Clear all

Bass Question

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@sgincyqx)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Well, I'm looking to get into the bass guitar, so can anyone recommend a good set up for me? I need a bass, an amp, and possibly some cool effects but I've heard that most people don't bother with bass effects.

I know nothing about the bass, except that it's an octave lower than a guitar(I think) and will screw up my guitar amp easily, so I'm open for price ranges. Something not too expensive though please :oops:

P.S: Please no pictures of that nice Mustang bass Margaret has, I can't afford anything that cool and I'm afraid it will give me incurable GAS :lol:

Thanks and Rock On

Ewan McGregor: I said, "Eve, I want you to look after my wedding ring while I'm away," and she started to cry and I said, "Eve. Eve, I can't wear my ring or I won't get laid on the trip!"

(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Don't know that this'll help much, but when I was looking at bass guitars I decided to go with a cheapie - hell, I could always upgrade! So I bought a Freshman bass - think it was round about £130 (approx $250) - I don't even know what model it is, it was kind of a whim!

Couldn't be happier with it though - I also got a Roland Cube 30W bass amp, and I tried the bass through that amp in the shop. I was happy with the overall sound, and I still am. The Roland's a bit pricey though if you're not looking to spend that much. When money's a little less tight and the Mrs can be persuaded, I will up grade to a 5-string bass - I love the idea of that low B string, and playing a root D note on the bottom string.

One thing you should look at, though, (following Margaret's experience) is whether the long-scale or short-scale would suit you better. Try both before you decide. But a cheapish bass with a decent amp will give you a decent sound - and if you take to it, like I said, you can always upgrade....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@sgincyqx)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Vic, I can use all the help I can get :roll:

Rock On

Ewan McGregor: I said, "Eve, I want you to look after my wedding ring while I'm away," and she started to cry and I said, "Eve. Eve, I can't wear my ring or I won't get laid on the trip!"

ReplyQuote
(@sgincyqx)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Also, I notice this topic had to be moved. My apologies Mods. :oops:

Ethan

ReplyQuote
(@akflyingv)
Honorable Member

Check out rondo music for a good price on a bass, my teacher has one and it looks and plays real nice. He plays it through one of those roland amps also. To learn you should check out David's book, sounds great from everyones reviews.

ReplyQuote
(@sgincyqx)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Oh, I'm pretty sure I'll be getting David's book with or without a bass :lol:

It sounds excellent

Thanks and Rock On

Ethan

ReplyQuote
 vink
(@vink)
Prominent Member

For the amp, I got a behringer BX300 on clearance. It's pretty good for practice, it's loud enough maybe for a blues trio or jazz trio that's not too loud. The only bad thing about it is that it hums .. but I got it for like $90, it's not bad.

(Sorry, don't have an inexpensive bass to recommend. I started looking at those, but ended up liking a MIM Special Precision bass, figured I might as well get a good used bass if I am in that price range, and ended up buying a used Carvin for quite a bit less than the MIM bass ... )

--vink
"Life is either an adventure or nothing" -- Helen Keller

ReplyQuote