Clear all

Reliced/Road Worn - What say you?

17 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
 Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member

Okay, fairness on the other side of the issue. I'm not buying anything relic-ed.

BUT...my main axe is probably more than 25 years old. Looks newer until you look at it really close; well maintained, but it's got its scars. (I've had it 2 years, and the company went under years ago, so no way to check age for sure. But it has hardware that appears to be from between 1980 and 1985.)

Feels so RIGHT. Sounds so GOOD. Looks beautiful. It fits right in my hands, is worn in all the right places, smooth where your hands sit, natural wood. everything works so smooth. In my life, the only thing that has ever felt this good to hold isn't a thing at all. (My wife, actually. Totally different story.)

I will keep this guitar until I die, and if I should be blessed with children, I hope one will want it.

I can totally see why some players will hold an old guitar, really fall in love with it.

But the old ones aren't so easy to come by. Or so cheap either. So, when they're trying to get the look, feel and sound of a vintage axe...they might buy something "road worn." I think this is the real market for the road worn- folks who are looking for a classic.

I think that mostly, they won't find it there. Patina is a funny thing.

But I guess I shouldn't criticise them for trying. Trying to find a classic doesn't make you a poser, necessarily.

Best,
Ande

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

I will keep this guitar until I die, and if I should be blessed with children, I hope one will want it.

Be careful what you wish for... I started my day today retrieving gear my son had "borrowed" :)

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2