Clear all

Plenty to Lose

523 Posts
57 Users
0 Likes
80.5 K Views
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

Lost 2 1/2 pounds :D The secret is keeping busy :wink: Good job everyone :D --the dog

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Now that college have restarted....I am sure atleast i won't gain any weight..Ah.. the bus the bus :oops:

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

update: we bought a Taylor home scale.

The type that measures body fat as well. From what i've read these aren't too accurate as far as bodyfat measurements are concerned but the weight matches what my Drs office got so i'm confident about that.
The Dr said that it probably would measure my bodyfat fairly accurately until i started getting a lot lower %. So at least i'll be able to get a rough idea about my bodyfat/water % as i go.

almost 3 wks now and i've lost a total of 7 lbs.
keep up the good work everyone :wink:

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)
Topic starter  

Pardon the pun but apologies for weighing in late. Didn't drop a pound (or ounce) last week but didn't gain either. Way too early to be hitting a plateau! :wink:

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Well, I'm slightly amazed! Even with my french toast fiasco I've had my best loss yet! I'm down a total of 8 lbs!!! YAY! :D And, I start my new job tomorrow so that should help, too! I won't be hanging around the house so much!! YAY!

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@robbie)
Honorable Member

Losses are slowing down only .8 of a lb this week. Not necessarily a bad thing either as I was getting a bit fatigued and took a couple days off from work outs this week. Since Jan 2 a total of 13.2 lbs.
Twisted Lefty as one of the resident gym rats I am asked all the time about the scale at the gym which also shows BF %. I tell new users that while it may not be 100% accurate, it at least gives you a reference point. Body fat losses can then be measured from that point onwards. Measurements fluctuate widely according to hydration levels so it is necessary to step on that type of scale confident that your hydration is about the same. Therefore I am anal about weighing at close to the same time of day. I do this once a week, at about 10:00 AM Monday, prior to my workout, after having eaten the same as last week and drunk the same amount of water. Remember that alcohol consumption the day before will dehydrate cells and cause a fluctuation in readings. For you ladies, this won't effect Lefty but menstrual cycles also effect your cell hydration levels.You may know all this but thought I would mention it.
Keep it going everyone!
Robbie

ReplyQuote
(@jasoncolucci)
Reputable Member

Good job on the losses guys, keep it up. As for bf% on scales...it can be very innacurate I've found. For instance, last week I got readings of 11%, 15%, and 32%... at least the weight is usually accurate on digital scales. Keep going, and don't worry if the scale says you don't weigh any less, the mirror should be able to tell you if you've lost fat. Water, food, and when you went to the bathroom last all effect that. Try and keep in mind that nutritional timing is important as well as what you eat. If you were to sit down and eat 100 grams of protein in one meal your body wouldn't be able to digest all of it, so space out your meals and try and keep them balanced. ideally, 40% protein, 30% carbs and 30% HEALTHY fats but you by no means need to be strict about that until you get closer and closer to dropping "that final few pounds." Goodluck to you all.

Guitarin' isn't a job, so don't make it one.

ReplyQuote
(@violet-s)
Reputable Member

Way to go all, well done. I've managed to lose 2lbs so far and keep up exercise and healthy eating - :)

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

A UK hypnotist, Paul McKenna, currently has a series running on Sky Television called "Paul McKenna Will Make You Thin". He doesn't actually use hypnosis, just techniques taken from self-hypnosis to get the person to change their own perception of food and eating. There is no diet, as such, just 4 rules, around which everything is based. So far, he appears to have produced some impressive results, simply by changing a few small things in the way a person runs their daily life. This is, probably the key to it all - there is no major change required and no see-saw dieting. For example, one of his tame audience, who are all taking his "course", is a salesman, who changed from parking directly outside his customer's building to parking a short distance away. He had been given a pedometer and, prior to the change, had clocked up around 4500 steps a day, whereas he clocked up nearly 8000 after that little change. He lost weight, without any apparent effort, on his part and no change to any other facet of his life style.
One of Paul McKenna's major tenets is that the argument about a person's metabolic rate is all rubbish - you are NOT born with a particular metabolism, but have the one you've earned through your life style. Change your life style and you change your metabolism. If you diet, the body goes into a primitive starvation mode and slows the metabolism accordingly, so, in the end, most diets are self-defeating. Raising your metabolic rate, by eating properly and exercising more, within the framework of your daily life (e.g. take the stairs instead of the lift, etc), will take more pounds off (and, more importantly, keep them off) than any form of diet.
I'm trying to lose around 6Kg (around 14lbs), so I'm watching this programme with interest.
At first sight his 4 rules look a bit wacky or too obvious to talk about, but taken together change your perception of eating. If anyone is interested, he has a web-site to promote his series along with an explanation of the rules:
http://www.skyone.co.uk/mckenna/ .

