Clear all

PRS 513

15 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@the-dali)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I was browsing the PRS website and I saw the 513 model... I love the looks of it, and the tonal possibilities of the singlecoil humbuckers. Has anyone played one? Any thoughts/comments on the tone?

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

Oh no... looks like the Dali has GAS again! 8)

ReplyQuote
(@jacko23)
Eminent Member

I was browsing the PRS website and I saw the 513 model... I love the looks of it, and the tonal possibilities of the singlecoil humbuckers. Has anyone played one? Any thoughts/comments on the tone?

well if its anything like any other PRS i have played, it should be killer. i have a custom 22 model, and ther is nothing better than the pickup selector all the way in the neck position. but you should try it out for yourself if you get the chance

ReplyQuote
(@voidious)
Estimable Member

And an expensive case of GAS, too ;) I think those run like 4-5 thousand?

I have never played one, but they are definitely gorgeous and I'd love to have one. The wallpaper they have on the 513 page is my current desktop background. ;)

-- Voidious

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I never understood why with hum/single pickup combos the single coil is in the middle.
with my all single coil guitars any that have a single coil in the middle dont have the tone.
neck and bridge single coils are killer. PRS are good guitars. I must be not getting it.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

I never understood why with hum/single pickup combos the single coil is in the middle.
with my all single coil guitars any that have a single coil in the middle dont have the tone.
neck and bridge single coils are killer. PRS are good guitars. I must be not getting it.

On the basis of individual pup tones, I agree with you. But here's a guess: To get the scooped mids tones with neck + middle and middle + bridge combos a la Strat. This would work especially well with tapped 'buckers.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

Hi man. I agree. I sure can rely on you to help me get it straight.
I appreciate it. :)
not a humbucker on any guitar I own.

with my strat, it is rare when I use the middle switch. that is where all the pups are on.
I have names for my other switch positions; they are more distinguished and have the tonal character
I use most. neck and bridge and the next click over, but not the middle.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I agree - the middle single coil rarely gets used by itself, but I find it useful to combine with the bridge or neck for hum-canceling purposes.

-=- Steve

ReplyQuote
(@phinnin)
Estimable Member

The middle has its uses.

The name of the guitar is part of the answer: 513 stands for 5 pickups, 13 different switch positions. You can tap 'em, run 'em phase, out of phase and grouped in various combo's. There is a three way selector knob along with a 5 way rotary switch.

The middle pickup allows you to noise cancel the neck when in singlecoil mode.

There's a killer video demonstration on the PRS site:

http://www.prsguitars.com/513/index.html

I tried hard to get one of these guitars when I was shopping for my PRS. I figured a 513 or a Modern Eagle would be a total score if I found one on ebay. No such luck.

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Did you not find one, or didn't find one you wanted? Have you played one?

-=- Steve

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

By the way, I've seen Fender do the same thing in terms of the pickups with the Lace Sensor pickups. I saw one Strat with the 5 pickups (4 of them paired to create humbuckers) with a bunch of toggle switches.

I guess I could do that with any guitar that allowed for H-S-H...

-=- Steve

ReplyQuote
 Kr1s
(@kr1s)
Trusted Member

And an expensive case of GAS, too ;) I think those run like 4-5 thousand?

I have never played one, but they are definitely gorgeous and I'd love to have one. The wallpaper they have on the 513 page is my current desktop background. ;)

They were originally 5 thousand but you can get the ro around 4 thousand now I believe, I have only ever seen one but wouldn't dream of playing it incase I broke the thing

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

There's a killer video demonstration on the PRS site:

http://www.prsguitars.com/513/index.html

Great video! All the differences between single and humbuckers can be distinguished.

ReplyQuote
(@phinnin)
Estimable Member

I did play one. friggin' awesome. I found a few but I couldn't get a decent price on one. My budget was tight for one but I was hoping for a miracle. Its really wierd to say tight budget and PRS in the same sentence....

ReplyQuote
(@itchard)
Trusted Member

I picked up a copy of "Guitar Buyer" yesterday, and theres an interesting article in there that says that PRS basically have "revamped" the 513 because stocks of Brazillian Rosewood have become so rare that the wood is banned from use in large scale guitar construction.

PRS recreated it with a mahogany neck, and reduced the price tag on it. If you can pick up a newer one they may be slightly less expensive, but I guess its up to you weather you want Brazillian Rosewood or Mahogany.

Either way, its a killer guitar.

ReplyQuote