a £200 guitar that feels good in YOUR hands than a £2000 guitar that doesn't feel as comfortable to you.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

I've got an Ibby RG550, AF75 and P160. They offer good value for money, buy so do most other brands these days.

ReplyQuote
(@bmancv-60)
Estimable Member

by Ignar Hillstrøm on Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:19 pm

I've got an Ibby RG550, AF75 and P160. They offer good value for money, buy so do most other brands these days.

I'm counting on that, and waiting for my Jay Turser JT-133 (335 copy); with any luck it will meet me at the door tonight. From what I've read its one of the better imports and at less than $250 compared to $1600+ just the guitar I need to learn with. :D

"...I don't know - but whasomever I do, its gots ta be FUNKY!"

ReplyQuote
(@ksac32)
Reputable Member

I have had a few copies i liked better than others-I had an Agile lp i loved-my current "strat"is a copy-anyway parts of it are, its made of parts from several guitars one being a fender.

http://www.soundclick.com/kensacco
http://www.soundclick.com/thetools

ReplyQuote
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

I first shopped (seriously) for an electric guitar about a year and a 1/2 ago.
Starting out, my first premise was that most of the components and technologies surrounding electric guitar building had been largely established. I shopped for what I felt were quality components, a great build quality from the manufacturer and value for money.
What the name on the headstock was didn't matter a whit.
I have trouble seeing a guitar being a 'copy' if it's using technological or design developments that are 30 or more years old. So does the patent bureau. If that's the premise, then the 'Strat Reissue whatever year' is a copy as well.
That said, I have 3 Fender 'family' guitars in my stable of 5. :wink:

Don

ReplyQuote