Clear all

Squier Stagemaster

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@kcfenderfan)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Does anyone have any experience with the Squier Stagemaster? (Or know someone that does?) I have a chance to buy one fairly inexpensively, but wanted to know a little more about them. I believe that it's a 2000 Chinese model with dual humbuckers and a Floyd Rose bridge.

Thanks,
Jim-Bone

(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

I played one last year. Sounded pretty good, played nicely. The only thing I didnt like was the Floyd system. It's hard to explain but something about it made me very nervous, kinda like the Ibby 3xx RG series. It just seemed like corners were cut there and personally I'd rather have a fixed bridge then a mediocre floyd one. Is the one you're after NOS or used? If it's used you *must* check it out in person to make sure the bridge is in order. I've seen guitars with budget-floyds that were downright untunable after less then a year due to metal fatigue. And that's not a joke.

ReplyQuote
(@kcfenderfan)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the response, Arjen! I did get a chance to play it after I posted and I liked it. The bridge humbucker doesn't work, but it sounded good on the neck pickup. The FR bridge seemed intact but it was minus the trem bar, though I should be able to find one fairly easily.

Can you tell me more about what I should be looking for on the bridge to ensure it's okay?

Thanks,
Jim-Bone

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I would try and find a trem bar just to make sure the thing stays in tune after a "bend". I had an Ibanez for a while with the 'rose style bridge and the locking nuts and it still would not stay in tune. Kind of defeats the purpose.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@kcfenderfan)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Roy, I will do that. BTW, I hope you're feeling better.

Jim-Bone

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

I had a stagemaster for a short while and it seemed like a decent axe. The floyd system... I don't know if a cheap Floyd system affect tuning stability more than sustain and ease of adjustment. I mean, if it is a double-locking system, how does the quality of the metal in the bridge affect the tuning of the strings? I guess one impact could be the strength of the micro-tuners...?

If you get a good deal (less than $150?) I'd go for it.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote