Clear all

Steve Vai

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@nexion)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

A friend of mine recently(a month or two ago) turned me on to Steve Vai. He showed me the G3 in Tokyo with John Petrucci, Steve Vai, and Joe Satriani and I was amazed. I always loved Joe Satriani and had heard of Vai but never really listended to him. Ever since then I have been collecting his albums and I also purchased the G3 in Denver with Vai, Satriani, and Yngwie Malmsteen. His music just flows perfectly. I was just wondering how many of you appreciate Steve Vai, I know he has a cult-like fanbase.

P.S. I have also been was impressed by John Petrucci and bought two Dream Theater CDs: Octavarium and Scenes From A Memory. I am also going to a Dream Theater concert next month.

P.S.S. Yngwie Malmsteen has to be the funniest guitarists around. He is awesome!

"That’s what takes place when a song is written: You see something that isn’t there. Then you use your instrument to find it."
- John Frusciante

(@streetlethal)
Eminent Member

A friend of mine recently(a month or two ago) turned me on to Steve Vai. He showed me the G3 in Tokyo with John Petrucci, Steve Vai, and Joe Satriani and I was amazed. I always loved Joe Satriani and had heard of Vai but never really listended to him. Ever since then I have been collecting his albums and I also purchased the G3 in Denver with Vai, Satriani, and Yngwie Malmsteen. His music just flows perfectly. I was just wondering how many of you appreciate Steve Vai, I know he has a cult-like fanbase.

P.S. I have also been was impressed by John Petrucci and bought two Dream Theater CDs: Octavarium and Scenes From A Memory. I am also going to a Dream Theater concert next month.

P.S.S. Yngwie Malmsteen has to be the funniest guitarists around. He is awesome!

Uh oh.....lol

Matt

ReplyQuote
(@johnin510)
Trusted Member

I would also recommend buying Dream Theater's "Images and Words" . Also Awake and Falling into Infinity. These are the "old school" Petrucci jams....INSANE!!
For more raw Petrucci, get Liquid Tension Experiment.......awesome stuff

Going to see DT on March 11th in San Francisco.......

ReplyQuote
(@johnin510)
Trusted Member

No doubt that Vai is a great guitar player. To me he reminds me of the circus, the greatest show on earth, but I do find most of his work pretty boring. Attitude Song and the "Passion and Warfare" album are his best works IMO. His old Alcatrazz stuff is good as well.

I will take Petrucci anyday as a songwriter.

John in the 510

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

"I'm the Hell Out of Here" is a decent song from the Clapton Crossroads DVD. but other than that, he's not my thing. i wish my fingers could move that fast though. and that my guitar could stay in tune if i used my tremolo as much as he does.

he does seem to have an ear for music that flows well with no "bumps." i do think he's a good composer.

yngwie and i, however, are not on such good terms lol.

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
(@voodoo_merman)
Reputable Member

Vai is clearly a magnificent player. But, I have difficulty enjoying his music (as much as Clapton, Johnson, Hendrix ect...) b/c hes so darn technically advanced and so theory savy, that his songs sound more like a display of his technique than something meant to entertain. The tech-heads/shredders (Malmsteen, Petrucci ect...) are fun to listen to sometimes. But, I usually find myself saying "wow, those guys are skilled" rather than "wow, that was a great song".

P.S. - Im not interested in a debate about this. And, im not saying that the blues is a better genre than neo-classical/shredding/prog-rock ect...Im just letting you guys know how I feel.

Ciao.

At this time I would like to tell you that NO MATTER WHAT...IT IS WITH GOD. HE IS GRACIOUS AND MERCIFUL. HIS WAY IS IN LOVE, THROUGH WHICH WE ALL ARE. IT IS TRULY -- A LOVE SUPREME --. John Coltrane

ReplyQuote
(@rocker)
Noble Member

imo, vai is the best technical guitar player i have ever heard 8)

even god loves rock-n-roll

ReplyQuote