Notifications
Clear all

Searching with the lights shut down...

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@mr-tinkertrain)
Topic starter  

The last 3 years I have been teaching my beloved instrument to people.
So, I decided to look up for for books and methods, to make my students' life easier!
I've always believed that living in a big city (or coutry even better) gives you a great amount of opportunities. Lately, I realized that there are no guitar methods translated in greek!
All the books are from the UK or USA! Written in english! how are my 9 or 12 year-old students going to read them, when they can barely use their own language?

Anyway I've spent some time searching within the web for books but the only thing I could see was a cover of a book and a briefing of what's in it.

What I am looking for, is books for beginners, intermediate and advanced students.
I think I've spent way too many hours thinking and writting down my own excercises and licks! It's a great personal work I've made which made me happy, but still cannot meet my demands for teaching!
I would be greatful for some suggestions!

-The lack of knowledge is accepted when there is also lack of means.
Sadly, I know there are hundreds of diamond-books I don't have the chance to read...

"I never wanted to go, always wanted to stay.
'Cause the person I am, are the parts that I play...."

(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

greetings. I feel your trouble.
yours is a good question to ask.
I will search around with my resources and see what I can find.
I will look around my community as well.
you could try this link. an experience filled forum.

http://www.guitarseminars.com

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

Great question -- but honestly, there's very little that the student needs to be able to read in most method books.

What's important in method books, for those with a teacher, is the quality and order of the exercises.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

I would agree with King, but I am not a teacher I'm a student. We don't work out of any method books, the teacher basically decides the course of action based on each students skills/desires.

My lessons involve going over exercises for the first half of the lesson and then a song that I want to learn for the other half. It seems to work well I've had a couple teachers now and I enjoy this method the best.

I am not learning to read music (OK so I'm old and lazy) but even if I were I don't see where language would be an issue unless we each spoke a different language. He writes everything on tab paper and I work off of that.

Sounds like you just want pre-constructed lessons to use for your students. Since it seems like you are able to read/write in english why don't you just get a few books and build your own lessons based on the progressions in the books, then the students wouldn't need to know English or any other non-native language.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@mr-tinkertrain)
Topic starter  

ok, I'll make it a bit more..specific.
There are many kinds of students. Here are some usual cases!
-the ones who want to learn eveyrthing all the way from the start (including reading score ofcourse)
-the ones who want to learn to play some chords, a few songs and that's it. Not bothering for a theoritical approach.
-the ones (young ones) their parents send to spend an hour outside their home (some sort of baby-sitting). sounds funny? welcome to Greece.

SO. I don't want to pre-construct my lessons. On the contrary I try to avoid that. Every student requires a completely unique approach and lesson. I only want the right material to work on.

Imagine yourself (not to mention a young child) at home trying to do your "homework" from a book that has some notes or tabs between chineese letters. It wouldn't be that attractive...

Any kind of suggestion is still welcome!

"I never wanted to go, always wanted to stay.
'Cause the person I am, are the parts that I play...."

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Ever thought of writing your own?

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote