!!SAVE METALLICA!!

58 Posts
24 Users
0 Likes
15.4 K Views
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

I agree with you to a point undercat, not sure If I agree with the way you said it. Lets keep it friendly, I think that we have been doing so thus far.

I agree.

The only thing I can say is that music changes just like people's lives change. I really liked Metallica's older stuff. When I want to listen to that “type” of music, I listen to the older Metallica. That's just me. But, you have to realize that the band chose its OWN path. Yea, they changed a player or two BUT, they are still playing what THEY want to play. Like undercat said, If you don't like it, listen to something else…..and I'll add, face the facts….it is what it is.

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

The "Opinions and Polls" Area is the only place where I reserve my right not to be nice. :twisted:

But seriously, sorry for getting mean.

I understand people who want to talk about how good or bad music is, but it strikes me as so ridiculous that someone would start a petition to make them change it, just because it didn't meet with their tastes.

Put yourself in the band's shoes for 2 seconds and you'll realize how crazy these people must seem. Can you imagine being in a band, having it take off, and then having fans start petitioning for you to drop one of your members? The thought of it makes me laugh. Hysterically.

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@minus_human)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Metallica's recent albums suck? How many copies did your most recent album sell?

That's what I thought.

There's nothing more pathetic than some whiner going off about how bad an album was, that it was "unlistenable"... If you don't like it, you don't have to buy it. That's capitalism, baby. Get the fark over it.

I'm not done yet.

1. Online petitions are useless. Face the fact that no online petition has ever accomplished anything meaningful. A complete waste of your energy.

2. Stand back for 2 seconds and realize you're just picking a scapegoat. You should ask James to step down, after all, he's a huge part of the creative direction of the band. Come on.

If you don't like the band anymore, listen to someone you do like. This is where Metallica's music is now, you don't have to like it, but everyone else would appreciate it if you would shut up about it

You know this is a Opinions and Polls Forum and you have the right to your opinion. You make a very good point saying There's nothing more pathetic than some whiner going off about how bad an album was, that it was "unlistenable"... If you don't like it, you don't have to buy it. That's capitalism, baby. Get the fark over it. Except I don't recall whining about their albums anywhere if i did please point it out. Online petitions are useless ? that's a matter of opinion YOUR opinion.

I'm picking a scapeGoat ? i made it perfectly clear that my reason for signing that petition and allot of other people has nothing to do with the ability of Bob Rock.
If you don't like the band anymore, listen to someone you do like. This is where Metallica's music is now, you don't have to like it, but everyone else would appreciate it if you would shut up about it

Did i say i didn't like the band i don;t think so again if i did please point it out, and Shut up ?? see your follow up post about this being an Opinions and Polls forum. nough said.

Minus Human

And all the things you said to me
I need your arms to welcome me
But a cold stone's all I see

Let my heart go

ReplyQuote
(@fleaaaaaa)
Prominent Member

I dont think the reason Bob Rock's bands failed were due to his lack of songwriting skills, but we can't prove that either way. However what we can be sure is he has a fair idea about how commercial songs work by now being a producer for oh so many years, so I doubt thats the problem. The black album, load and reload were all in my mind sucessful albums though I can't say I liked St Anger, but it really is up to metallica what they do with their band.

However, would I be interested in seeing metallica work with a different producer? Definately, but if they feel Bob Rock is the producer that works for them, then he is.

together we stand, divided we fall..........

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Online petitions are useless ? that's a matter of opinion YOUR opinion..

I would say it is pretty close to a fact. But I'm willing to change my opinion if you can point me to a online petition that caused some major stuff to happen. All petitions I know have always resulted in absolutely nothing but a sense of having tried your best.

And my personal opinion about such issues: if you don't like a band, pick up your guitar and play what you like. Noone should force you to like their taste, and you should force noone to like your taste. And by looking at the sales, many do like the new Metallica. Would kinda make you the party-pooper for a few million people...

ReplyQuote
(@tucker)
Estimable Member

Online petitions have been unsuccessful in:

- Closing down Maddox
- Bringing down any sort of corporation for whatever reason
- Freeing prisoners
- Bringing back characters in TV shows
- Reforming At The Drive-In
- General.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Whether you like it or not, Metallica is never going to play the type of music they played in the 80's again for many reasons.

1)Boring. Yep, boring. You can only play power chords so long. Anybody who is a real musician wants to grow. The Beatles didn't sound anything like 1964 in 1969. The Who did not sound like 1967 in 1980. And if Kurt Cobain was still alive, I promise you Nirvana would not sound like they did in 1991.

2)Age. They are not 18 years old anymore. So, they don't act like they are 18, and they don't play music like they are 18. People get older you know. Stick around and you'll see. And you will not be into the same music you are now when you are 40. Sure, you'll always love early Metallica, but you'll like quite different stuff too. It is the normal aging process.

