Overhaul your XP Experience

13 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@minus_human)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Hi,

I recently found a cool upgrade for your XP PC and thought i'd share it, It's called VISTA inspirat.
Not sure if Vista's gonna end up looking like this but it will be similair for sure.

Word of advice though i would'nt try running it on a PC barely able to run XP itself.
You can find it here:

http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/Universal-Vista-Inspirat-Brico-Pack-Download-26339.html

Also for those sick of IE6 - and if you don't have it already try Opera Browser it blows Mozilla Firefox and IE out the water.

Screenshots:

Minus Human

And all the things you said to me
I need your arms to welcome me
But a cold stone's all I see

Let my heart go

(@minus_human)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

oops didn't resize pics for forum sorry.

Minus Human

Let my heart go

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Minus, isn't this just a theme with new wall paper and icons?

ReplyQuote
(@minus_human)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Minus, isn't this just a theme with new wall paper and icons?

Yeah, that's basically what it comes down to, although it's about a 450MB skin when extracted. its way cooler than anything i've ever seen from style XP or window Blinds. it also changes your MSGina.dll to add a VISTA logo and your "Fast User Switching Interface" has been updated aswell.

The top menu also does some cool stuff

From the screen shots i've seen of Vista it looks very similair it terms of looks. No functionality yet we'll have to wait for that. - i;m still trying to get a BETA copy of VISTA. Our Company's a Microsoft certified Partner so i'm hoping we can organise something :wink:

Minus Human

Let my heart go

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

So what does it actually DO to enhance my experience? All that eye-candy will no doubt bog my system down so I can effectively do LESS instead of more. Maybe I;m missing something but seems to be the kind of stuff I try to get of my system as soon as possible. To me a computer is a usefull device to do something and I can't see what fancy graphics, sounds and animations add to that...

Now if MS would actually manage to design an OS that does not need 512mb ram to launch notepad I will be more impressed...

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

Also for those sick of IE6 - and if you don't have it already try Opera Browser it blows Mozilla Firefox and IE out the water.
What's so great about Opera? I tried it right after they started giving it away, but I wasn't too impressed.

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

I think the biggest plus to Opera is it's small and supposedly faster and it tabs like Mozilla.

ReplyQuote
(@evolution)
Estimable Member

The only thing that Opera is better than Firefox to me is its speed. Other than that I think Firefox is better it's a lot more customizable.

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

"Overhaul your XP Experience"
Er, no, thanks, it's bad enough as it is.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@minus_human)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

So what does it actually DO to enhance my experience? All that eye-candy will no doubt bog my system down so I can effectively do LESS instead of more. Maybe I;m missing something but seems to be the kind of stuff I try to get of my system as soon as possible. To me a computer is a usefull device to do something and I can't see what fancy graphics, sounds and animations add to that...

Now if MS would actually manage to design an OS that does not need 512mb ram to launch notepad I will be more impressed...

Well your in luck mate try Windows 3.1 and 3.11 works great. And no eye Candy :lol:

"Overhaul your XP Experience"
Er, no, thanks, it's bad enough as it is.

:? dunno what to say about that. i've had my current XP installation running for more than a year no virus infections yet, and it hangs/crashes less than SUSE 9.1

Minus Human

Let my heart go

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

yeah.. I've had mine for 3 years I think...No problems.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@mikey)
Reputable Member

Actually I find XP to be the most stable platform Gatesland has ever come out with, and I go back to pre 3.1 days. The only problem I have with it is that there are a number of games I can no longer play that were favorites of mine. Even with the adjustment that is "supposed" to run certain programs as if it were an earlier OP system.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Michael

Playing an instrument is good for your soul

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

LOL chalk me up with the XP gang. Been using Microsoft since DOS 3.something and XP is the best I've used. Less problems that I had with Linux. More stable than the UNIX platforms they use at work.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote