Clear all

Short Scale Guitars

8 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I was wondering how short scale guitars like the Jaguar or Mustang work. Are the frets in tune with themselves? If yes, how so? What's the purpose behind the shorter scale? Are there any other 24" scale guitars out there? The Jaguar and Mustang are the only ones I know.

(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

It's not just the length of the sting that determines pitch (longer=lower), it's also gauge of the string (thicker=lower) and tension (looser=lower) - so a short scale is in tune because you use a different tension or gauge, and the frets are all in tune because it's not the actual distance between them that's important, it's the ratio. Half the distance is twice the pitch, no matter what the original distance.

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

There are some here : http://www.rondomusic.net/electricguitar.html

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Another question. Not sure if this will get answered or not but: I don't see a truss rod cover on the Mustang, does that mean it doesn't have a truss rod?

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

I believe the truss rod access is at the neck joint, as it is with the Mustang bass. Don't plan on changing string gauge too often.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

The frets are placed differently, in accordance with the scale length. There is a formula to calculate the fret layout, which is a value related to the distance between the last fret and the bridge

http://www.liutaiomottola.com/formulae/fret.htm

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

My favorite quote about scale length is from a guy who goes by the handle of Light. He's a pretty well known luthier, as is his dad.

"Actually, Martin scales are 25.4 inches (long) and 24.9 Inches (short), and the Gibson sclae length is actually 24.65 inches.

Scale length is one of those frequently overlooked things when people buy guitars. It has a major impact on the shape of the sound, and also on the feel of the guitar. A longer scale length requires greater tension to reach pitch, so they are correspondingly harder to play. Similarly, a short scale guitar requires less tension to reach pitch, and so they are easier to play.

The thing which always surprises me, however, is just how much of an impact on sound the scale length has. My father describes it like this; when you play a chord, a short scale guitar sounds like a choir singing, and a long scale guitar sounds like a group of soloists singing together. They are both cool, but quite different. Depending on what kind of music you play, and the sound you are after, each has its place."

I've found this to be pretty much dead on from my experience.

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@bobblehat)
Reputable Member

Is that why barre chords at the 12th fret and above on my SG still sound quite warm and creamy compared to my Les Paul?

I never new that.Learn something new everyday!

Thank You

My Band: http://www.myspace.com/thelanterns2010
playing whilst drunk is only permitted if all band members are in a similar state!

ReplyQuote