Notifications
Clear all

Rock School

25 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

Well, I think it's awesome that you get to play in front of all those people with your new band, and i wish you guys the best.

I guess when I think of a "rock school" I think of people that don't know how to play instruments and just want to look cool by playing in a band, so I'm glad that's not the case (well, not the case with you anyways). I can definitely relate to not being able to find people to jam with cuz everyone i know is either part of some musical scene (mostly either punk or metal) that i don't like or they can't really play... it's kind of sad that that's a common problem.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
 Kyle
(@kyle)
Reputable Member

That kid that is "sick" has a video somewhere where he is wanking and sucking, which is probably what he does in this movie too. Anyway, I have no respect for something like this. One of the first things that you have to learn before becoming dedicated to any instrument is that you will probably not enjoy job security and the amount of money that a white collar job will provide you with, and this school obviously does nothing to teach kids this first basic lesson. The upside is obviously that you will love what you are doing for a living, but the individual has to make that decision of whether they are willing to put up with bad money and an uncertain lifestyle for the reward of playing music. The way the kids talk in the video leads me to believe that these kids are being built up, and many of them will be tremendously dissapointed when they realize they don't have either the skill, dedication, potential, inate talent, marketing capabilites(especially marketing capabilities), or all of the above to make their dream a reality. Like that kid said "I wanna be a legend". Don't we all, but the ones that become legends are the ones that are first secure with the fact that they will probably never "make it" and make music that stimulates them, and don't worry about becoming famous. Hopefully, the public is stimulated by it as well.

As for the kid being only 10, that makes absoelutely no difference. It matters how long you have been playing, and more importantly how much you practice.

sorry for the rant. Just speakin my mind.

later.

Kyle

The meaning of life? I've never heard a simpler question! Music.

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

I'd say age is rather important. For someone that young to stick with something as challenging as guitar (and the younger you are, the harder it is to fret a regular sized guitar) is pretty impressive.

Nothin' wrong with wanting to be a legend, as long as one understands that in order for it to happen, they have to have a lot of dedication.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

There's a huge lesson to be learned from Rock School, and it's not obvious.

Playback magazine (the NAMM publication) profiles the founder of Rock School in the current issue. From their one-page article, he seems like an interesting guy.

His name's Dick Rumore, from Tampa FL. He was originally in a band called the Paragons, who did a lot of local stuff, a little touring, and a little recording. Then he met an accordian player named Angelo Guida at a gig, and Angelo had a music store he was going to sell. He agreed to sell it to Dick... the price isn't stated, but the down payment was $10K.

Dick didn't have the money, so he tried to raise it. He couldn't. He finally told Angelo he didn't have it all... and Angelo asked how much he had. Dick told him $500. Angelo agreed to take the $500, and take the rest in payments.

Trouble was, Dick didn't have $500. He didn't have anything. He pawned all of his own instruments to get the money, and took over the store, naming it Paragon Music in 1967.

In 1990 he cut a deal with Yamaha to start Rock School. They match up students with folks of similar ability... they encourage (but don't require) private lessons... after rehearsing 1 hour a week for 2 months, the assembled bands put on a concert.

I'll bet some of the kids have talent... and most don't. As a music teacher, I think anything that gets people into music is a good idea. As a realist, I know that Yamaha started it so they can sell Yamaha instruments. As a former music store owner, I know Dick got involved because musicians are customers... and anything you can do to build a relationship is worth money.

I'm going to NAMM in a couple weeks, and if I get to meet Dick there, I hope to talk to him - from what I've read, he's a guy committed to his ideas.

As far as music being a field where you don't have job security... well, as a musician you're probably going to be self-employed. You'll have exactly the same security as any other self-employed person: no guarantees, offset by limitless potential. You don't need to 'put up with' bad money... you need to resolve to make it better money, and figure out how to do that. The world will not beat a path to your door, whether you start a music career or a hot dog stand.

The biggest key to a music career, which isn't taught at rock school, music colleges, or anywhere else is this: nobody needs you. You need to figure out how to make them want you. Do that and you pay the bills; fail at doing that, and you'll bitch in forums about how the music business doesn't appreciate 'quality'.

I'm sure Dick had plenty of dark days between '67 and '90. I hope he sells a zillion videos... but if he doesn't, I'm pretty sure he'll keep figuring out ways to pay his bills.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

female canine

And nobody likes a female canine!

Great post Noteboat, takes a little of the grimness off of the idea of making music a career.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Gotta love the auto editing software provides. I see that besides the 'female canine' word, Mr. Rumore's name was helpfully changed every time I typed it... it's 'Richard' with a 'D' as in 'Rick'. :)

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
 Kyle
(@kyle)
Reputable Member

I sincerely hope I did not come across as a female canine, becuase it was not my intent. It just makes me sad to see kids that might quit music forever just becuase some guy told them they could have the world when it's not going to happen. Music is such a wonderful thing, and in my opinion its purpose is not to make you want to give up on something you love, which I fear is exactly what is going to happen to this guy's students.

The meaning of life? I've never heard a simpler question! Music.

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

I have pondered many a time about making that sacrifice (No money, etc.) because I know and understand there is a very small chance that I'll make it even if I do practice all day and put my life into it. Music is something to enjoy, not a "get rich scheme", and for those who think it is, I pity them. I love music, and making music (Even if it's a cover, it's still making music), and again, I know that there just as good a chance of being a professinal athete or whatever as there's a chance of being a sucessful musician... That's just my point of view. I'd like to have a decent paying part-time job, and have music as a side income/ entertainment for myself, and if I do get famous, kick ass! :)

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

:lol: Again, what a wonderful censor... :lol:

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Er, does this mean that we should cancel the GN Boot Camp?

There are lots of guitarists playing in their bedrooms or basements - alone. It's not easy to get together with another guitarist, bassist, and drummer and make any musical sense.

I've played the Jack Black role in the past (teaching kids music, even though I'm not a teacher - no stage diving), and at least Richard has musical qualifications. I say, let the kids play and learn!

-Laz

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2