Clear all

Please listen to your heart..literally!

52 Posts
16 Users
0 Likes
(@kcfenderfan)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Moderators: Please move to whatever section you deem fit. I just felt the need to get this out there.

I had experienced chest pains for years and was told that I was too young for heart trouble (early 30s when I first started complaining) and that the pain I described was not heart pain. Back in September of 2006 at age 48, a doctor finally listened to me and sent me to a great cardiologist. I had a heart catheter procedure done and as a result of what was found, I had two stents placed in an artery to my heart that was 90% blocked. There were two other arteries that were blocked as well, but my cardiologist decided to leave them for the time being and see if medication would help them stay open. This gave me what I thought was a new lease on life and I took up guitar as a result. I had recently started having the same old chest pains again and it was discovered that the blockages they didn't treat had indeed worsened and needed to be opened with stents as well. My cardiologist said that if I hadn't "listened" to my heart, that I could have been in deep trouble.

Now that I have a second new lease on life, I wonder if I can talk the wife into another guitar (LOL).

Best regards,
Jim-Bone

(@ballybiker)
Honorable Member

good on you...i hope the moderators put this in a prominent position for all to see...i wish you my best in both guitar and health my friend 8)

what did the drummer get on his I.Q. test?....

Drool

http://www.myspace.com/ballybiker

ReplyQuote
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member

This is great. I'm glad you have a great sense of humor with this situation.

Good luck in the future, and I hope your wife gets you another guitar. ;)

Good luck.

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

New guitar!? She should let you get a new amp & some more effects too!! :wink: :lol: :P Glad things were caught in time & your feeling better. :D

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

WOW, great catch.

Listen up all you procrastinators!! Get checked.

Guess I should follow that same wisdom. :oops:

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
 jimh
(@jimh)
Estimable Member

Most definitely listen to this advice. Same thing happened to me in February. I am also 48. Left Anterior Descending artery was 100% blocked. I wasn't having chest pains. Mine was found during an EKG on a routine physical. I also have two stents implanted now.

Music is the universal language.

ReplyQuote
(@kcfenderfan)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Most definitely listen to this advice. Same thing happened to me in February. I am also 48. Left Anterior Descending artery was 100% blocked. I wasn't having chest pains. Mine was found during an EKG on a routine physical. I also have two stents implanted now.

Thanks everyone! Jimh, it was my LAD that was 90% blocked. I couldn't remember what the acronym stood for as the doc told me when I was still pretty groggy.

Jim-Bone

ReplyQuote
 jimh
(@jimh)
Estimable Member

Thanks everyone! Jimh, it was my LAD that was 90% blocked. I couldn't remember what the acronym stood for as the doc told me when I was still pretty groggy.

Jim-Bone

So I guess you are a "card carrying member" as well? What did you have done the second time? The right?

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

Glad you guys got the problems found and taken care of.

My former neighbor had been under treatment for chest pain attributed to acid reflux for over a year, but this time it seemed a bit worse, so he drove himself to the ER and it turned out he was having a heart attack. He had major blockages and now has two stents, as well. Think he's 48 years old, too.

I worry about my kids and their entire generation. Been hearing on tv how, for the first time in U.S. history, life expectancies will decrease in the next generation, and it's due to eating habits and lack of exercise. Of course, smoking is a huge risk factor, too--not sure if that rate is going up or down.

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
 jimh
(@jimh)
Estimable Member

According to the latest I've heard, more older people are quitting but teenage smoking has like doubled in the same time frame.

ReplyQuote
(@kcfenderfan)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Jim-Bone

So I guess you are a "card carrying member" as well? What did you have done the second time? The right?

The first time it was an artery on the right side of my heart that was 90% blocked in two places. This time it was the LAD and a diagonal artery on the left side as well.

Margaret, the age of heart patients is definitely getting younger according to one of the nurses I had the first time I was in the hospital. She had seen a 22 year-old that was in worse shape than me. I am trying to convince my kids to change their eating and exercise habits now. They are 22, 20 and 19. After the first time I changed my eating habits and have lost 35 pounds. It's not easy to do after eating bad for so long, but it's what I needed to do.

Jim-Bone

ReplyQuote
(@oenyaw)
Reputable Member

I had been having chest tightness. Went to the Dr, found out it was asthma, back after a 40 year haitus.

Get a new guitar for the heart stints? Wish I would have thought of that one when I had the colonoscopy a couple of years ago.

Brain-cleansing music for brain-numbing times in a brain dead world
http://www.oenyaw.com

ReplyQuote
(@kcfenderfan)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

I had been having chest tightness. Went to the Dr, found out it was asthma, back after a 40 year haitus.

Get a new guitar for the heart stints? Wish I would have thought of that one when I had the colonoscopy a couple of years ago.

Take care of yourself Oenyaw. Asthma is nothing to play around with either.

Jim-Bone

ReplyQuote
 jimh
(@jimh)
Estimable Member

I don't think it's too late to throw out the guilt. I'm stll using my stents...Might as well, the price tag for that little adventure was north of $50,000... :shock:

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

Margaret, the age of heart patients is definitely getting younger according to one of the nurses I had the first time I was in the hospital. She had seen a 22 year-old that was in worse shape than me. I am trying to convince my kids to change their eating and exercise habits now. They are 22, 20 and 19. After the first time I changed my eating habits and have lost 35 pounds. It's not easy to do after eating bad for so long, but it's what I needed to do.
My kids are 12 and 16, and I have lost all control of their eating already. :( They seem to think that over 50% of their meals should be "out", and now that the local ice cream stand is open for the summer, they want ice cream about 4 or 5 days a week. Even if I won't pay for it, they'll use their own money. Looking around at the crowd at the ice cream stand, I notice more and more kids have not just an ice cream cone, but an ice cream AND a slushie beverage. :shock: It is becoming the social norm to eat this way. I can't seem to make my kids believe that this kind of eating will eventually catch up to them, even if not in weight, inside their arteries.

Over the past year+ I have overhauled my own diet and exercise habits. One thing I have become convinced of is that all the additives and preservatives in most of our foods make us crave more, more, more. I find that when I stick to basic foods and homemade recipes, I have a much easier time ignoring the snacks and processed foods. But when I indulge in convenience foods or junk foods, it makes me start wanting more. I'm a believer that "back to basics" is one of the keys in getting a handle on diet.

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 4