Clear all

Strings?

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@preacher)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

So today. I broke the high E string on my electric. Which surprised me, because the strings are still the original strings from December, from the box. Im looking for something around a 12, but Im not sure of a brand. I use Martin strings for my acoustics, but I dont think they have Martin electic strings.

I play the guitar, I taught myself how to play the guitar, which was a bad decision... because I didn't know how to play it, so I was a sh***y teacher. I would never have went to me. -Mitch Hedberg

(@katmetal)
Prominent Member

Well, I sure don't use 12's! I could never bend something that heavy. I mostly use 9 & 10's. There are guys that are real particular on certain brands of strings, but I'm not one of them. My thing is to look over the "bulk" sets on MF/GC/ other & find a good deal in my gauges.

A couple years ago I found a deal on Dean Markleys', after that I purchased a D'addario bulk set. Around Christmas last year I found a 10 pack set of Ernie Ball Super Slinky 9-42 for around $2.oo per set. As you can see, I'm not real picky! They all seem to play fine for me, & I submit that if you changed a guys strings while he wasn't looking to a different brand, 9 times out of 10 he wouldn't know the difference! :mrgreen:

Just my .02

ReplyQuote
(@mmoncur)
Estimable Member

I've tried just about every brand, and I keep going back and forth between D'Addario and Ernie Ball. I can tell (I imagine) a slight difference between them - the D'Addarios have a bit more of a shrill high end - but it's subtle. I'm trying the Elixir ones now because they're supposed to corrode less and I want to be lazy about changing strings.

The biggest difference is between old strings and new strings. So you'll always notice a big change (good or bad) when you change strings, but it doesn't mean much about the brand.

You might want to think twice about 12s - your guitar probably came with 9s or 10s. Also, if you do go with the 12s, you might need a setup to get your guitar to play as well as it did before, as there's much more tension on the neck.

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

You might want to think twice about 12s - your guitar probably came with 9s or 10s. Also, if you do go with the 12s, you might need a setup to get your guitar to play as well as it did before, as there's much more tension on the neck.

Ditto. 12's might be a bit much. Try to see if you can find out what strings came on your guitar, and if they're 9's, maybe move up to 10's. Who knows how long ago those strings were installed too. Could just be old.

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@preacher)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thank yall kindly for the time. The reason I said around mabe a 11 or 12, was I want to get more into the electric slide gutiar. And I know that something really small wouldnt necessarily be the most economic. :D

I play the guitar, I taught myself how to play the guitar, which was a bad decision... because I didn't know how to play it, so I was a sh***y teacher. I would never have went to me. -Mitch Hedberg

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

You can do well sliding on 10s in Open E, but I usually put 12s on. Only problem I've had is with strings binding in the narrow nut slots cut for 9s or 10s. "Sawing" the new strings in the slots will open them up.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote