Clear all

PRS SE Custom

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@johnin510)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I was wondering if anyone has an opinion on the PRS SE Custom? I am considering it my next guitar. Here is the one I am looking at:

http://prsguitars.com/showcase/current/secustomgray.html

Guitar Center want 499.00 out the door......

It is between this one and an Ibanez S470DXQM used for around the same price. Take a looksy:

http://www.ibanez.com/guitars/guitar.asp?model=S470DXQM&color=1

(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Forgetting all other considerations, these two guitars differ in one important aspect - the neck contour. The PRS has a "fat" neck, i.e. is quite deep, from front to back, whereas the Ibanez has a "Wizard" neck, which is relatively thin. The two necks will feel very different in your hand.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

I looked at that body style of Ibanez. Price wise they are at a very comfortable price point.

However, after trying one out for a couple of days, the show stopper for me was the position of the cord jack that connects from the guitar.

With it being indented into the body it will not only cause damage from misguided cord tips but removal was just as difficult.

If you can find a used one, check out the area around the jack. It will most likely be damaged.

As for playability and the overall design, it was an easy guitar to play and light weight. :shock: :D

In my last band, the guitarist whom I have the utmost respect for, came waltzing in to practice one night with a very expensive PRS. At the time I had no interest in guitars or cared anything about it. He indicated it was around 4K and got it for half with cash incentives. He swears by it and truth be told he played it like no ones business.

I've been looking at them also since I'm now getting some serious education on guitars and have some sort of clue as to what's out there. I can't justify a $2000 to $3000 guitar just yet. I crossed into new territory purchasing my Fender Deluxe Strat. That guitar does everything I could ever ask of it.

I think PRS has a Santana model under the $1000 plateau but haven't compared it to the expensive siblings so not sure what you are NOT getting. The body styles look the same and seems very easy to hit the higher frets with ease. One day, I'll have one. Probably before an Ibanez but you just never know. :wink:

In review, I would probably look at PRS and if you can find something in your price range, I would think you will be happy with it. Otherwise I would like at an Ibanez with a different body design.

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote