Clear all

Strange Comparison

28 Posts
19 Users
0 Likes
(@the-dali)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Ok... I had some time to kill the other day so while I was practicing I started thinking about all the various brands of guitars and then started thinking about cars and then started thinking about how the might compare. I don't know... I wasn't smoking anything, but it seems to make sense... and then I started to actually document my thoughts...

What do you think? The list is made up of a combination of price, quality, brand recognition, scarcity, playability (drivability), etc... The list is not reflective of country of origin or anything like that... Just some thoughts...

Car-----Guitar

Honda-----Epiphone
Acura-----Heritage
Toyota-----G&L
Lexus-----McInturff
Scion-----BC Rich
Nissan-----Ibanez
Infiniti-----Rickenbacker
Mazda-----Yamaha
Subaru-----ESP
Mitsibushi-----Washburn
Porche-----Paul Reed Smith
BMW-----Fender
Audi-----Carvin
Mercedez-Benz-----Gibson
Volkswagen-----Schecter
Buick-----Dean
Cadillac-----Gretsch
Chevrolet-----Kramer
Chrysler-----Charvel
Dodge-----Peavey
Ford-----Jackson
Hyundai-----Samick
Jaguar-----Suhr
Kia-----Jay Turser
Lincoln-----Tom Anderson
Saturn-----Squier
Pontiac-----Agile / SX
Saab-----Guild
Volvo-----Hamer

Do you agree-disagree with the list, or specific entries of the list?

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

(@rahul)
Famed Member

Very nice ,

Every match makes sense !

This is what i call an 'Innovative' :)

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

I would have consider Fender to be Ford, popularity, classic, well known brand. Some I agree with, some I don't. I wouldn't put Jay Turser with Kia. I love Jay Turser, but they don't have the best or warranty, and certainly wouldn't become the most popular guitar any time soon.

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@oktay)
Reputable Member

The question is.. What is the Esteban of the auto world ? :) (By the way I saw a piece about Esteban in a guitar magazine.. a rather favorible one).

oktay

ReplyQuote
(@robbie)
Honorable Member

I agree Off He Goes. Soon as I read the content of this thread I thought of Fender as a Ford. Some of the others are OK but my Epiphone is not a Honda, Hondas don't need their electronics reworked (g) My 2 Ibanezes are Nissans. Couple you left off the list ie. the Godin could be a Honda, my Norman acoustic has pretentions to be a Martin, defintely a 57 Chevy or could be a big block Camaro thinking it's a Vette. Fun thread!
Robbie

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Esteban - Trabant

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

i would have compared Saturn to Godin because you get good value for the money. Squier is just cheap. I would have compared Lexus to Paul Reed Smith because I think of it as more of the luxury car. although Porsche certainly costs more.

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

Esteban - Trabant

I was thinking Lada.

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

lol I would have gone PRS = Ferrari, everyone wants one, most people can't afford one.

However, the PRS - Porsche works too, everyone wants one, most people can't afford one, if you can't afford one, you get the cheapest model you can and most people don't notice any difference.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Great list, although I wouldn't compare Gibson with Mercedes Benz. Gibson does not have that kind of quality.

But all in all, that was pretty accurate. :D

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

So what's the Rolls-Royce of the guitar world? I'd have put the Gretsch White Falcon there... I would have thought Ford = Squier, reasonably affordable, and parts are easily available - well made, nothing much goes wrong, and if somrthing does, doesn't cost an arm and a leg to fix.....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Great list, although I wouldn't compare Gibson with Mercedes Benz. Gibson does not have that kind of quality.

But all in all, that was pretty accurate. :D

Ha - you haven't read up on the Mercedes quality control record over the past 5 or 6 years. Very similar to Gibson. Name brand is very good, but actual quality is not on par with brand.

The Benz = high brand recognition, good product, quality so-so

The same with Gibson.

Great point on Fender equalling Ford. Probably a better representation. I guess I was working off the price-point with that one.

Love the Godin = Saturn. I missed that one.

By the way, I drive an Ibanez.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

I drive an epiphone Passport, but I wish I was driving a Fender Viper.

Fender = new meaning of Fender, not the one listed.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

where's the Martins?

so i guess I drive a Nissan, a BMW and a Saturn.

It's odd that the car i do own, a Mazda, i don't like their guitars...

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
(@jasonrunguitar)
Reputable Member

What a fun post. Very well thought out too, Dali. Though I have to admit, that I agree that Saturn doesn't go with Squire. I really like the Honda/Ibanez pairing, but I think I might like Saturn/Ibanez better...both a good quality for your dollar, well known, but not overly popular yet...and somehow they kind of look the same in my mind's eye...don't ask how, haha.

-Jason
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To those about to rock, we salute you!
http://www.soundclick.com/jasonwittenbach

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2