Clear all

Sudden Discovery

20 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@rahul)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Alright, so today I was listening to 'My Sharona' by the The Knack and never listened to it completely before.

Today it just kept on playing on the PC as I was typing a message here and suddenly this solo appears at 2.46 and I say WHAT ? Now I have already listened to this more than 10 times and even checked out this vid at youtube. :shock:

So have you ever discovered a new solo or a song like this ?

Share your experiences.

Also tell your current hot song or solo which you just can't resist listening to. Mine is (big surprise here) - My Sharona. 8)

Rahul

(@dneck)
Prominent Member

Chris Thile's countermelody on "The Beekeeper" is unreal

"And above all, respond to all questions regarding a given song's tonal orientation in the following manner: Hell, it don't matter just kick it off!"
-Chris Thile

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Wait till Rahul discovers what else he doesn't recall while hypnotized by the beat. :lol:

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@embrace_the_darkness)
Honorable Member

Share your experiences.

Also tell your current hot song or solo which you just can't resist listening to.

I've not discovered a new solo par se, but often when listening to music I havent heard in a while I'll pick out bits I never heard before I became a guitarist - I think it comes from being able to seperate the different sounds in the song instead of hearing just one big sound.

My current hot song? "Denpatou" by Asian Kung-Fu Generation. Those Japanese guys rock!

Pete

ETD - Formerly "10141748 - Reincarnate"

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

i had this CD here at home, called Graceland by Paul Simon. I never listened to it because I had once decided i didn't like it and it was unlistenable for me. today i listenend to it in the car driving somewhere and now it's my favorite. the entire CD.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I never really listened to Albatross by Fleetwood Mac much, it was just background music, nice to whistle along with - till I saw an old, old clip of the original F. Mac playing it. Never realised there was so much going on! Now when I play it, or it comes on the radio, I'll find myself following one part, then another. Funny how a record's been played for years, then one day you listen...I mean REALLY listen...to it for the first time!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I know, "if you remember the '70s, you weren't really there," but truthfully a lot of the lyrics are unremembered because we never HEARD them right on the sound systems of the day. On modern sound systems, even my little iPod, I understand stuff I never heard right back in the day!
:lol:

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

i had this CD here at home, called Graceland by Paul Simon. I never listened to it because I had once decided i didn't like it and it was unlistenable for me. today i listenend to it in the car driving somewhere and now it's my favorite. the entire CD.

It is truly a great collection. One of his best -- and as this is the Paul Simon, that is saying a lot.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@diceman)
Reputable Member

Alright, so today I was listening to 'My Sharona' by the The Knack and never listened to it completely before.

Today it just kept on playing on the PC as I was typing a message here and suddenly this solo appears at 2.46 and I say WHAT ? Now I have already listened to this more than 10 times and even checked out this vid at youtube. :shock:

Share your experiences.

Also tell your current hot song or solo which you just can't resist listening to. Mine is (big surprise here) - My Sharona. 8)

Rahul

I always felt that that solo was something they added to My Sharona after they wrote it . It has nothing to do with the rest of the song except being in the same key . It makes my list of favorite solos . My candidate for surprise solo would be in "25 or 6 to 4" by Chicago . It just wasn't their style to have an extended guitar solo in their songs .

If I claim to be a wise man , it surely means that I don't know .

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

My sentiments exactly to what you said, Diceman !

The song just keeps repeating in a defined rhythm and the high volume bassline keeps on repeating. So I never thought that there was a brilliant solo lying afterwards and always closed/changed the song.

And, I have to admit that I discovered 'Stairway to Heaven' like this also. Its pretty boring and slow moving for a first time listener (while starting). So once I decided to go through the whole song, to know what the hype about it, as being the greatest solo of all times.

However, after I was through, couldn't speak for a moment and you know what I did for the next few days. :shock:

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

That was a great cover of the solo. I always thought the song was pretty much a rip of Led Zeppelin though. Not putting it down, many groups were influenced by Led Zep, you can hear the influence in this song easily. But that was a good solo.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

My candidate for surprise solo would be in "25 or 6 to 4" by Chicago . It just wasn't their style to have an extended guitar solo in their songs .

That was of course very early Chicago -- I love many pieces on those first two albums, and 25 or 6 to 4 is my favorite, because it all comes together so well: tasty lead, punchy horns and fantastic vocal. Terry Kath was a great lead player, and also did some avant garde pieces with slide and feedback as well. Check out Freeform Guitar on the first album ('Chicago Transit Authority').

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Amos Garrett's solo in Midnight at the Oasis was a surprise treat for me.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Amos Garrett's solo in Midnight at the Oasis was a surprise treat for me.

Would that be Maria Muldaur's version? If so, that's a great solo, beautifully fluid and melodic. I remember reading an interview once - I presume it was Mr Garrett - and when the interviewer asked what tuning the slide solo was in, he replied that there was no slide solo - it was all done with slurs, slides and bends!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2