Notifications
Clear all

Rock Dreams

38 Posts
17 Users
0 Likes
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Way back in 1978 I had a vivid dream that I was onstage with a band in front of a large rowdy audience, playing guitar and singing Norman Blake's Southern Railroad Blues. Never mind that I couldn't play guitar and had never sung in front of anyone except in a childrens' choir long ago, I was going strong until I was rudely awakened by my new bride punching me in the gut! She didn't appreciate me serenading her that way at 4:00 a.m., though she said I was singing on key.
:lol:

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member

Hey Kevin, I think you've just experienced a hypnopompic hallucination, which occurs right before falling asleep or upon awakening. Don't worry it's normal. It's happened to me once, t'was pretty weird. It's truly amazing what the brain can do.

Oh and I completely understand how you feel because I feel the same way. Sometime it feels like I know these people (and it's easier to feel that way when they're dead, hah).

On a side note, I wonder how many people dream about Hendrix at any one time :lol:
Lol, too many. And for many different reasons, I'm sure.

And thanks by the way AK, and yes it is amazing what the brain can do. Isn't it true, on average, we as humans only use like 20% of it's power?

ReplyQuote
(@embrace_the_darkness)
Honorable Member

I've only ever had the one "rock dream", at the end of which I immediately woke up and wrote my first song down. I wasn't even a guitarist at the time either! :lol:

And as for this;And thanks by the way AK, and yes it is amazing what the brain can do. Isn't it true, on average, we as humans only use like 20% of it's power?

Its 10%. Oh, and it's also actually a complete myth. We ustilise 100% of our brains (evidence for this is provided by the fact that a small amout of damage to almost any area of the brain can have devastating results) - what is unclear is how much of our brain's capabilities we use.

From my understanding, it's mostly to do with how the various areas of our brain interact with each other - people who are regarded as having a "special ability" often show sign of brain interactivity which we 'normal' people do not have; such is the case in synaesthesia, where hearing a sound can often result in seeing a colour. The areas for hearing and sight are connected in a way which is not considered 'normal', thus leading to an addional capability.

Who knows what could be possible if other regions of the brain which are usually completely seperate could interact?

Perhaps we could be able to 'see' the music coming off of the guitar as we play.......how awesome would that be!! :lol:

Pete

ETD - Formerly "10141748 - Reincarnate"

ReplyQuote
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member

Yea that would be pretty amazing if that could happen naturally.

I mean that's kind of what drugs do...right? They throw everything out of balance which is why some people love to trip to Pink Floyd and bands like that.

I don't mean to go off topic but dreams are part the brain, so yea, it's not really off topic. There's many other special abilities some people have. I'm sold on this one. You know how some people say they can see aura's around a person? Well, a person that works with my mother can see auras. She always knows when my mom is in a bad mood or in a great mood, even though they aren't close friends. My mom puts a mask on at work because she always want to be happy for her customers (she works at a hairdressing shop), so it's not easy to tell. She always, always knows and my mom gets freaked out at it sometimes. And this other time she did something weird with a flame. Someone took out there lighter and lit up some piece of wood or something inside the shop. She wanted to prove what she could do and she told someone to slowly walk by (whom she said had a bad precense coming from her). The flame went out when she walks by. And I believe all of this, my mom wouldn't lie.

I really do wonder about the power of the brain, it's amazing what it could potentially do.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Its 10%. Oh, and it's also actually a complete myth. We ustilise 100% of our brains (evidence for this is provided by the fact that a small amout of damage to almost any area of the brain can have devastating results) - what is unclear is how much of our brain's capabilities we use.

From my understanding, it's mostly to do with how the various areas of our brain interact with each other - people who are regarded as having a "special ability" often show sign of brain interactivity which we 'normal' people do not have; such is the case in synaesthesia, where hearing a sound can often result in seeing a colour. The areas for hearing and sight are connected in a way which is not considered 'normal', thus leading to an addional capability.

Who knows what could be possible if other regions of the brain which are usually completely seperate could interact?

Perhaps we could be able to 'see' the music coming off of the guitar as we play.......how awesome would that be!! :lol:

Pete

Well if 100% of our brain was always active we'd be awfully overwhelmed. Most people think that because our whole brain is not 100% active all of the time that we would have special abilities if it was. But that's not true. The thing is, the brain is a processing machine. For example, if you hear sounds, then a particular part of your brain will activate, it is not active when you don't hear anything. If you see something, another part of the brain gets activated, but if you close your eyes and it's completely dark, then that region of the brain won't be active because there is no visual stimuli to process. So in light of this, if the brain were to be 100% activated, then we'd be processing an awful lot of stimuli of different modalities, and anyways there are inhibition processes that keep that from happening. A very good example to illustrate how useful inhibition is, and how it's not somethings that's limiting: if there wasn't any kind of inhibition, especially sensory, then you would always feel your clothes rub against your skin. That would be very unpleasant and you would constantly be thinking about it. So Pete is right, every part of the brain is important, it's just that they're not activated 100% of the time.

Pete, concerning your association thing, I think they've done experiments with rats where they connected the nerve fibers of the auditory nerves to the optic nerves. I can't remember whether the experiment was successful with the rats 'seeing' sounds though... I'll have to look it up.

And the brain is not in a fixed state, it constantly changes with experience. For example, because you play guitar, your brain has allocated more brain area to processing stimuli from your fingers. But if you stop playing for a long time, the size of that area will go back to normal.

