308 Posts
83 Users
0 Likes
45 K Views
(@sgincyqx)
Honorable Member

Well, cats are cute, in general.

That's actually a common misconception. Cats are evil, in general :wink:

Ewan McGregor: I said, "Eve, I want you to look after my wedding ring while I'm away," and she started to cry and I said, "Eve. Eve, I can't wear my ring or I won't get laid on the trip!"

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Make no mistake ... my cat Louie (Lucifer) is evil. No two ways about it. But, I love him and he loves me.

He bites!

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

There is nothing more evil than Catbert, the evil HR Director. Purrrrrrr Purrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr Purrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr !

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Ah well, why the heck not. What's left of my dignity after nearly five years of GN will be gone now. :lol: Here's me, in Vienna, where (to keep it related to music) I later went to the opera. 8)

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

You look exactly as I've pictured you! :lol: Except for the black fingernails! I never pictured that! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Hi,

Unfortunately, whenever I pick up an instrument people move swiftly away - so nobody has ever stayed close enough to get a picture of me actually playing a guitar. So you'll have to assemble the mental image from two parts.

In the first photo I appear to keep a spare hand on my shoulder. Maybe this is so that I can switch quickly from playing by ear or by eye to fingerpicking by hand....

The guitar on the right is the one that takes the most punishment, but I like to give the one on the left a hard time occasionally as well.

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Chris, do you also squeeze music out of that venerable banjo on the wall?

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Chris, do you also squeeze music out of that venerable banjo on the wall?

No, alas.

It belonged to my wife's grandfather and is in pretty sorry repair. It has been extensively stuffed about by him (he was an excellent banjo player but a pretty rough luthier in his old age). There's no back on it, the tuners are an unmatched mish-mash, the 'bridge' is just a lump of scrap wood, and some of the strings are missing.

It's some kind of cross between a mandolin and banjo I think, and has a very short neck. Banjolin or somesuch name. It has an address in Newhall St Birmingham (the one in UK I think) and the name Windsor Pyxe engraved on it.

Cheers,

Chris

The piano is a Roland digital HP-201. I've been really pleased with the sound and action on it, but haven't got much further than a few simple chords and melodies on it yet.

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Windsor is a reasonable make of banjo, it seems. The backs are mostly mahogany or some such wood - very nice.

Pyxe appears to be the tailpiece maker

http://www.findajo.co.uk/For%20Sale.htm#TBShort
Scroll down to "Tenor Banjos short scale"

The model is stamped into the headstock

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

The model is stamped into the headstock

Thanks Graham - you're spot on. Stamped into the headstock it says "The Windsor Mandolin Model 2".

Interesting that it says mandolin rather than banjo/mandolin or banjolin. I might have suspected that it was one of grandad's 'frankenstein' efforts - he apparently built himself a banjo after the war when instruments were hard to come by, using bits of a pressure cooker saucepan - but I've seen other references to 'banjolins'.
Google found this picture on the Flickr photo site of somebody playing one that looks identical. But whereas his looks in great condition, the one on our wall is a wreck and really only good as a memento.

Photo of somebody with a Windsor Banjolin on his Flickr site

Some unusual band outfits on this page at the same guy's site. :wink:

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
 lars
(@lars)
Noble Member

Thought I'd just post this one - it's obviously an extremely difficult chord I'm fretting :lol:

-don't be ashamed - let's see your 'guitar faces' :)

...only thing I know how to do is to keep on keepin' on...

LARS kolberg http://www.facebook.com/sangerersomfolk

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Great pic Lars. :D

Here in Australia we have a music quiz show on TV, called Spick and Specks, which has panelists who are usually either figures from the world of rock-n-roll or comedians. One of the regular team captains is a delightful woman called Myf who is a DJ on a radio station. And Myf reckons that everybody's "guitar face" is the same as their "sex face". :mrgreen: So clearly you like to concentrate on your work - no matter what it is...

Chris

ReplyQuote
 lars
(@lars)
Noble Member

No comment :roll:

- and thereby my idea of a "guitar face pic" theme died - thanks a lot chris :lol:

...only thing I know how to do is to keep on keepin' on...

LARS kolberg http://www.facebook.com/sangerersomfolk

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

- and thereby my idea of a "guitar face pic" theme died - thanks a lot chris :lol:

Nah.. I think that it should spur us on. It was an excellent idea of yours, which definitely shouldn't be allowed to fade away. Come to think of it I do have a pic of me with my 'guitar face' on - it was just in another folder.

Or maybe that was one of the others at the 'musical evening'.... hard to remember now, it was all a bit of a blur...

(actually, I'm not sure whether that really is Gene Simmons, or just somebody dressing up like him. Hard to tell under the make-up. When I Googled to find the pic, the ones of him without the make-up looked nothing like the stage image. All I know is that it's not me under all that... :) )

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Hush hush...lets not forget its a family forum... :lol:

ReplyQuote
Page 17 / 21