Notifications
Clear all

"Robot" or "parrot" guitar players...

29 Posts
15 Users
0 Likes
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

can players that use Tab exclusively, play improv?
and then there is the age old problem.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KR7txrLvuY
:lol:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@threegtrz)
Estimable Member

I used to be in a band where the other guitar player did both parts of "One Way Out" note for note. Same with all the solos in The Beatles' "The End". And from gig to gig, he NEVER mixed it up. His solos were all the same everytime.

While I cast no doubts upon this man's talent, I do question his ability to express himself. Come to think of it, he was the Grumpy Old Man of the group.

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Always wonder one someone posts once and you never hear from them again.

To me this is a crock, what difference does it make how someone learned the music they are playing, the proof is in the performance, if they play the notes correctly all is good.

threegtz - Was that a bad thing? i wouldn't imagine even if he played the solo's the same every night I doubt he was playing to the same audience so to the audience it probably sounded great. Personally and I seem to be in the minority if I go see a cover band I want to hear them play them close to the original.

I've been disappointed at more than one concert hearing one of my so called favorite bands and then they play something totally different at a show vs what was on the record.

I guess I'm a meat and potatoes kind of guy. Don't like people messin with my steak either, sure you can put a bunch of fancy sauces on it and do all kinds of new age cooking but just grillmine with a little salt/pepper and maybe some Montreal Seasoning and I'm good.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
 Crow
(@crow)
Honorable Member

Always wonder one someone posts once and you never hear from them again.

It's called "trolling." You post something outrageous (or impossible), then lurk & laugh at the goobers who take the bait.
To me this is a crock, what difference does it make how someone learned the music they are playing, the proof is in the performance, if they play the notes correctly all is good.

Yes. It's called "performing" for a reason.

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whipped cream." - Frank Zappa

ReplyQuote
(@almann1979)
Noble Member

It might be trolling, but it is a question that really promotes debate.

I think it boils down to why you want to play the guitar. If all you want to do is copy songs, you can be a "robot player", and do it very very very well. I would be very impressed by somebody who could play a whole set of guns n roses songs note for note, even if they did not even know the pentatonic scale.

On the other side, I do like the freedom that a little bit of theory gives me if I choose to play a song or solo differently one night, or if I choose to add my own fills here and there.

However, just because I might choose to play things differently, doesn't mean I play them better, and it doesn't mean that people listening prefer it either.

All in all I enjoy not being a purely tab player, but the audience couldn't tell the difference, and a really good tab only player is worth ten of me any day of the week as far as the crowd are concerned.

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."
Noel Gallagher (who took the words right out of my mouth)

ReplyQuote
 Crow
(@crow)
Honorable Member

It might be trolling, but it is a question that really promotes debate.

True. It caused me to start this thread, which was pretty lively for a while.

The OP offered a sort of anti-theory attitude which I thought was dead long ago. In the early days of American punk I didn't tell many people I was a music theory major. It ruined one's street cred. Whereas a taste for punk/New Wave/whatever might mark a person as Suspect at the conservatory. There is a middle path, and I enjoy it. 8)

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whipped cream." - Frank Zappa

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

This is hillarious ........ I almost peed myself laughing!

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

OMG thats AWESOME!!!!!!

Paul B

ReplyQuote
(@threegtrz)
Estimable Member

@ Cnev: Not saying it was bad or good. Just sayin'. Playing music is such a subjective and personal thing anyway. They guy I was referring to never changed anything. Ever. And if it suited him at the time, great. But I didn't get into this life to be a stenographer. I have learned my share of solos note for note and still found it wanting. For me, when I put my personal take on a piece, that's when I can experience those glorious musical victories, or those glorious failures.

BTW, I found out recently the guy I referred to has quit the business. Said it wasn't fun anymore. I have to wonder if, maybe if he hadn't been so lock-step in his approach, he might have gotten more satisfaction out of it.

In the end, Rick Nelson had it right: "...you got to please yourself"

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Exactly you have to please yourself no one or nothing else really matters. Maybe I've defended the "robot" player a little to much probably because that's where I am.

Some of it is due to how much time I have to spend on music and some I'm sure has to do with my talent or lack of. In any event I am one of those players.

Now for what I do there is absolutely nothing wrong with it I play my parts and for the most part play them correctly but I do not stray from the way I have learned it, but then again we aren't making "new" arrangements of classic rock.

The guy playing lead doesn't do that though. I'm not exactly sure how he goes about learning a solo but they are never note for note

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

I'm not exactly sure how he goes about learning a solo but they are never note for note.

You put into memory a bunch of solos that feel right to you and you get used to them...second nature, really. THEN, have life kick you in the head more than a few times and they'll start sounding like more of what's inside of you. :wink:

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

ReplyQuote
(@fleaaaaaa)
Prominent Member

together we stand, divided we fall..........

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

See, what's wrong with robot players they rock!!

ReplyQuote
(@fleaaaaaa)
Prominent Member

Many technical players play a lot like robots too.....

together we stand, divided we fall..........

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2