Ok I usually don't write posts that are this long. I'm a psych student so everytime there's a conversation about the brain I start rambling a lot ^.^

ReplyQuote
(@embrace_the_darkness)
Honorable Member

Ah, nice to know that I didn't just imagine the information that I wrote, and that it was sort of right! :D

When I said that
We ustilise 100% of our brains

I didnt mean that our brain is 100% active all the time, merely that every part of the brain is used at some point for something, and we do not have any area's that are "uncharted" so to speak. (or so I remember reading!)

Perhaps my linguistics area was playing up so I didnt explain myself well enough :lol::lol:

I'm tempted to say we are going off-topic here, but I have to admit it has to be one of the more intersting 'off-topic' dicsussions I've read on here so far during my 2 years here! 8)

Pete

ETD - Formerly "10141748 - Reincarnate"

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I have on rare occasions had amazing musical dreams. I've heard very good original symphonic music, fully orchestrated. I have absolutely no idea how to actually compose something like that.

I've had some amazing dreams of playing great guitar music that were the real thing, that is, I was playing it on the fretboard as it really would be. Wish I could remember it later when I was awake!
:shock:

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Ah, nice to know that I didn't just imagine the information that I wrote, and that it was sort of right! :D

When I said that
We ustilise 100% of our brains

I didnt mean that our brain is 100% active all the time, merely that every part of the brain is used at some point for something, and we do not have any area's that are "uncharted" so to speak. (or so I remember reading!)

Yes I understood your statement right, no worries :)
When I was talking about brains being 100% active, I was referring to the common belief that people have.

BUT we do have uncharted areas. Lots of research is directed at figuring out what they do exactly, and mostly it doesn't seem like they do one single thing but instead are involved in many different types of processing. The main point is: if it's there, it's important!
I'm tempted to say we are going off-topic here, but I have to admit it has to be one of the more intersting 'off-topic' dicsussions I've read on here so far during my 2 years here! 8)

Pete

I agree! But you're right this is off-topic so you won't get any more talk about the brain from me, at least not in this thread :)

ReplyQuote
(@oenyaw)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

You're right about the brain not operating at 100% efficiency, but I consider it to be one of those spare parts things we got built in. If yoou have a stroke, and part of your brain dies, it is possible to learn how to do something using another part of your brain. My mom did. It's like the reason we got two kidneys and a superficial vien going down our leg that can be cut out and used for cordinary by-passes. Those Gods/aliens knew what they we're doing!

Another old dream. I may have posted it somewhere else, but here goes.

I'm dead and walking in a cloudy field (really wierd, like in the clouds and on a big field at the same time). Anyway, I hear someone jamming on a guitar, so I'm following the music, looking for who's playing. I come up on two men dancing. Not together, but separately really getting into the music. One has long hair and is wearing an army jacket, t-shirt and jeans. The other is wearing black, with a black trenchcoat. I notice that they are John Lennon and Roy Orbinson. I walk up to John Lennon and ask who's playing. He doesn't look at me or stop dancing. He simply, mater-of-factly, says "Marc Bolan."

I woke up really happy after that one.

Brain-cleansing music for brain-numbing times in a brain dead world
http://www.oenyaw.com

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

I had a dream not long ago that my wife and I were at a concert (don't remember who) and she had apparently told them I played guitar so they plucked me out of the audience and handed me a guitar. I'm of course going on and on about how I can't play that well, I'm just learning, etc. and they insist. The wife had told them I was a huge fan and knew all of their music, so they tell me to play one of their songs with them. I then proceed to completely embarrass myself in front of thousands of people. It was more of a nightmare I guess. I still remember the feeling of shear panic I was going through.

I did once have a dream that Brittney Spears and I were close friends (back in the day before the head shaving and she had a career). She would fly me out to her place for shows and parties at clubs in LA. Unfortunately, it wasn't one of THOSE dreams. :-)

Jason

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I just finally understood part of the Rozerem "Your Dreams Miss You" ads today when I saw that what I'd thought was a groundhog was a BEAVER! :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@rocker)
Noble Member

this is really a cool topic, i always wondered why we dream and what makes us dream the things we do? have you guys ever had a dream and woke up
and wanted to go back to sleep so you can keep dreaming the same dream ? and it never works :evil:

even god loves rock-n-roll

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

I have on rare occasions had amazing musical dreams. I've heard very good original symphonic music, fully orchestrated.
Me, too. Some fantastically beautiful music! How I wish I could record it straight out of my head.

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
(@hueseph)
Noble Member

I usually dream about falling off the stage...or coming on stage and realizing I forgot to get dressed.....and I usually have to go to the bathroom real bad. :lol:

Regarding us using our entire brain. There are people who have chunks of their brains taken out but never lose functionality of their faculties. Maybe some minor memory loss. It seems that parts of the brain can take over for other parts. In regard to us using "all of our brain", I would like to see where you got that info.

https://soundcloud.com/hue-nery/hue-audio-sampler

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

A couple months after I started playing guitar I had this dream where I was being forced onto stage to play. I was like "Are you crazy?! I have no idea what I'm doing!" So after being dragged out there I thought, "Ok, I know 4 chords so I'll just play the heck out of them." Then I woke up.

Thinking back to that dream, not alot has changed. :lol:

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3