Clear all

Places to download sound clips?

19 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@s1120)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

OK, so im farly new to this whole "making music" thing.... You guys that have been around the block... Where does everyone download there sound clips to? Im getting set up to do some recordings of some stuff im working on, and want to to share it with friends. [well you guys also :D ] Ive muddled out there a bit, checked out soundclick and a few others, but most seem setup only for bands and proformers and stuff... Any option for just the every day joe trying to upload a soundclip?? I could go the youtube route... but dont realy want to get into the video thing yet. Thanks for any help!

Paul B

cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

there's Soundclick and I think soundcloud you can probably just google and find a bunch of free hosting sites

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

Soundclick is great. Free, no spam, great customer support...not sure how they stay afloat, but I'm glad they're there. :)

Don

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I use Sound Click .... actually need to upload some stuff. A CD my son and I did a while back. Kind of a re-release.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

There's heaps so I really can't zero in on one in particular.

SOUNDCLOUD is what we use to move around the "in-house works in progress" stuff among ourselves. We keep it locked for just the five of us...and you can add heaps of comments pointed dead on to any part of your compositions.

WETRANSFER is good to move anything in bulk.

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

ReplyQuote
(@s1120)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

OK, so I signed up for soundcloud. Thanks for all the advice. Well that being said… what's the general consensus of uploading cover songs? All the sites are filled up with pages of copyright info, but what's the deal with a normal guy working on songs just for himself, and not for pay?? [And believe me… no ones paying for my music!!! :D ]

Paul B

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Stickey subject. I believe you are supposed to have permission so royalties are paid but I think a lot of folks don't do it. Like you said, not like you are making a CD of covers to sell and make profit from. I know Sound Click has information of who to write to for permission and if you sell your stuff they get a cut, so much per specified number of songs sold. Like you said, with folks like us that aint gonna happen. I was thinking we might try our hand at doing a really polished CD of covers and if we do that then I would go through the necessary steps. I think avoiding this might be why we video ourselves playing and put it ou YouTube. I'm sure copywrite laws still apply it just seems more lax is all since people are posting the actual artists music with a slide show of the album's cover over there. I doubt anyone would ding you and I have certainly posted covers there but I think still technically you need to have permission and pay royalties.

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

Stealing is stealing. :oops:

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

when i began uploading to Soundclick years ago, I too worried about copyright issues and cover songs. I contacted BMI and several other places for answers and permissions; I never heard back.
yeah, stealing is stealing if your selling.
I create my own arrangements. I would enjoy having permission for using the original and then have the rights to my arrangements.
I don't understand why I never got a reply form the publishing houses.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Ok maybe I'm naive but why would you need permission to post a cover song when there is no money involved? If it's true it doesn't make sense.

I know in a bar they are required to pay somebody like BMI if cover bands play because someone is making money but if no money is involved I can't see what legal grounds they have.

If that were true then the music police could bust you if they heard you playing a cover in your basement.

It's all BS. What would they sue you for and what could they possible get out of it?

I'd say post away like the other bizillions of people do.

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

i think it comes down to permission to do the song and a certain fee for each block of units sold. That is why there is less issue with YouTube. You can't sell them on there. I suspect that because they know there is no money to be made, they just didn't bother to get back to you Dog. I do know that all clubs and bars are supposed to pay a set fee to cover the bands that play covers in their establishments as mentioned above because there is money made. It's a blanket license. These groups want you to play their music. Thats how it remains popular. They just want a cut if you are selling it.

PS My son & I did a cover by a certain artist, put it on YouTube and E-Mailed it to said artist to show it to him. He said it was great and wanted to see more ..... for what it's worth. He didn't sue us, he encouraged us!

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

I still don't believe you need permission to play someone else's song unless there is money involved then technically yea but I'm wondering how many bars do that.

These bands authorize their music to be published in books what do they think people will do with them look at them..they are going to play them.

As long as you're aren't making money it's for your own enjoyment whether or not people see it is irrelevant.

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I bet alot of bars not only don't bother but probably don't even know about it. A woman I used to work with ran a dance studio and I know she payed ASCAP fees for their recitals.

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

You bet bars do it. In many locations you need to get a license to have music and/or dancing in a bar, which puts you on the radar of ASCAP & BMI.

All the rights agencies also have auditors who go out looking for bars playing their tunes without a license. I've personally had the experience of playing in a cover band in a bar when an auditor came in, and everything came to a halt until the licensing fee was paid (which the bar owner did right away - we were only off for 20 minutes or so)

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Note I know bars do it and I know some don't cuz I've worked in them. I realize they are all suppose to but what about this posting of a cover?

Where there is no money involved I can't see legally what they would go after or even how they could what's the legal precedent as we all know everything is about the $$$ so no $$$ no problem.

Am I missing something?

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2