Single coils/Humbuckers

11 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@liontable)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hi guys!

I'm thinking about changing the pickups in my guitar. I play on a Fender American Standard Stratocaster, and I was thinking about replacing my bottom pickup (single coil) with a humbucker. I already have an unbelievable sustain, so what should I expect from it if I would change it, and what would my options be?

I absolutely love my guitar, it plays like a dream. I seem to be missing something, however, when I try to play some of the rougher music. Clean and light distortion sounds amazing, but whenever I try to play some Iron Maiden, Van Halen or AC/DC (and the likes) I often find myself missing some punch. It gets loud, and I can get a lot of distortion, but that's it. I feel like there's not really a lot of power behind it.

I play using an Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff and a Line 6 Flextone III. I'm not sure how it'd turn out, so that's why I'm asking here. What can I reasonably expect, or what might be the issue if this isn't it? Thanks for the help!

(@trguitar)
Famed Member

You could get a railed humbucker like a Seymour Duncan Hot Rail. It will fit the single coil slot and in my opinion sound very close to a full sized humbucker. I have one at the bridge position of my MIM Strat. I have the GFS version at the bridge of my SX Strat copy. It has a tad bit more noise than the Duncan but otherwise just as good. Oh, $25 as opposed to $80 for the Duncan. For a USA Strat though, I would spend the money on the brand name pickup. Oh, I think it would turn out just fine but thats my preference. I don't use single coils for distorted guitar. I'm all humbucker.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/seymour-duncan-shr-1-hot-rails-stacked-single-coil-pickup

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKNkLa3T2Q4
Here is a quick sample of one I found on youtube

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

www.ubertar.com

Tell Paul that Tony in Australia put you on to him.

Once you get off of single-output pickups you'll never return...

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Did the same thing as TR put the Duncan Hotrail in the bridge pickup, beefed it up noticably.

I would recommend that as an option.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

I had a SD HBJr in a strat I used to have. It was a singlecoil size HB. Not a bad choice at all. Not as harry as a true HB pickup, but had a nice chunky sound to it.

Paul B

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

Once you get off of single-output pickups you'll never return...Cat

Whaddya think...start a new thread on this subject???

Cat

ReplyQuote
(@notes_norton)
Noble Member

My Parker DF has a Duncan coil tapping SC/HB in the bridge position. So I can play either one.

The SC sounds cleaner and has more pick/dynamic response, the HB is hotter and has a nastier tone. I use them both depending on the song and what I want it to sound like.

You might consider a SC/HB option, then you can have it both ways.

Insights and insights by Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com Add-on Styles for Band-in-a-Box and Microsoft SongSmith

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

HotRails have coil splitting capabilities! You can install a push pull switch to do this.

ReplyQuote
(@liontable)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the recommendations! I decided to follow your advice and ordered a Seymour Duncan Hot Rail. The people at the store will install it. I'm going to try without the coil-splitting for the time being, considering I never use my bridge pickup for anything besides the stuff too heavy to play on the others. They told me I could always install the switch later on if I still wanted it.

Looking forward to see how it'll turn out, and more importantly, hear it. Also, I was quite surprised at the playability of those Parker guitars, Norton. I'd never tried one until I saw your posts, and I have to say they seem absolutely excellent from the ones I've played.

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I think your gonna like it! Let us know.

Oh! What to expect?

Here is my Strat with the actual Duncan. This is an old one, a 1992 MIM Strat and I put the Duncan in in short order so it too is a 1992 or 1993 vintage pickup.

Now this is my custom SX from Rondo that I totally rebuilt. Only things origional are the neck, body, pick guard, jack plate (not the jack though, thats new) string trees and the bolts and plate that hold the neck on. Well, I did reuse some of the wire. This pickup is the GFS version that cost like $25. Very close in quality. Grover tuners and a high quality steel block trem. No pot metal here. The knobs are a recent addition (last night). I think they really pop. I got them as leftovers from a project for my son. You'll have to see the soon to come "Franken Bass" thread for my sons 8 string.

And a group shot!

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

HotRails have coil splitting capabilities! You can install a push pull switch to do this.

Please explain!!! You can PM it to me...this thread doesn't seem wanna know about it!

Cheers!

Cat

ReplyQuote