Clear all

This List (Greatest Ever Again...phew)

20 Posts
14 Users
0 Likes
(@rahul)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Yet another list of who was the greatest. But this time, no opinions from my side.

Here is a fully explained 'technical' list - List.

I didn't read it fully, but I am really amused to find Black Eyed Peas on the list and not Green Day (especially since it consists 'Live Performance' and 'Songs'.)

(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

The list can only be considered as the best in US history, bearing in mind they have only considered US sales. As non-US, I am happy to consider it non-relevant.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member

This list is flawed without factoring in UK Sales.

But for a US list, I'd say it's fairly accurate.

ReplyQuote
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member

The list can only be considered as the best in US history, bearing in mind they have only considered US sales. As non-US, I am happy to consider it non-relevant.

:mrgreen:

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

The truly interesting thing about this list, is the explicit rationale, which unlike other lists clearly points out where the reasoning was flawed -- or at least questionable.

These struck me immediately:

LZ and Jimi trump Steely Dan, Yes, Zappa and the Mothers, King Crimson for technical ability. Well .....
LZ and the Dead rated high for live perfomance. "High" indeed!

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@hueseph)
Noble Member

The truly interesting thing about this list, is the explicit rationale, which unlike other lists clearly points out where the reasoning was flawed -- or at least questionable.

These struck me immediately:

LZ and Jimi trump Steely Dan, Yes, Zappa and the Mothers, King Crimson for technical ability. Well .....
LZ and the Dead rated high for live perfomance. "High" indeed!

Okay, I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought the list is bunk. Rating Rush below Zeppelin for live performance and consitancy? That's not right. I don't even like a lot of Rush but by far their Live Performance and consistency is well above most on the top ten of that list.

Jethro Tull a 71 in Technical ability? Tool at 85? The Who at 83?

It seems to me to still be based on the opinions of individuals rather than on actual prowess or songwriting.

https://soundcloud.com/hue-nery/hue-audio-sampler

ReplyQuote
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member

Ummm Ever heard of Australian BANDS !!!

I hate these soo called best of the bests lists ..

Its like which guitar is the best or which car is the ...

Personal taste thats all it is ..

Here is to you as good as you are
And here is to me as bad as I am
As good as you are and as bad as I am
I'm as good as you are as bad as I am

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Its like which guitar is the best or which car is the ...

What's the John Dory? What respectable list would be missing Men at Work?!?!?

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

I have to agree with you, Trevor. My list is going to be completely different from your list which will be completely different from Rahul's list which will be completely different from GNease's list which will be completely different from Hueseph's list and so on and so on and so on. I don't believe that anyone could EVER come up with a completely definitive list that EVERYONE would agree with. I don't know why they bother to compile them!

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I don't know why they bother to compile them!

To provoke a reaction, to create a discussion, and so that the person who compiled the list can turn round to his mates and say, "Ner-ner, told you X was better than Y!" whilst thumbing his nose.....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Australia has BANDS?!?! :lol: Just kidding buddy. Couldnt resist.

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@causnorign)
Honorable Member

I haven't even checked out the list yet and I know I'll have some issues with it.

ReplyQuote
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member

So very true EB , I am very sure your list and mine would be totally different , but isn't that a good thing ?

How bland would it be if everyone loved Rap music ?
grrr rap music should be spelt with a C ..

Geoo can you name 2 other Aussie bands other then AC/DC and Men At Work ?

Ohh and leave out Mid Nite Oil and INXS ..

Is it getting harder now ?

The letter S has a few Aussie bands .. A female solists last year had a hits in the US and the UK ..she plays piano :)

Here is to you as good as you are
And here is to me as bad as I am
As good as you are and as bad as I am
I'm as good as you are as bad as I am

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Well, if any Aussie bands besides AC/DC should make the list, they would definitely be Midnight Oil and INXS.

A lot of seminal English bands missing as well -- The Specials, The Yardbirds, The Shadows ... One could argue that US sales may have doomed them, but then how does one explain Thievery Corp and Primus making the list? I love both, but how did they get an 'in'?

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Who are the Thievery Corporation?? Never heard of them. :roll:

Never heard of Orbital, Thievery Corporation, or The Orb. Who are these guys?? I am not sure I've heard of the Underworld either, but maybe.

I was a big T Rex fan back in the 70's. They never hit it real big in the U.S., but they were huge in Britain.

But I promise they sold more albums here than Thievery Corporation, Orbital, The Orb, or the Underworld.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2