Notifications
Clear all

This List (Greatest Ever Again...phew)

20 Posts
14 Users
0 Likes
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Wes, a lot of British groups never sold a thing in the States....Status Quo, for example, it's 40 years since Pictures Of Matchstick Men was a hit - and I think it's their only top 40 US hit, while they've had over 60 hits over here. Conversely, some bands who were huge in the US never had a hit over here....Grand Funk Railroad, for instance. It took Aerosmith till 1989 to crack the UK charts! Kansas were one hit wonders here - I've still never heard Dust In The Wind on UK radio. And at the same time TRex were huge, Slade were just as big in the UK, if not bigger...they never made it either.

I don't think Cliff Richards ever had a US hit (not sure, I think Move It might have been, back in the 50's...) but he's had over 100 chart singles in the UK! Worldwide sales, he must be in the top 10 at least....

I don't even know what this particular list is a list of - I know they explain why solo artists aren't included. But without including Elvis, for example, it's like having a list of the all-time great tennis players and not including Borg or Lendl.

I've never heard of ONE of the guys who compiled this list!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Vic

You are absolutely correct, no Elvis?? How good can that list be? But the qualifying term was "bands".

I've heard Slade and Cliff Richards, liked 'em both. Heard of Status Quo but not familiar with their music.

But I know all of the above mention outperformed "The Orbs" and those others I mentioned.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@oenyaw)
Reputable Member

The Orb is an "electronic" band. Actually quite interesting.

I'm suprised that King Crimson is finally in the top 40 of something.

But, where's Spirit? Bloodrock? Atomic Rooster? Roxy Music? The Ramones? WHITE WITCH?!?!?!?!?! :lol:

Brain-cleansing music for brain-numbing times in a brain dead world
http://www.oenyaw.com

ReplyQuote
(@oenyaw)
Reputable Member

Do you guys know that "Stairway to Heaven" and "Dream On" didn't get mainstream airplay until it had been out for about 3 years. Radio stations in the early 70's were too busy playing stuff like Loggins and Mesinna, Jim Croce, James Taylor, Carly Simon, America, and all that disco music. You should listen to Negativeland's cd "Helter Stupid" "Dick Morribunds music of the '70's" to get a good idea. I'm picking on the 70's for the reason that it's where most of those band on that list seem to be from. Interestingly enough, it's not like they played them on the radio when they came out.

I am glad that The Carpenters are on the list, though. I will sleep better tonight. "Rainy Days and Mondays" always get me down.

Brain-cleansing music for brain-numbing times in a brain dead world
http://www.oenyaw.com

ReplyQuote
(@purple)
Reputable Member

I like any list that puts Zeppelin as #1! :D :wink: There is no way anyone will come up with an accurate way to quantify bands even with a scoring system.

No Doubt is somewhere in the middle of the list?? No Doubt?? Are they serious?

It's not easy being green.... good thing I'm purple.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2