Skip to content
Some Bands You're A...

Notifications
Clear all

Some Bands You're Afraid to Admit Your Into...

97 Posts
33 Users
0 Likes
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Hmmm, maybe some of the 70's and 80's funk. ...and I'm also finding that I like Parliament and Funkadelic. Well, now my secret is out.

Too cool. I remember when they came out. At least when I became aware of them in the 70s. George Clinton...isn't it??? They had a great live show thing going on. People walking around on stilts (on stage) and dressed in outrageous outfits. Back then, it was one of the coolest things but would pale in comparison to some of today's live productions.

Yeah man, some of those groups had enough people on stage to start football teams....offense AND defense. Running and dancing around all over the place, instruments twirling when not in use, BRIGHT costumes, big shoes and big hair. Good times.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@phillyblues)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Yeh, some of that psychodelic funk was really cool. Been awhile since anyone's come out with anything really comparable, although I admit I really liked that song "Groove is in the Heart" by Dee-Lite, not that its comparable, but it kind of fell into that funk category a little. If I remember correctly, they even got Bootsy Collins to make a cameo in the video.

ReplyQuote
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

Too cool. I remember when they came out. At least when I became aware of them in the 70s. George Clinton...isn't it??? They had a great live show thing going on. People walking around on stilts (on stage) and dressed in outrageous outfits. Back then, it was one of the coolest things but would pale in comparison to some of today's live productions.

You remember the TV commercials back about 10 years ago for the album "Pure Funk" with the guy with a huge afro dancing on the cover? That album might be in my library and I might actually listen to it quite often. Actually, it's really good, "Brick House", "Pick up the Pieces", "Car Wash" (dogbite), "Shaft" and Parliament's "Flashlight". It even has "Kung Fu Fighting"!

Bands I don't like to admit to liking would probably be some of 80's "hair" metal that I grew up listening to and still do occasionally. Stuff like Cinderella, Tesla and Ratt. I also admit to liking at least some of Prince's music.

Bass player for Undercover

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

You remember the TV commercials back about 10 years ago for the album "Pure Funk" with the guy with a huge afro dancing on the cover? That album might be in my library and I might actually listen to it quite often. Actually, it's really good, "Brick House", "Pick up the Pieces", "Car Wash" (dogbite), "Shaft" and Parliament's "Flashlight". It even has "Kung Fu Fighting"!

Bands I don't like to admit to liking would probably be some of 80's "hair" metal that I grew up listening to and still do occasionally. Stuff like Cinderella, Tesla and Ratt. I also admit to liking at least some of Prince's music.

Ah, you MUST have been listening to me playing in my living room this week. I decided to learn how to play Tesla's version of "Signs". (originally recored by the Five Man Electric Band"..way back when me thinks) That song is fun to play!!

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Well, this isn't a band, but it's something that I think is one of the most beautiful musical arrangements I've ever heard. I got tuened on to it from the movie Hannibal, staring Anthony Hopkins. It's called Vide Cor Meum. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaXGeqPfeeQ

Oh, and if this doesn't qualify me as having, um, eclectic(?) musical tastes, I don't know what will.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@oenyaw)
Reputable Member

I've seen the George Clinton P-Funk All Stars a couple of times. Always a great show. There are so many people that they play for 3-4 hours and never stop.

Ricochet: I saw Rose Royce a couple of years ago. 3 singers and a tape of the music. But they were actually singing!

While were on this subject, a couple of other bands not to miss live.
KC and the Sunshine Band. Incredible show, everyone on stage was worth watching.
Earth, Wind and Fire. Really good, but the guitar player was new and from Russia and seemed a bit overwhelmed
The O'Jays. OUTSTANDING!!! You wouldn't believe these old guys until you see them. Can't wait to be able to see them again.

Brain-cleansing music for brain-numbing times in a brain dead world
http://www.oenyaw.com

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

the O jays were huge back in the mid 70's. I was going to art school in Kansas City and caught them by chance once. blew me away...and I wa a post hippie at the time. total convert.
my memory does not serve me well now...did they do 'Money Money Money' or 'For the Love of Money"? or 'Rock the Boat"?

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

Think it was Rock the Boat. Then again, I can't remember what I had for diner last night. So you have to keep that ..wait...what was I saying?

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

Think it was Rock the Boat. Then again, I can't remember what I had for diner last night. So you have to keep that ..wait...what was I saying?

I forgot to eat.

ReplyQuote
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

the O jays were huge back in the mid 70's...did they do 'Money Money Money' or 'For the Love of Money"?
You got it, For the Love of Money.
But their piece de resistance was The Backstabbers:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVC2j_Kdw8c
:) :) :)

Don

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

Hmmm, maybe some of the 70's and 80's funk. ...and I'm also finding that I like Parliament and Funkadelic. Well, now my secret is out.

You guys must be a few years older than me (maybe 5 to 10 years) - I'm in my early 40's and when these bands were really big I was in grade school. At that time I was big into Rush, Yes, Zeppelin, Zappa, the Beatles, etc.

It's some form of synchronicity or maybe I'm just looking out for it now that I've started to take an interest in this music but just recently the local PBS station had a documentary on Funkadelic and Parliament. It was part of the Independent Lens series and showed everything from the beginnings as a doo-wop group in the early 60's. It was called One Nation Under a Groove - http://www.pbs.org/independentlens/parliamentfunkadelic/

If any of the similar bands you guys have mentioned show up locally I'll look into going. Thanks.

Edit - fixed url to actually be a proper link

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

You guys must be a few years older than me (maybe 5 to 10 years) - I'm in my early 40's and when these bands were really big I was in grade school. At that time I was big into Rush, Yes, Zeppelin, Zappa, the Beatles, etc.

It's some form of synchronicity or maybe I'm just looking out for it now that I've started to take an interest in this music but just recently the local PBS station had a documentary on Funkadelic and Parliament. It was part of the Independent Lens series and showed everything from the beginnings as a doo-wop group in the early 60's. It was called One Nation Under a Groove - http://www.pbs.org/independentlens/parliamentfunkadelic/

If any of the similar bands you guys have mentioned show up locally I'll look into going. Thanks.

I'm 45 in June. And yes, same is true for me. Back then all I listened to was Zeppelin, Zappa, Queen, etc... Listening to those "other" bands was taboo. And as the title of this thread states, we were afraid to admit we like their music. Thinking back to that time brings up alot of cool memories. Our modus operandi was to sneak into my friend's big brother's room and listen to his LPs.

What we listened to was largely based on the how cool the album cover looked. If we were not familiar with the band, the cover HAD to be cool for us to lend our valuable 10 yr old ears to it and invest in the time. And then, there on top his dresser was a black album, with a beam leading into a prism and a rainbow coming out of the other side. My friend read the words Dark Side of the Moon to me. We both looked at each other and without saying a word, rushed to the turntable. From the first note, I was hooked.

ReplyQuote
(@phillyblues)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I'm 40 and will also admit that the lure of a cool album cover was what drew me to the first band I was really into at a young age. I don't remember exact age but I must have been in 4th or 5th grade and, for me, it was the cover of KISS' Destoyer album...I'd never heard of them before then, but just thought it was the coolest thing ever, bought the album, and was hooked...I thought Ace Frehley was god at one point.

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I'm 45 in June. And yes, same is true for me. Back then all I listened to was Zeppelin, Zappa, Queen, etc... Listening to those "other" bands was taboo. And as the title of this thread states, we were afraid to admit we like their music. Thinking back to that time brings up alot of cool memories. Our modus operandi was to sneak into my friend's big brother's room and listen to his LPs.

What we listened to was largely based on the how cool the album cover looked. If we were not familiar with the band, the cover HAD to be cool for us to lend our valuable 10 yr old ears to it and invest in the time. And then, there on top his dresser was a black album, with a beam leading into a prism and a rainbow coming out of the other side. My friend read the words Dark Side of the Moon to me. We both looked at each other and without saying a word, rushed to the turntable. From the first note, I was hooked.

now that is a cool story 8) 8)

ReplyQuote
(@diceman)
Reputable Member

the O jays were huge back in the mid 70's. I was going to art school in Kansas City and caught them by chance once. blew me away...and I wa a post hippie at the time. total convert.
my memory does not serve me well now...did they do 'Money Money Money' or 'For the Love of Money"? or 'Rock the Boat"?
"Rock the Boat" was done by the Hues Corporation .

The O'Jays also did "Love Train ."

" People all over the world .. join hands ... start a love train .. love train ! "

If I claim to be a wise man , it surely means that I don't know .

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 7