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

I hereby nominate Weird Als Parody "Grapefruit Diet" as the "Plenty to lose" thread Official Theme Song.
all in favor type "Aye"

Grapefruit Diet is the eleventh (11th) song on the "Running With Scissors" album. It is a parody of "Zoot Suit Riot" by Cherry Poppin' Daddies with original lyrics by "Weird Al" Yankovic.
-------------------
Grapefruit Diet
by Al Yankovic

Lyrics:

Who's that waddlin' down the street
It's just me 'cause I love to eat
Fudge and Twinkies and deviled ham
Who's real flabby? Yes, I am!
Every picture of me's
Gotta be an aerial view
Now my doctor tells me
There's just one thing left to do

Grapefruit Diet (Diet!)
Throw out the pizza and beer
Grapefruit Diet (Diet!)
Oh, get those jelly donuts out of here
Grapefruit Diet (Diet!)
Might seem a little severe
Grapefruit Diet (Diet!)
I'm gettin' tired of my big fat rear
Blow, fatty!

Well, I used to live on chocolate sauce
Made sumo wrestlers look like Kate Moss
Walked down an alley and I got stuck
I got more rolls than a pastry truck
When I'm all done eating
I eat a little more
When I leave a room
First I gotta grease the door

Grapefruit Diet (Diet!)
Can't have another eclair
Grapefruit Diet (Diet!)
I gotta decrease my derriere

I'm on a Grapefruit Diet
I'm on a Grapefruit Diet
I'm on a Grapefruit Diet

No more pie now
No more creme brulee
Lay off the gravy
And souffle
No french fri-yi-yies now
No ice cream parfait
Mr. Cheese Nacho
Stay away

Oh I think I'd sell my soul
For a triple patty melt
But I need a boomerang
When I put on my belt

Grapefruit Diet (Diet!)
Lay off the 3 Musketeers
Grapefruit Diet (Diet!)
Until my big booty disappears
Grapefruit Diet (Diet!)
Eat 'em till they're comin' out of my ears
Grapefruit Diet (Diet!)
'Cause I haven't seen my feet in years

I'm on a Grapefruit Diet
I'm on a Grapefruit Diet
I'm on a Grapefruit Diet

I think I'm about ready for a Quarter Pounder with extra cheese
I need a side order of onion rings
And don't forget to Super-Size that

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

I seem to have a scale with attitude. It's one of those that 'says' your weight. That's really good if you are trying to keep it a secret. I think mine is not working properly or something.

Everytime I got on it, it blurts out, "One at a time please!" What does that mean? :evil: :wink:

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

This morning I was down 5# from when this started. Now I'm only up about 95# from college days. :lol:

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@violet-s)
Reputable Member

Aye! to the song - I have to admit to having fleeting but recurrent images of the gourmet chocolate brownies from the local cafe running across my mind this past week and a half - I decided to take my mind off food by booking two tickets to see Richard Thompson who'll be out here in March and at a hotel in Byron Bay, only half an hour away since they put a new highway in, yippee, looking forward to that.
Putting this image in as it's got Mt Warning in,it's by Australian artist William Robinson (not connected to me at all) which if I can get fitter family and I hope to walk up in June or July when it's much cooler here (yuz might remember Mt Warning if you've seen the movie Fern Gully) :)

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

The wife & I decided to get a recumbent bike instead of the elliptical trainer.
The schwinn 213 is rated as a "best buy" by consumer reports and can be found for under $500
i'll give an in depth review after i use it for a week or 2.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000BGI5CI/ref%3Dnosim/cabledigest3-20/102-2538959-2260126

i gained 1 lb back because of the superbowl feast (that's my story and i'm sticking to it) but i think the new bike will make my weight loss program shift into high gear.
259lbs.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
Page 9 / 35