Clear all

Studio Les Paul question

9 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@gotdeeblues)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I was in the local shop today looking for a Epiphone LP Standard or Studio. Three Studio in cherry sunburst next to each other, different thickness in the body(very noticable) and one had trapazoid inlay on the fretboard, the other two dot inlays, Know of a good source to research the differences? They also sounded quite different, but all nice in their own way.

(@nexion)
Honorable Member

From what I know of the Gibson LPs, the Studio doesn't have binding and has a thicker neck than the Standard. But here are two links to Epiphone's product page.

Studio:
http://epiphone.com/default.asp?ProductID=43&CollectionID=6

Standard:
http://epiphone.com/default.asp?ProductID=44&CollectionID=6

"That’s what takes place when a song is written: You see something that isn’t there. Then you use your instrument to find it."
- John Frusciante

ReplyQuote
(@gotdeeblues)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the reply. I've been to Epi's site, no help. These three guitars were all Studios, no Standards being compared, although I did check those out, too. Bought a Standard which just cried to be taken home.

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Are you sure they all really were Epi Les Paul Studios? Cause it sounds to me by your description that one or two of those might have been Epi LP 100's.
Here is an LP 100

The LP 100 has a bolt on neck and a thinner body. The Epi Les Paul Studio has a glued neck like the Standard just no binding.

Here is a Studio

Here is a Standard

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Oh, by the way ... think you will be glad you got the Standard.

ReplyQuote
(@nexion)
Honorable Member

Main differences:

LP 100:
2 Open coil humbuckers
Bolt-on neck
Dot fret inlay
Alder/Mahogany body
No carved top

Studio:
2 humbuckers
Set neck
Dot fret inlay
Mahogany/Alder body
Mahogany/Alder top

Standard:
2 humbuckers
Set neck
Trapezoid fret inlay
Mahogany body
Maple top
White binding

"That’s what takes place when a song is written: You see something that isn’t there. Then you use your instrument to find it."
- John Frusciante

ReplyQuote
(@gotdeeblues)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I am positive they were all Studios, set necks was all I was interested in so the 100 and special II were not being looked through. First I thought that there was a mis tagged guitar, but all headstocks read Studio..The feature differewnces in the model line up I was aware of and based on that had narrowed the search to Studios and Standards, since $00 was my limit right now. I actually wound up with a wine red standard that was a resale for $295 and looks like it never left the store, and a used valve jr to go with it for $109. Thanks for all the replies

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

A wine red Epi Les Paul Standard and a Valve Junior? You are set! Thats gotta sound sweet. Any pics?

ReplyQuote
(@jwishart77)
Estimable Member

Interestingly enough, I have been shopping for Standard's lately and the other day a shop guy showed me this cross sectioned one they have in shop. It's a normal Standard but has no finish and no pickups so you can see through the whole body (the point of it is to be able to easily try different pickups in the guitar).

He told me the main difference to the Studio was that the Standard has a thick arched maple top whereas the studio doesn't (as Nexion pointed out). I guess that is what gives the Standard that awesome solid tone that the Studios lack in comparison.

ReplyQuote