Clear all

Plenty to Lose

523 Posts
57 Users
0 Likes
80.5 K Views
(@margaret)
Noble Member

Bish wrote: WOW, that's fantastic. Keep up the awesome work! Show some photos.
url= http://upload4.postimage.org/guitars/guitarnoise/1209676/guitar.html ][/url]

:lol:

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

I think one of the secrets to losing weight without feeling deprived is eating food that is truly satisfying, taste-wise and nutrition-wise. If we don't pay enough attention to what we are eating, we go for whatever is handy and it may be lacking the real nutrition we need, leaving our bodies still hungry for what they really need and want. (listen--Can you hear it? "Give me veggies....")

So it's a rainy fall day here in Cheddarheadland and I've broken out the soup recipes.

Last night I chopped veggies (carrots, yellow squash, green pepper, cabbage, onion), opened some cans (black beans, northern beans, green beans, crushed tomatoes, vegetable broth) added some salt, pepper, crushed garlic, and let the crockpot simmer all night long.

Smelled so good this morning I could've eaten it for breakfast! Planning to pick up a loaf of focacia and it'll be a feast tonight. If you fellow "losers" were closer, I'd invite you over for a bowl. Mmm. As it is, I'll be able to indulge for a couple of days and still enough to freeze for another time.

I keep this soup vegetarian so my daughter will partake, but you could easily throw in a little diced ham, beef chunks, turkey sausage or whatever.

Now if I've made your mouth water for some hearty veggie soup, then good. I'll be happy to take the credit for your enjoyment of such a nutritious meal. :D

Margaret (or you can call me Mom)

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Mmmmm that does sound good.

Makes me hungry.

I know I stashed a Twix around here somewhere.

Oh no, I just found the OREO's I hid here last spring. :oops:

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

Bish wrote: Mmmmm that does sound good.

Makes me hungry.

I know I stashed a Twix around here somewhere.

Oh no, I just found the OREO's I hid here last spring.

:shock:

Casting my pearls before swine.....

:roll: :lol:

Margaret

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

to each their own, but for me I found it more effective to eat the things I craved in the proper portion size.

Not that there is anything wrong with vegetables...my favorite edible animals eat them all the time.

ReplyQuote
(@violet-s)
Reputable Member

I enjoyed catching on up on everyone's post since my last visit - I've been too embarrassed to post as I hadn't practised guitar or kept to diet due to study commitments, anyway back on track now with diet, exercise and guitar practise! ouch my fretting fingers! Cashews I discovered are really fattening and hard to stop eating!! so now I have to relose all the weight I lost before. not to mention scones etc picke up from the local bakery.

Hope you are all enjoying a pleasant Fall up north, it's a pleasant Spring here at the moment, ahh lots of spring cleaning to catch up on though.

Vegie hints are good, there's an add on the Tele channels here at the moment encouraging everyone to eat 5 serves of vegies and 2 or 3 serves of fruit a day, good idea - there was a program on recently, probably a copy of a US or UK one, that revealed many parents were just feeding their families many meals of fast foods - showing the parents the bad effects this would have on their childrens health and how aging this was shocked them in to trying to prepare well balance meals plus disciplines etc - you probably've seen something similar on your own TV's.

Well I'm back to eating the fruit salad and yogurt for lunch with the warmer weather. Still on the yoga and tai chi, don't worry I won't list my latest DVD aquisitons :D

cheers till next time and keep up the good work everyone :)

ReplyQuote
(@minus_human)
Reputable Member

well i'm the odd one out here, i'd like to gain while everyone's trying to get rid of weight. Since my last post i gained 5kg's whooooo!!

took 2 weeks of will be back at it again from sunday.

Good luck all whatever your goals..

Rudi

And all the things you said to me
I need your arms to welcome me
But a cold stone's all I see

Let my heart go

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

Violet Davis wrote: it's a pleasant Spring here at the moment
Oooo, I'm so jealous! I don't want it to be fall and especially not winter!!!

V Davis wrote: there was a program on recently, probably a copy of a US or UK one, that revealed many parents were just feeding their families many meals of fast foods - showing the parents the bad effects this would have on their childrens health and how aging this was
Yes, I've seen some of this type of thing, as well. It's no wonder we're seeing more and more 30-somethings having heart attacks and strokes, etc. The junk food is just too, too plentiful and available, and tastes good. My point is, it doesn't really satisfy our bodies, so we just keep chowing it down in massive quantities, yet never are truly satiated.

It took a short while to break my carb addiction and cravings, but now that I'm making better food choices, I'm actually craving the fresh veggies, etc., and am able to stop with reasonable portions of the indulgences or pass them up altogether without feeling deprived.

This morning my son, after his football game, bought a caramel-covered donut (with sprinkles, no less). (No, he won't listen to me about the veggies, either, Nick :lol: ) He couldn't finish it and gave me the last bite. It was just enough to taste good, but also enough for me to know that I'd have been ill, and justifiably so, had I eaten an entire donut.

Minus Human wrote: well i'm the odd one out here, i'd like to gain
Maybe Bish would share some of his Twixes and OREOs if you ask real nicely...... :wink:

Margaret

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Margaret wrote:

Maybe Bish would share some of his Twixes and OREOs if you ask real nicely......

Well folks, I was using my joking attitude to hide the fact that I'm a huge failure when it comes to dieting or exercising or any type of bodily improvements. I've failed everytime I've tried.

I'm done with the humor and the mass consumption of Oreos and other tooth killing comsumables.

After reading all your great results, to those who've stuck with it, (Margaret losing 40 pounds?) I'm totally embarassed and ashamed of myself. It's been 9 months and I could have been striving for that fitness level that's eluded me for many years. So last week marks 2 months till my 50th Birthday. I'm at 224 now and I'm GOING to lose those 24 pounds by my birthday. I can do it. You guys have been an inspiration and I'm going to use it as motivation.

Yesterday I actually got back into the routine that worked best last time I tried to lose a few pounds. This time it's going to be a "shape up" mentality over losing weight.

Wish me luck.

Bish

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

Bish wrote: This time it's going to be a "shape up" mentality over losing weight.
Now THAT'S what I'm TALKIN' bout! :!:

Twenty-four pounds is quite a bit in two months, but it can be done. Better to focus on what you said above, than worrying about the exact ratio of numbers to dates, though.

Best wishes, Bish!

You can do it. We can help. Oh, wait, I think that's trademarked already. :lol:

Now, put the Twix down slowly..... :wink:

Margaret

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I just had some dental work done and I can't eat my salads right now. Stuck on pasta, but have not gained back either.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)
Topic starter  

Good luck, Bish. That's my goal, too - to be at 200 by the time I'm fifty. So far, this time, it's going well and I wish you similar success. That's a lot to lose in two months, though, so please be careful.

Peace

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Good luck, Bish. That's my goal, too - to be at 200 by the time I'm fifty. So far, this time, it's going well and I wish you similar success. That's a lot to lose in two months, though, so please be careful.

Peace

Thanks you guys. Good luck, rparker. As long as your jaw isn't wired shut....nibble, baby, nibble.

David, let's keep tabs on each other. It's more fun with a "running mate" for encouragement.

Last night (after my workout) I endulged myself in a couple bottles of water, 1 beer (for the heart) and some handfuls of peanuts. This morning it was Grapenuts and skim milk. Lunch...hooo boy...here comes the first challenge.... :D

Bish

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

RParker wrote: I just had some dental work done and I can't eat my salads right now
Toss the salad in the Bass-O-Matic and slurp it through a straw. :twisted:

Seriously though, a friend of mine was in a car accident in college and had her jaws wired shut for six weeks. She was embarrassed about the way she looked and talked, and didn't go out in public the entire time.

She'd call me and beg, "Oh, Margaret", (only you have to imagine what it sounded like through a mouth wired shut) "PLEASE drive through McDonald's and bring me a hamburger and fries." I swear, she put them in the blender and drank them through a straw. :shock:

Margaret

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Back in the late '80s, I sent a med student out to do a home visit on a small child. An interesting bit of information the student uncovered was that the child's favorite foods were McDonald's cheeseburgers and hardboiled eggs. Unfortunately, the child's teeth had rotted out from being allowed to fall asleep with a bottle of milk or juice in her mouth, and she couldn't chew them. So the mother or grandmother would chew the cheeseburger or egg, spit it out and feed it to the child.
:shock:

This morning I weighed for the first time since mid-summer. I was surprised to find my weight down around 20 pounds. I'm still fat as a bear, though.

I had noticed, however, that I was having to pull my belts tighter, had to punch extra holes in some, and that when I unfasten my belt, my still-fastened pants go straight to the floor!
:lol:

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
Page 23 / 35