Clear all

Plenty to Lose

523 Posts
57 Users
0 Likes
80.5 K Views
(@margaret)
Noble Member

Most amused by your view of the essentially evil and untrustworthy nature of weighing scales. :D My wife was exactly the same - treated them like snakes. Whereas I hopped on them very regularly - often more than once a day. I was intrigued, from a technical point of view, to try and observe how the fluctuations worked. Maybe it's a woman thing, this deep distrust of scales...

Anyway, brilliant stuff. That's a heck of an achievement.

Thank you, Chris. I know all the internal benefits, heart, lungs, reduced chance of stroke, diabetes, etc. But the one bennie that I appreciate and enjoy every day is how much better my knees and ankles feel without that "sack of potatoes".

I don't think the scale is only evil to women, though. I've heard plenty of men groan about how they'd been eating right and exercising, but gained a pound or two, and I've seen how that derailed their resolve. Discouraged, they went back to eating with abandon and slipping back into a sedentary style.

When I hit a plateau at one point, even the infrequent weigh-ins were discouraging. I didn't go up, but I wasn't seeing that downward trend. I had to tell myself that maybe that was as low as I was going to get without deprivation, and resolve that if that was indeed the case, it was still a far healthier weight than where I'd been.

I'd think you are more the exception than the rule, as one who could watch the scale go up and down and still stick to the program. More power to you. :)

Margaret

[edit: P.S. Something weird is going on with this thread. We have an extra page (28) added at the end, with no posts on it. ]

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I'm busily putting back on what I lost in November. The office girls are having a potluck luncheon for their gift exchange and invited me in (they ran everybody else off), and I can't pass up good home cooking! Gonna have to walk an extra lap through bear country tonight!

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

I'm busily putting back on what I lost in November. The office girls are having a potluck luncheon for their gift exchange and invited me in (they ran everybody else off), and I can't pass up good home cooking! Gonna have to walk an extra lap through bear country tonight!

Maybe you need to rile that bear just a little bit - might cause you to pick the pace up quite dramatically... :shock:

On second thoughts, maybe riling the office girls just a little would be more effective? I mean, one lil' ol' bear might not be so hard to outrun, but a whole pack of women after your blood.... you'd probably manage a couple of brisk laps of Tennessee rather than risk stumbling.... Very dangerous critters when caught in the wrong mood..... :wink:

Cheers

Chris

PS I think the weird 'phantom' page 28 just got fixed, by page 27 filling up. Wonder if it will happen again as it nears 29??

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Well, I have been using Calorie King for over a week now and I love it. I have been actively using their forums and blog to chat with other "losers" and keeping connected. I bought a really nice digital scale and a pretty decent food scale.

I think over all I lost a couple pounds this week but more importantly I feel so much more in control of my blood sugars (I am diabetic)

Thats my report for now.

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

That's great news, Geoo! Keep up the good work and please keep us posted! Having others to chat with and report progress, frustrations, etc, can make a lot of difference.

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I couldn't outrun the bear. For a big guy, he can really move!

I can outrun some of the office girls, but I can't hide from them. I've got to stay on their good side!

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

I think over all I lost a couple pounds this week but more importantly I feel so much more in control of my blood sugars (I am diabetic).

Jim

Fantastic news Jim. :D

We've got a diabetic or two in the family and controlling it can be quite an issue. You should be getting a double benefit with your program.

Joining the group to chat and support sounds like a really excellent thing to do as well. It made a very big difference to me to have two of us doing it at the same time - (and we overlapped quite a bit when we quite smoking too). It's a long steady haul rather than a short sprint, so it's very powerful having a support/cheer squad going for you, and being able to give it while you're getting it as well.

Go Geoo....

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@violet-s)
Reputable Member

That's a fantastic effort Margaret, great work.
Glad to hear you are doing well Geoo, hope this continues.

By the way, on bears again, we just watched the movie DVD 'Without a Paddle' , the bear scenes are hilarious; I especially liked the opening guitar track, however I don't
recommend it (the movie)for the genteel of taste, it might offend.

My weight loss has remained at 4 pounds, I've maintained the good diet but not getting in enough walking as yet. That weigh scale link that Chris said I was not obese but I was overweight which made me laugh. I'm not aiming to get as thin as I was 20 years ago, just in the middle of my recommended weight scale. So I've still got at least 10 pounds to go, but am not in a hurry. I've been looking at the tread mills in the shops, but they are rather expensive for my budget at the moment as am saving up for an electric guitar n amp, might get a better bike as they are a lot cheaper, also take up less room.

