Clear all

Soft Machine

10 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@blueline)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I'm starting to crawl though some of my older music. Not sure if many of you remember or even heard of this band. They were not huge here in the states and had a limited underground following. (based on what I remember) But, had a pretty big influence on progressive music. Had some notable people come in and out of the band at times...(The Police- Andy Summers) As a kid, at the time, I really never got into them, the music was very psychedelic almost like a jazz fusion kinda thing going on. Was too sophistcated (code word for over my head) because I was still too young to understand that kind of music. Thanks to my friend's older brothers, we got turned on to some pretty cool stuff when we were kids.

ANyways. may not be everyone's cup of tea, but they had some pretty decent songs. Chill out music if you will. Here's the Wiki on them Soft Machine

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

(@jeffster1)
Reputable Member

Wow I had actually completely forgot about these guys. Good find.

Nice to see a prog fan around here too, I noticed the Porcupine Tree album cover immediately ;)

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

I remember Soft Machine. like Tangerine Dream, I found their music to be very hit or miss, but def liked some of it. AFA fusion goes, my fave has always been Jeff Beck ('Wired' and 'Blow by Blow') followed by Return to Forever (esp 'Romatic Warrior')

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Was too sophistcated (code word for over my head) because I was still too young to understand that kind of music.

If by "sophisticated" you mean "bad" then yes, that's right.
:twisted:

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Was too sophistcated (code word for over my head) because I was still too young to understand that kind of music.

If by "sophisticated" you mean "bad" then yes, that's right.
:twisted:

:lol: :lol: :lol: Yeah, like gnease said, they were hit or miss. You'd have to get through 7 songs before you found a good'n. Alot it was experimental. I guess you go through a bunch of clunkers before you find that right mix...No? :lol:

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

They used to get played quite a lot on "progressive" rock shows back in the 70's, but I can't say they made much of an impression on me - I don't think I could name one song of theirs off the top of my head. I did like Robert Wyatt's solo stuff though....check out his excellent version of Elvis Costello's Shipbuilding and a great version of I'm A Believer

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

Another group that seems to have vaporized over time is Spirit.
Specifically, the album The 12 Dreams of Dr. Sardonicus . . .
Or was I the only fan?

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Hmmm, you had the ol' synapses firing away there KR2! But yes, I do remember them. Never got into them, never really listened enough to make an opinion tho!

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

Don't fret.
Rock groups come, rock groups go.
And we are all but Dust in the Wind.

(philosophibabbly) KR2

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@rgalvez)
Prominent Member

I am a big fan of Kevin Ayers and Robert Wyatt..what a couple! Kevin has melody in his veins and this gentle voice and Wyatt , no matter he's grumpy and completely lefty, he still has this psychedelic and surreal muse.
I think their solo albums are really good to investigate.
Here is a clip from early Kevin (Vic post showed Wyatt videos). it's one of his best songs. Check out a very young Mike Oldfield playing bass.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUvG5-UB7_0

ReplyQuote