Clear all

Ralph Macchio vs Steve Vai

23 Posts
16 Users
0 Likes
(@gutfiddle)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

saw the "crossroads" last night, excellent movie, especially for the eighties. Im sure everyone's already seen it except me but i was 8 when it came out. Anyways, I am sure that the karate kid didnt play all the guitar in that movie especially when he whooped steve vai w/ the voodoo mojo at the end. If I could be like Robert Johnson I'd make a deal w/ the devil and then coublecross him like Frank Zappa!

Thinkin' bout the times we had
Some were good and some were bad
guitar fightin' the tv
i was thinkin bout you and me

(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Not sure, but I think it was Ry Cooder who dubbed the Ralph Macchio guitar parts....either way, it was a great piece of miming...almost as good as Michael J Fox in "Back to the Future"....

Crossroads is a fun film, I still love the "cuttin' heads" guitar duel at the end....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@gutfiddle)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

looked it up on Amazon and your right karate kid was fakin Ry Cooder's blues, he's a bad mammajamma, esp on the slide. i think Mikey did an awesome johnny b good also.

Thinkin' bout the times we had
Some were good and some were bad
guitar fightin' the tv
i was thinkin bout you and me

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Not sure, but I think it was Ry Cooder who dubbed the Ralph Macchio guitar parts....either way, it was a great piece of miming...almost as good as Michael J Fox in "Back to the Future"....

Crossroads is a fun film, I still love the "cuttin' heads" guitar duel at the end....

:D :D :D

Vic

Rats! you sayin it wasn't MJ in back to the future?
cross another off my list of guitar godz :wink:

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@m07zm4n)
Estimable Member

For a long time I told my friends MJF was a great guitar player.
Time to recall...
Stupid me :oops:

(to my defense: i hven't seen the movie in a while and wasn't even palying guitar back then...)

NO MORE THEORY!!
um...
KNOW MORE THEORY!!!!

<------>
motz
<------>

ReplyQuote
(@stormymonday)
Reputable Member

Michael J. Fox has been a guitar player for years and is apparently pretty good. I have the Back To The Future DVDs and in the commentary I believe it says that while what you hear isn't actually him playing, he played along with it note for note, and felt very strongly about wanting to make it look accurate. FWIW.

Steve Vai I'm sure could beat Ralph Machio in a guitar duel, but in a fight, nobody stands a chance against the Karate Kid and the crane.

ReplyQuote
(@gizzy)
Estimable Member

Yes, Micheal J Fox does play guitar, I saw him one night way back on Conan Obrien and he even played in some fly by night bands, He also got up during the show and played a song with the band on the show he is not bad, Yes he is no Steve Vai, or alot of the other guys out there, but he can do ok so I give him that credit.

:D

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

man, i hated crossroads. terrible plot, terrible dialogue, and terrible acting. pure 80s shlock. everything except the last 5 minutes was a waste of time.

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

for balance 8)

i loved it, great plot, fantastic dialogue, good acting, pure 80s magic. except the last 5 minutes sucked :wink:

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

Michael J Fox also was in a movie with Joan Jet and he played some guitar in that one I think. I can't remember the name of it but it was a good movie. --the dog

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
(@mattypretends116)
Honorable Member

I'm watching it tonight, as a matter of fact, for the first time. Funny there was a post here.

Can't give an opinion on the movie, but Vai can dust anyone. The man is flat out inhuman

"Contrary to popular belief, Clapton is NOT God. The prospect that he is God probably had a large hand in driving him to drugs and booze. Thanks everyone."

-Guitar World :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

I read somewhere that Vai did both guitar parts for the "cuttin' heads" duel at the end. Not sure who did the other guitar parts though. I've seen that movie a couple times, and loved it each time.

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

this brings teh funnay :wink:

http://www.progressiveboink.com/archive/crossroads1986.html

priceless~
"You suck, demon. You got tooled by a cracker. But hey, thanks for my soul back. Now we can end this stupid movie. Wax off, sucka."

btw there is an mp3 of the duel at the bottom of the page :wink:

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@twistedfingers)
Honorable Member

Actually, Vai did most of the guitar work. Ry Cooder did some of the playing as well. Vai recalled ina magazine interview that they shot the end twice because he didn't screw up bad enough against himself. :D

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- "WOW--What a Ride!"

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

this brings teh funnay :wink:

http://www.progressiveboink.com/archive/crossroads1986.html

priceless~

btw there is an mp3 of the duel at the bottom of the page :wink:
I forgot just how long that duel was. Great stuff.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2