(PS Chris, I sent a reply re your garden site message but not sure if it got sent, thanks again anyway, Cheers)

Enjoy your holidays everyone and happy guitar playing!

:D :D

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Last night my wife was out in her smoking chair on the back deck at 1:00 a.m. when the neighborhood bear showed up rustling around the trash cans a few feet away, just outside the deck rail. The cats were acting funny. She heard the sound as he jostled the cans, looked up and saw the young bear. He tried to come around the cans, slipped on the wet clay (I have to REALLY be careful walking around that corner!), and started sliding down the slope toward the raccoon. Jane jumped up, stomped her feet and yelled at the bear. He took off running into the next door neighbor's yard. I heard about it some 3 hours later when she came up for a shower, after being back out there a few more times. She was up all night getting ready for her family coming over for Christmas today.

I've just about cancelled out the last 2 months' weight loss with holiday gluttony, but if I hadn't lost it I'd be that much more ahead...

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

I've just about cancelled out the last 2 months' weight loss with holiday gluttony, but if I hadn't lost it I'd be that much more ahead...

Yeah, I've been pondering that too... I can't seem to find any bears to chase round here, so I've been tossing up other options.

I'm determined not to match some of the previous years' efforts in the Yuletide scoffing and boozing department. But I'm sure as heck not going to spend the time sipping carrot juice and nibbling lettuce leaves... a bit more exercise is looking inevitable... :shock:

Last night we had some friends around and tucked into some fairly substantial goodies (two lots of desserts had been brought along as well as the usual festive array of grub...), and naturally a few bottles of this and that were sampled. And it's only just begun. :wink:

So this morning I shuffled out and started cutting up fallen branches, dragging logs around and generally tidying up...puff...pant...

What are the rest of you planning?

Snow shovelling? Running? Long walks?

I've suggested to Vicki that chasing a young mistress around might give me a good workout, but oddly enough she seemed to think this might lead to me getting a serious injury. :? ???

So I guess it's back to a bit of extra digging, chopping and so on.

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I've suggested to Vicki that chasing a young mistress around might give me a good workout, but oddly enough she seemed to think this might lead to me getting a serious injury. :? ???I expect I might not be keeping my big Johnson long if I took up that kind of activity. (Speaking of "Plenty To Lose.")

Got back a little while ago from a long hard walk. Didn't sight any bears.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I went out back just now to pet Callie the kitty, and the skunk went running under the deck.

I rather like that skunk. He's sort of semidomesticated. He's gotten rid of the troublesome raccoons at the bird feeder (he likes to dig under it at night), and if he hangs out at the back he just might get rid of the bear for me, too.

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

I rather like that skunk. He's sort of semidomesticated. He's gotten rid of the troublesome raccoons at the bird feeder (he likes to dig under it at night), and if he hangs out at the back he just might get rid of the bear for me, too.

Sometimes it pays to have friends in low places.... :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Congrats to everyone making progress.

I was doing better, then I did worse. One step forward, two back. And it is costing me money!

Had to take a physical for insurance reasons at my job. The insurance broker called and said, "Well, looks like the insurance company is going to charge you the standard rate, rather than the 'preferred.' They said you're twenty pounds over their preferred weight limit ... "

It could be worse, of course - being "standard" is obviously better than being sub-standard. But I have to be honest - their preferred weight limit must be fairly liberal, because I'm probably more like 30 - 35 pounds overweight now.

And, the really embarassing thing is that I had the broker on my speaker phone, so everyone in my office heard the news. They now call me Tubby. :(

So ...

No more excuses. The knee has healed from surgery, and it's time to get back into fighting form.

Today I enrolled in ...

BRAZILIAN JIU JITSU!

First class will be Saturday. I'm psyched!

:twisted:

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

We've got another "ghost page" with no posts on it at the end of the thread. Let's see if this will push it over to a real one...

Nope! Posting and clicking on "Click here to view your message" got me to "No posts exist for this topic." Same with just waiting for it to come back after posting. Had to backtrack to get back here. Board's doing weird stuff.

ReplyQuote
Page 28 / 35