3)Advice. From what I know of Metallica (which isn't a whole lot), these guys do what they want, when they want, how they want. They are pretty much in the position of calling all the shots and have been for over 20 years. They may not be 100% happy with the albums they are putting out, but they are happy enough to release them. They have all the fame and money they need. They are probably at the point where they play music for personal satisfaction. And now you know what they like. I seriously doubt they would take your petition serious for 2 seconds. They probably get dozens of letters like that everyday. I know what I would do with it. File 13.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

ReplyQuote
(@racer-y)
Estimable Member

I saw Metallica open up for ozzy. They were doing Master of puppets...
I think that they peaked at point. I think if Cliff Burton was still alive, you see a completely different Metallica... But that's just me.

uhhh if they were to bother to read the online petition and if they were to follow it, what then? What if the next guy was incompetent?
LOL what if the next guy got them to play... Country?

Hmmm. I could care less for metallica but I think I might teach my kid to play For Whom the Bell Tolls on the violin

Let's see we have Van Hasbeen touring...Mostly Screwed is tentative...
Think we'll see a WhiteSnake reunion tour - with ALL the members?

As far as this thread goes, I agree with guy with the pretty wife. It's
kind of a waste a time.

I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed, but when
you're a 22lb sledge, do you really have to be?

ReplyQuote
(@hueseph)
Noble Member

As far as Metallica selling out. Well in my opinion they have in that they have gone from writing honest music to crowd pleasing. They've gone from writing for themselves to writing what will bring in the most return. Metallica could go on to write country for all I care so long as they do it with conviction. What I've heard from them lately seems half hearted. I just think when you start using the cookie cutter, it's time to rethink your direction. On the other hand if making money is what's in their heart, all the power to them. I choose not to listen and that's the best I can do.

https://soundcloud.com/hue-nery/hue-audio-sampler

ReplyQuote
(@tucker)
Estimable Member

If Cliff Burton had survived I think they would have fired him by now. They treated Jason Newstead like crap, they don't deserve a bass player, least of all the little monkey man they have now.

ReplyQuote
(@minus_human)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

If Cliff Burton had survived I think they would have fired him by now. They treated Jason Newstead like crap, they don't deserve a bass player, least of all the little monkey man they have now.

:shock: :shock: Cliff burton fired !! that would never have happened. Gotta be honest with you here i REALY liked Jason and was sad to see him go. I think a alot of people didn't give him the credit he deserved cause they were so hooked on Cliff.

When i first saw Rob perform with them i was not convinced this is the guy for metallica ( i'm still 50/50 ) to be honest. But atleast hes a laid back cool guy, what more can you ask for?

To get back to Jason, he was a perfect fit for the band they were SOLID when he was around, and i do miss him on backing vocals

Minus Human

And all the things you said to me
I need your arms to welcome me
But a cold stone's all I see

Let my heart go

ReplyQuote
(@psychonik)
Reputable Member

some people need to read before they post.. but thats not my problem...

I wasn't huge on ST anger.. but not because of the music.. because of hetfeild's inability to do what he did before like he used to. His voice is going, understandably. hes like 50.

as for them playing as matured musicians... well the lyrics are there but they have definately regressed musically. they tune to an open chord and screw with rythm. not quite mucal to me, but again it's they're opinion.
Justice had to be their musical peak.

online petitions havent fixed anything as far as I know. I never sign them, it could be for something totally different than what it was originally.

as for newstead... as a person i wasnt the biggest fan of him... but he IS a solid bassist and a solid backing vocalist... really added texture to the music.

No need to make fun of the new bassist... he is amazing, although i agree with him not quite fitting in.

cliff burton was really good too.. i wasnt into metallica until about 6 years ago, so i really didn't know, ive never heard/seen anything live from him.

i just find their new music sounds lazy... the lyrics ARE very solid .. not so much the vox, though.

just my opinion

ReplyQuote
(@lord_ariez)
Reputable Member

Rob is great and he definatly doesn't fit in, online polls solve nothing, nobody can blame anyone for the creative process of any of thier albums, and no Metallica would never had fired cliff burton!

I'm picking a scapeGoat ? i made it perfectly clear that my reason for signing that petition and allot of other people has nothing to do with the ability of Bob Rock.

Isn't the whole point of this petition that Bob Rock is at fault for what you would call "crap'? Why would you sign this at all then? Why not make your own rediculous online petition to tell a band you don't like them anymore. By signing this you, and all the 'other poeple', are picking a scapegoat. Bob Rock has made an impact on the band, yes, but who's to say whether it's a good or bad one? Who's to say that they need to change anything? James, Kurt, Lars and Rob, that's who.
they don't deserve a bass player, least of all the little monkey man they have now.

Someone sounds a little jealous? :wink:

That's ok, So am I... I want a million dollars to join too

'You and I in a little toy shop, bought a bag of balloons with the money we got"

feel free to talk with me on msn at [email protected]..... no icq anymore

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

As for selling out: They're entertainers for heaven's sake. A comedian writes jokes he thinks people will like, a cook will make meals he thinks others will like and bands make music they think others will like. It's called 'a job'.

Last time I saw a live registration of a metallica concert the audiance were having a great time. So the fans work hard to earn money to buy an ourtrageously expensive ticket, the bands make music which they hope the fans will like, and everyone has a ball. Not my taste, so I go to other bands. Can't see the problem with this 'selling out' stuff.

And before anyone starts about emotion and art and whatnot: No, I don't need that stuff around me 24/7. And in my opinion there is nothing wrong with just rocking out and building a party without deep lyrics and heartfelt emotion all over the place.

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 4