Clear all

Rock'n'Roll - the Devil's Music....

1 Posts
1 Users
0 Likes
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I don't want to cause a real s**tstorm with this one....I know a lot of good people on this site who have deep religious convictions.... but I'd just like to quote a few soundbites from our new Pope.....

ON WOMEN....."Ban on Women priests is necessary to safeguard the unity of the Church and guide the faithful"

ON MUSIC....."Rock music is a vehicle of anti-religion and the expression of basic passions"

ON GAYS....."Homosexuality is an intrinsic moral evil. Gay's human rights can be legtimately limited"

ON FAITHS..."Anglicanism and Protestantism are not proper Churches. Other Religions are deficient."

Let's take the second one first....so because I like, say, All Right Now or Paranoid I'm going to go to hell.........how out-dated is that attitude?

Then the third one....I have a gay step-son (who is the first gay man I've ever knowingly met...)....there are hundreds of gay rock stars, some I like and admire, some I can't stand....probably in a similar proportion to the rest of the human race.....

The first and fourth ones I'm not even going to get into.....my view is "Live and let live"......

But for the leader of one of the largest churches in the world to come out with what I can only think of as bigoted bulls**t sickens me....he's alienated half the planet with his quote about women, and possibly the other half with his quote on music.....

I really do not see why someone can't be a good Christian and play rock music.....what the hell does one have to do with the other....I used to play the melody to "Lord of the Dance" on harmonica in a Catholic church when I was 18-19, they called it a "Progressive folk mass" and it was fun...I wasn't considered good enough to play guitar.....

I stopped going to church soon after that, when my grandparents died... already lost my dad, just totally gave up believing....so if you want to know where I'm coming from, it's from the viewpoint of a (VERY!!!!) lapsed Roman Catholic......

I know this isn't really about guitars....apart from the rock music quote... but I'd really like to hear other people's opinion's .....

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)