Clear all

Pickup suggestions for my Les Paul Copy

12 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@bgdaddy316)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I'm looking for some hotter pickups for my Les Paul copy. I'd like more power from the guitar and I'd like them to be open coil.

I found a pair of "hot Gibson/Epiphone Humbuckers" on Ebay, but I don't know if they would be good or not. Any opinions or recommendations would be great. Thanks.

(@hueseph)
Noble Member

On the extreme side:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/electric/humbucker/cutting-edge/sh13_dimebucker/

Middle of the road:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/electric/humbucker/progressive/sh5_duncan_cust/

Check out the audio samples. Remember that they're probably running these through a Marshall stack. Probably a jcm900

https://soundcloud.com/hue-nery/hue-audio-sampler

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

I'm not happy with my original pickups in a Epiphone LP. They don't sound good. Some people like the pickups but a lot of people change them. I'll do in the near future (currently I play another guitar more than the LP). I don't know if those pickups in eBay are like my pickups.

ReplyQuote
(@bgdaddy316)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

THanks for the feedback. I'm going to stay away from the Gibsons for now. I talked to my guitar teacher tonight and he suggested Dimarzios or Seymour Duncans. I will probably go with one of those for now. Hopefully, I can find a cheap set.

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

Daddy - two suggestions from a man who has tried almost every humbucker out there:

- Gibson 490T (bridge) /490R (neck) - GREAT sounds pickups that can be found for $100 used and will make a world of difference in your guitar. Make sure you get GIBSON USA and not Epis.

- Seymour Duncan JB / Jazz. The best aftermarket set (in my opinion) for rock n' roll. The Duncan '59s are ok, but I like how the Jazz offsets the JB.

DiMarzio pups are excellent and you really con't go wrong wth them, but I would suggest the Gibson 490 series and the Duncan JB/Jazz over similar DiMarzios.

If you really want DiMarzios, check out the PAF Pro sets. They give you a nice BadCo sound.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@bgdaddy316)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Dali. That's great info.

ReplyQuote
(@bgdaddy316)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Is there anywhere other than ebay and craigslist to pick up reasonably priced, used pickups?

ReplyQuote
(@mac-manc-mcmanx)
Estimable Member

DiMarzio pups are excellent and you really con't go wrong wth them, but I would suggest the Gibson 490 series and the Duncan JB/Jazz over similar DiMarzios.

If you really want DiMarzios, check out the PAF Pro sets. They give you a nice BadCo sound.
Where's slejhamer? :lol:

When you wanna rock hard children, lean on F sharp

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I switched out the pickups on my Epi SG a few months back to some Seymour Duncans. '59 and Distortion. I like them.

I'm one of the ones that are happy with the stocks on my Epi Les Paul.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@bgdaddy316)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Ended up with a pair of Gibson pickups on Ebay. They are on the way. I'll check back and let you all know how it goes. Thanks for all of the feedback.

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Where's slejhamer? :lol:

ROFL! I saw Dali mentioned Dimarzio so I didn't see a need to toss more wood on the fire. :mrgreen:

But with Dimarzio, Duncan or Gibby, Bgdaddy can't go wrong.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@bgdaddy316)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

They arrived today, so we'll find out as soon as I can get them in.

ReplyQuote